"Wheat Belly"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 8, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm reading this book on my Kindle. A friend recommended it when she heard I can no longer eat wheat. Evidently, there are a LOT of people have problems with wheat even though they do not qualify as having Celiac Disease.

It's an excellent book because wheat is virtually in all processed foods and it can cuase all kinds of disease. I've been eating gluten-free foods but have stopped because he does not recommend them as they are high in carbs, like rice flour and potatoe starch. Strangely, I gained seven pounds but my pants are fitting much looser. I need to get rid of the other carbs in addition to not eating wheat.

If anyone has a weight problem, especially around the middle, is insulin resistant, is diabetic, or even those with our illnesses, this book is definitely worth the read.

Love, Mikie
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Years ago one of my kids told me about the Atkins diet, he lost a lot of weight relatively quickly on it. It was too extreme for me, but it did give me a guide to eating to lose weight, the only way I've been able to lose weight while being almost completely sedentary due to CFS, which is low carb, a fair amount of protein and lots of vegies when I do it right, and a little bit of fat and a little bit of fruit, and almost no processed food. I eat very little wheat and have not had white rice or pasta or white potatoes (white food!) in a very long time and almost no sugar (a little bit of jam or honey).

And no eating after 7:00 p.m. When I want a snack, I'll have small handful of almonds or a piece of cheese with a whole grain cracker.

I credit this diet with keeping me from developing blood sugar problems and being able to lose weight, while being very inactive physically.

You're very right about wheat. I think one of the first things most integrative medicine doctors will ask their patients is if they eat wheat. I don't have celiac disease but years ago was diagnosed with a wheat allergy. I eat it once in a while, but can't remember the last time I had pizza or a bagel.

It sounds like a good book! Good luck with your surgery - it's coming up quick, I think - keep us posted -

3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

You're right, Mikie. A lot of people are intolerant of wheat (gluten) including me.

If feel better when I avoid gluten. I'm not overweight, but it helps in other ways to avoid it.

I have not read "Wheat Belly", but I read an article about it on the Natural News website. I read another article on that site that said that approx 50 yrs ago, wheat was 5 % gluten, and now it is 50% gluten.

It is hidden in practically all processed foods like you said, so I eat whole foods.

Thanks for sharing this information that can benefit many people. I think that we would all be better off being gluten free.
  4. deepak

deepak Member

I am following the Mcdougall diet since six months and I swear by it. It has resolved so many issues of mine or made them much better.

It is the opposite of a high protein diet- He advocates a STARCH based diet - sweet potatoes, potatoes, corn, beans , legumes etc but NO added oils and NO milk or milk products.

I have lost 17 kilos in the past 6 months- eating AS MUCH as I want of these foods !! I do not feel I am restricting myself at all. My total cholestrol is down to 120 ! and I feel more energy than I have since a long time.

If you google, he has a website with a super discussion board on his diet and apparently even Bill clinton is doing this diet.

Also, an interesting read is THE CHINA STUDY which advocates a similar diet.

5. deepak

deepak Member

A nutritional expert here told me it is ok to eat wheat in India as it has not been genetically modified - YET ! But USA wheat is modified so not good -

Go away Monsanto !!

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks to you all for your helpful posts. Mary, thanks for the good wishes on the surgery. It's on Tues. I'll let y'all know on Wed. how it went.

According to the book, it isn't the GMO wheat which is the problem. The problems with wheat started when the world became agricultural and began hybridizing the wheat. Of course, GMO wheat can't be a good thing either. Even non-GMO wheat can cause problems. In a few places, they are trying to grow heritage wheat but it doesn't bake well.

Yes, I do find it interesting that Monsanto makes the insecticides and then modifies the wheat to be immune to these poisons. Yikes!!!

Wheat is no longer amber waves of grain. The new wheat is a dwarf variety which yields as much as ten times what the old, taller wheat yielded. So, one day, world hunger will no longer be a problem. The problem will be a world full of sick people.

Love, Mikie