Wheel Chair or Skooter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosesark, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Rosesark

Rosesark New Member

I do have a question: Does anyone here have to use a wheel chair or skooter? and has your insurance helped with the cost? Guess that's 2 questions!! I do have to use a wheel chair to go to the mall as my legs get too weak if i have to walk a distance and i always have to use the motor carts at the grocery store. If i do get stubborn and walk, i will pay for it by the end of the day and sometimes for a few days after. I would like to have my own skooter since there are a lot of times that all the carts are taken at the stores and i will have to wait at the front till one is brought back. I know they are expensive and since i am new to this, i am not familar with all the insurance assistance or the dissability issues. I did have to quit working in june. I could not even do a 4 hour shift. today, i am having a very weak and painful day, and had to use the wheel chair, but my arms kept giving out and i had to keep stopping and resting before i could go on. Hope you all are having a better day. Rose
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

First let me welcome you to the board. I purchased a scooter last fall because I have neurally Mediated Hypotension, along with my CFS and FM. The NMH makes it difficult for me to stand more than a few minutes at a time. As the day wears on the time I can stand decreases. This is all due to a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system.

I was also using the electric carts in the stores where they are provided, which is really only three around here, my grocery, Home Depot and Target. I know what you mean about there not always being one to use though.

I can't walk far enough to really shop at all without one. I also had a great deal of difficulty walking my dog. Due to my FM I am unable to push myself in a wheelchair, so that was not an option for me.

Insurance will only cover mobility devices when they are needed all the time for you to be able to get out of bed, move around your house, etc. Since that is not true for me my doc and I agreed that it was a waste of time to even try to get insurance to pay for my scooter.

I shopped around quite a bit and went to two dealers where I could try them out. Finally I was ready to make a purchase. In the meantime I had purchased a new van so I would be able to transport my scooter. I was previously driving a Honda Civic and it would only have held a dismantled scooter in the trunk. That would have been too heavy and cumbersome for me to take apart and put back together, so I decided to get a van.

One reason I bought a new one was that besides there being large rebates at the time the auto manufacturers will reimburse you for up to $1,000 of expenses involved in making it possible for you to use a mobility device in a newly purchased vehicle. I bought a lift and had it installed.

I got my scooter in September and have used it for shopping, walking my dog, and just about anything I have wanted to do. It has given me back my independence.

One thing you may want to consider is purchasing a used one. You can call dealers and they often have them for sale. You can also get in touch with a local support group for more info on scooters. That helped me in deciding where to purchase, and which brand to go with.

I was able to buy a scooter which fits me just right. I am rather tall and I wanted a scooter that did not bump into my legs when I was using it. I was also looking for a comfortable seat with armrests that I could actually rest my arms on while I use my scooter. By ordering an upgrade seat I was able to get just what I wanted.

Scooters are a big investment, but I had been in treatment for my NMH for nine months when I finally bought my scooter. I felt like I had improved about as much as I could expect, so to me it was worth the investment.

Barbara
  3. lea

lea Member

Hi Rose:

Since all insurance plans are different, it is really best to contact your insurance company. For instance, all Blue Cross plans, even in the same state, are different.

Hi Barbara: How did you find out about the reimbursement for a lift? Did you simply contact the manufacturer? Any insight would be most appreciated.

best,
    lea

>>>
    One reason I bought a new one was that besides there being large rebates at the time the auto manufacturers will reimburse you for up to $1,000 of expenses involved in making it possible for you to use a mobility device in a newly purchased vehicle. I bought a lift and had it installed.

>>>>
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2002]
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I don't remember how I found out about the reimbursement from auto manufacturers. It was probably somewhere in my research. You can go to the website of major manufacturers to see if they have it, or contact a dealer. It is called Automobility, at least for Chrysler products. The dealer gives you a form to fill out and you take it to the dealer who installs the lift and when it's complete mail it in. The check came in just a few weeks.

Barbara
  5. Rosesark

Rosesark New Member

Thanks for the info Barbara. Since i am not able to work right now, we have been in very difficult financial status, so to buy one would be out of my reach for quite a while, but i was curious and i thank you for the info again. Rose