What's your sleep drug? I know its said before but..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wolverine, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Of course as I'm sure this is a main topic for so many and is often discussed, but I need to try something else for sleep!

Sleep's gotten so backward I've been sleeping like 1hr at night, then unable to again until about midday till 5-6pm. Its horrid, cant function in the least.

I hate phenergan but I used it last nite, and finally slept from 2am-8am for once. Needed more but coudln't sleep again till i crashed for 2hrs at 6pm.

However phenergan is the WORST. Like many sleep drugs it stays in my brain for at least 24hrs. Have the worst, groggiest heaviness in the head, brain and body all day off it, and thats only 1/4 of a 10mg tablet.

So hard to find anything that doesnt give worse side effect than benefit. Been on valium for years, its one of the only things I tolerate for some reason. Only on 1/2 a tab still though, which doesnt put me to sleep. Sometimes 1, even that doesnt work well. I'd have to keep raising it to get the sleep effect, which I won't do.

Anyone had success with certain drugs that don't leave you non functionally hung over all the next day? I've tried Ambien, unisom, diphenhydramine (benadryl) and some others, all have intolerable effects i.e. complete zombie brain flattening the next day. Melatonin is pretty much just as bad. My personality and communication with people just leaves the building for about 24hrs. All herbal sleep remedies are completely useless.

Let me know! ~C.
  2. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Wolverine!

I too have tried many meds to help me sleep over the years. I have had CFS and fibro for 12 years. My dr. put me on Lyrica about 3 years ago and it really helped with the fibro pain. She slowly put me up to 300 mg. and it was just too much so I ended up going down to 100 mg. and it is the perfect dosage. The Lyrica helps me sleep as I take it before I go to bed. I also take Klonipin, (Clonazepam), 2 mg. with the Lyrica at night and let me tell you it is the magic dosage for me! The Clonazepam works so much better than Zanax and others like it. I never wake up feeling groggy and usually sleep very well. So, this is my combo of choice. I hope this helped and good luck finding the right sleep meds. Good sleep is imperative with those of us who have these DD's!

Peace and Comfort, Julie
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've taken Trazodone 50-100mg for years, works the best for me. I take it a half hr or so before bed and it also works best if you have an empty stomach (kicks in faster). I also tried the various sleep meds (Ambien, Lunesta, etc) and they didn't agree w me.

Good to see you Chris, I've thought about you and wondered how you were doing. This board has slowed way down compared to how it used to be, but it's always good to hear from some of our old posters.

Best wishes on your sleep dilemma....Hermit
  4. lucysun

lucysun New Member

I have tried a lot of things. The best for me was remeron 15 mg - it is not for everyone as it can cause weight gain, but it works like a dream for my sleep! It is an antidepressant with antihistamine properties, so deep sleep is actually kind of a beneficial side effect. I don't feel hungover like I did on trazadone or flexeril or elavil.

Xanax XR is also good for short term insomnia.

Good luck!
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

My days and nights are turned around too. I sleep from 8:30 am till about 7:30 pm. It's impossible to function like this in a daytime world.
    Going to the doctor or dentist is really hard. So sorry you're having to go through this.

I used to take the 25mg benadryl capsules and they left me groggy the next day also. I finally switched to the children's chewable that are only 12.5 mg., but they discontinued them. Now I take the Walgreens brand children's chewable and have no problem. They're called Wal-dryl. gb66
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I take a 1/2 to 3/4 pill of generic ambien--occasionally I can't sleep on that amount and then take a little more. I also take neurotin and I know that makes me sleepy too.

I do take tramadol for the Fibro pain but at night I only take 1/2 of the dose as I have found it keeps me awake.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

On why a person isn't getting sleep. In my case, a sleep study determined that my brain waves were not typical and I wasn't getting good quality sleep. Klonopin works for me bacause it is an antiseizure med and it keeps my neurons from overfiring and misfiring. I've been on the same dose for about 11 yrs. and not developed a tolerance to it. I do not have addiction issues but if I ever want to quit, I'll have to slowly wean off to avoid harsh withdrawal.

Lyrica has an antiseizure med in it. Many take neurontin and get better sleep. It is an antiseizure med.

I wake up alert with the Klonopin but every drug affects everyone differently.

Love, Mikie
  8. grateful patient

grateful patient New Member

If you refer to an earlier posting I made on 08/30/11 7.11 pm In Appreciation of Dr Jay A Goldstein you will see a drug-free method I use. It is self-explanatory and if you read the responses and replies you will understand more eg where to get it. It will cost a bit though. My sleep is 95% improved.

Grateful Patient.
  9. grateful patient

grateful patient New Member

Jamin Health

Sorry if you misunderstood but I included the details of my posting and can be accessed that way....saves me reposting as I am not feeling so good today.

Grateful Patient.
  10. luigi21

luigi21 Member

Im on the diazepam too. Only thing that works for me also, and yes i mess around with the dosage to avoid addiction. But I've read in study's it doesn't only work as a muscle relaxant but also actually helps change the brain waves back to normal sleep so im sticking with it, i'd go mad without my sleep again.
  11. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

Over time klonopin can interupt deep sleep patterns. Dr. Rodger Murphree, has one of the most comprehensive description in his book--treating and beasting cfids--about what exactly is happening to our brains--that is stopping us from sleeping......one of the main reasons we do not sleep is because our bodies are not making the hormones we need to sleep. Try looking into taking a comprehensive formula that addresses the underlying issues as to why you are not sleeping......you want to get into rem sleep---or you will never be well----i suggest you google this doctor ----he recommends a combo of aminio acids and other things to address these issues......remember we must produce sufficient quantities of sleep hormones---in order to get proper restorative sleep---we must produce these chemicals in order to think and remember,as well.....these chemicals include serotonin, dopamaine, norepinephrine, etx.....antidepressants do not make us produce these chemicals.....we need the raw materials!
  12. MsE

MsE New Member

One-half low-dose Lorazepam and one-half low-dose generic Ambien. Or, one low-dose Lorazepam tablet and a couple of aspirin. Do these work? Sort of. Better than nothing.