wheat allergy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NanceZ, Aug 8, 2003.

1. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

I just figured out I can no longer eat wheat.

Anybody out there have ideas or recipes to helpw ith this new diet change for me?
  2. nitengal42in

nitengal42in New Member

You can also use spaghetti squash. All you have to do is put water in the bottom of a casserole dish, set the spaghetti squash in the water, cover with foil and bake it until it is soft.

Then you cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and drag out the squash with a fork. It looks like an orange colored spaghetti and is really good with a nice marinara and parmigan regiano cheese.

Good luck
    Stacey
  3. mje

mje New Member

I have a grandson whose allergy to wheat has been severe for several years. My daughter (his mother) has found a big help with the food allergy network. I think they have a news letter, and send out flyers when a food company may
    change a product and the consumer may not be aware of it, and think it has been ok in the past to consume. I do not know about the website, but I would think they have one.
    You probably could do search on the internet and find it,
    or your physician may know about it.
    Hope this helps. Also your library may be a source of help
    with recipe books for an allergy situation.
    Good luck and best regards to all who use this board. MJE
  4. kgg

kgg New Member

Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids, by Sheri Sanderson. I have not tried it, but a friend says her kids love the stuff from this book. Have the library get it for you if its not on the shelf. That way you don't waste money. Also, rice pasta is not too bad. I never did get used to rice bread.
  5. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

You'd be surprised how much good food there is out there for you. You can get some great pastas, for example. I like quinoa pasta the best, but you can also get rice (in many grocery stores) or bean pastas. Try a bunch of different kinds and make it an adventure. You can also get some good rice and almond bread in the freezer case of upscale grocery stores. All of this is available in health food stores. I also found that spaghetti sauce tastes pretty good on a baked potato. As for pizza, if you get wheat-free bread mix you can make your own crust, or you can use pre-made wheat-free bread and put pizza topping and cheese and stuff on it and brown it in the oven. And you can get some great cookie and brownie mixes if you can eat chocolate. But I've gradually moved away from all those carbohydrates and eat more protein and vegetables now. Watch out for hidden wheat in prepared foods - usually called "modified food starch". Also avoid MSG and soy sauce (made from wheat). If you do an internet search for "gluten-free" or "celiac" you will be able to hook into all kinds of great recipes and ideas. It's not so bad once you get used to it.