what's your job in life

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brie, Oct 21, 2005.

1. brie

brie New Member

I have been reading alot of the postings and seems as if quite a few of the people suffering from FM and CHF are in the medical field .I myself am a nurse and have both.So I was just curious as to the occupations of the sufferers
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2005]
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Sales Director for a 4 star restaurant/inn with a banquet facilty.. basically a glorified event/wedding planner.. love the job.. the stress and hours are killing me..
  3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi brie...I was a full-time mother first, and my children were 9 and 12 when I developed FM (and CFS, too, I think). I also managed 200+ acres of our fruit orchard until I finally turned a lot of that job over to my husband (when he was here full-time). I have continued the MOM position (my favorite) and still do the orchard bookkeeping (flexible schedule thank goodness), but miss having the energy to "do it all" as I did before. Interesting thread...I was planning on being a nurse, but it didn't work out. Let's keep this going...God Bless. B
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Is to appreciate each day. Or sometimes just to endure each day. To try to find pleasure in the moment, to smile, laugh, give my family a chuckle and scratch their backs. To grow as a person.

My job in life is to be a super me. To discover my talents and nurture myself. To learn, to read, to support people and recieve support. To rest. To dream. To cry and grow. To respect myself. To morph into this awesome being in touch with the cosmic pulse of the universe and all its creatures!!!

SO... as you can see... I'm unemployed!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Serriously though, I hope to be a writer some day,an artist, something! I'm 23, and never been able to have a job.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2005]
  5. teacher

teacher New Member

is to drive my mother crazy. I manage to do that each and every day! Fortunately she still loves me.

Seriously, elementary Vocal Music Teacher.

teacher
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

to the wall and try to figure out how to motivate my husband to take care of HIS health, as well as to get the place we bought but didn't move to in order to be put up for sale. Thus the talking to the wall.LOL!

I was always a domestic goddess, but more of a house wife. You couldn't eat off my floors but then you could at least SEE them back then. Now with dozens (millions?) of packed boxes from the failed move around the walls, unable to find anything I need (or even remember what all I have after over a year of this!) it is impossible to do more than keep a path clean..as well as the bathroom, kitchen, the bedroom we use and the laundry room. Also keeping up laundry and bedding.

If this is all ever undone and the other place sold, and the decision made to sell or not this house too..I will have to reevaluate WHAT my job in life is. I have the "ideas" to do many things, but I don't have the physical strength or stamina to follow my ideas. I think it will be to become the best "something" I can be and I'll have to get there to know just what that is.
  7. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Hi -

I work for a major health insurer and have been there since 1988. I love my job I manage in an Underwriting Department and my boss has become my best friend.

I work too many hours and I'm feeling it so much worse now that I have these symptoms. I also am sitting alot, so I bought one of those chair pad thingies that heat and vibrate - it's quite helpful. I also try to get up every 1/2 hour or so and stroll to the bathroom or through the department to get myself moving.

I have alot of problems after sitting for too long, I say I look like the tin man because I get up and start moving so slow until I get some momentum going!

Happy thoughts -
    Kathi
  8. malinta

malinta New Member

Hi,

I was a Teacher before the cfids/fm came along.I'm now completely disabled.

My sister was a nurse before she was diagnosed with cfids/fm. She is now disabled.
  9. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I went to college to be a journalist/editor for a newspaper and now I ended up being a residential counselor for developmentally disabled adults. I love it much more! I was a reporter for 7 months and it was miserable. This is a much better fit and less stressful. Most of all, I work no more than 40 hours and I never take my work home with me:)
  10. emiltim

emiltim New Member

I always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. Didn't quite work out that way. Now I'm a single mom.

I have been a 'mailman' (lady, whatever...no PC here)for 11 years. Only 19 to go till retirement! Something tells me I'm not going to make it that long........-Julie
  11. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

I retired due to disability after 32 years of being an Electronic Technician at a phone company.

Now living off of Social Security in the mountains which is much more preferable than my 1st job...well,except for the money.

Dee
  12. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I hope to be one again someday!!! I miss my life! Joy
  13. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I am amazed by the diversity and expertise on this board! I was a regional Manager for Dental Manufacturer. Now I am Mom to Grant (4 in January) and Bryan (20 in December). Supporter of Dave the bread winner and Husband extroidenaire.

I am so many other things! Daughter to wonderful parents, Sister, Friend, Horseback rider, Salsa dancer Well trying to be!, Crafty, Good Listener, Antique and Flea market queen, Room mother, Volunteer Occasional pain in the butt and all around pretty good girl!

Love you guys and all the things you do! Lynn
  14. abbey23

abbey23 New Member

Hey there--I was a middle school teacher for 5 years and now I stay home full time with our children 2 and 1. They are my life, besides my husband and parents and sister--I tutor also after school hours--I miss teaching sometimes, but truly relish the fact that I am teaching my own children--

Take good care

Love, abbey
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

Currently, I am the bookkeeping of our large farming operation. I also do taxes not only for ourselves but for everybody else in the family. I also keep a close eye on my elderly mother who is a widow, and both of my elderly in-laws.

I am a terrible wife (LOL)--only because I am unable to cook, clean, get groceries, and run all the other errands without assistance.

I try to be a great mother and grandmother.

I currently am disabled and drawing a pension and SSDI.

I retired in July, 1999, after more than 30 years service with a large corporation that was a contractor for the U.S. federal government. I was the Small Business Coordinator in their Corporate Procurement Division. Absolutely loved my job! Hated to quit working!! Retired on an early retirement due to many health problems. I could no longer mentally or physically do the A#1 job that I was used to doing.

I used to work at least a 60 hour week, not including the 100+ miles RT commute to get to and from work. I really miss it!!! I still dream about work often!

I was planning to work until I was 68 years old, so it would make me working 50 years at the same company! Wow, what a terrific company service award I would have received for 50 years service!!!!! However, all of my health problems ruined my plans!! I have many major health problems in addition to the fibro/cfs.
  16. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

i was a hair stylist for 20plus years. had to quit about 10 years ago, due to another health issue. after that i worked in retail for about 6yrs, i have not been able to work for the last 2yrs, but was just dz i have fm. i went on medical leave 2yrs ago due to other health issues. fibro is just the bonus (joking). but seriously, today i wish i could do have of what i could do prior to this DD and other things.
    so today i wonder what my purpose is, well i found out, it is to raise my grand daughters. they are my joy in life.
    becca
  17. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Hi Brie-

Although I don't work in the medical field, after all the docs I've been too, I feel like I do!

I was formerly an interior design assistant at an architectural firm while I was in graduate school to become a certified designer.

Currently---> not working or going to school
  18. auntcon

auntcon New Member

when i worked but stopped working when I had Laura (16 in Dec)

I hope you're going to add these up ;-D

Maybe being around "sickness" has given us something -- besides a pain in the....
  19. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

We have a large organic farm and I used to do a lot more of that work but no longer can do much. I have been a stay at home mom now for about 5 years. SOme other jobs I have done, dog groomer, waitress, factory worker.

20. lease79

lease79 New Member

I was only a student when I first fell ill, & struggled on for a couple of years with my studies before becoming a Mum.
    I am disability & am totally unable to take on any part time work even, as my body just hurts so darn much, I can't stay awake to drive, & my heart wont do as it's told :(
    I really REALLY wanted to be a nurse/mid :(