Wheelchair Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granny12, Mar 17, 2004.

1. granny12

granny12 New Member

Thanks to everyone that answered my suicidal post. It's great to feel that someone cares. I have to admit I still feel that way sometimes but I am fighting it.

I was wondering if anyone here uses a wheelchair to get around. I never see anyone mention it. I had what was called a wheelchair evaluation which your doctor has to okay and 2 physical therapists come several times to see if it is necessary and will help you. They did authorize a motorized chair for me as my arms and hands are too weak for a regular chair. I only use it on days that I really need to. It allows me to do more than I would if I had to be on my feet and conserves my strength so less pain.

I'm getting a hospital bed also as it will allow better positions for sleeping. My legs hurt so bad! The bed is used and doesn't cost much so it's worth a try.

Let me hear from you.
    I should have mentioned that Medicare only approves wheelchairs for use at home. They don't care if you ever go outside. Other insurances probably have different criteria.[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2004]
  2. ranger

ranger New Member

I didn't know about the 'evaluation'. Thanks for that info.
    I only need one when I go somewhere where I have to walk a lot also. But I normally rent one out from the place, which is ok.
    You are lucky to get your own and not totally depend on a pusher.

I was thinking of getting a plain one of my very own at a rummage/garage sale somewhere. I do see them once in a while around here at those sales. Especially church sales.

Go pop some wheelies.

Hugs,
    Andrea

Good for you. Lot of people on here are wheel chair users, even if just part time.
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Yes, I also use a wheelchair, but only when we go somewhere that requires a lot of walking. I can walk for quite awhile on soft ground, but concrete really ups my pain. It took me awhile to realize this. I don't have a motorized chair, but my husband is thinking maybe we should get one down the road as he is the one who has to do the pushing. It was hard having to use it at first, but it sure beats having the extra pain.

I am concerned you are having suicidal thoughts at times. I know depression is common for those of us with FM. Pain can certainly do that to you. I know that sometimes I get scared wondering what my future will be like, but I am trying to take it one day at a time. I am 45 now. I am not on an anti-depressant, but know to get on one if I need to. I was on one for awhile after my dad died so I know how I feel when I need the medication. If you are not on an anti-depressant, maybe you should talk to your doctor about this?

I am fortunate that I have somewhat of a support system (this message board is a big part of that!). My husband is pretty supportive and I have a friend and in-laws who have been good, too. I also belong to a support group that meets monthly.

Ellen
  4. Xausted01

Xausted01 New Member

I am about to use a wheelchair for the first time this weekend. We are going on a family outing that will require alot of walking. My husband actually suggested it. I know that it is the best thing, but I know that I will feel self conscious.
  5. GlitterPott

GlitterPott New Member

Yes I sometimes use a wheel chair but its only when I am going somewhere I know there is a lot of walking to do, and I too usually rent it from the place we are visiting.
    Other than that I have a pair of crutches for support when I am having problems with my legs.

Love and hugs Shelley xxx
  6. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

Wheelchair is a must! My then 10 y.o. was using wheelchair because it was the only way he could get some fresh air! We would tuck him in and go out after dark for a stroll in the neighborhood. He was too ashamed to be seen in wheelchair.
    Sometimes he would walk some distance and then sit again. The church donated us a simple wheelchair that folds up and fits into the trunk. If a small boy needs it then granny needs it too!
  7. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

I got myself one of those lightweight companion chairs.........medicare payed for it. My arms are too weak to use a regular wheelchair that's why I opted for the companion chair.........plus much lighter and easy for my daughter to load or unload.

I use the motorized carts whenever they are available........I've been using them for the last couple of years..........if I know I have alot of shopping.........otherwise......if it's just a few items........I will attempt to not use them...........also depends on how big the store is. If its super WalMart............I always have to use their motorized carts.

Tammy
  8. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

I was going to reply that I have seen several posts about wheelchairs here. Then I saw the lovely posts to you. Then I read your profile. My mind has the "skippys" tonight. Skipping from one thing to another.

I collect dolls also. My current "passion" is Richard Simmon's "Nana's Family". I just love the old people. Listen to me. After this "plague" I look like the old people too.

I live on 34 acres and get around on it on a mule. No, not that kind of mule. A Kowasaki Mule. It's sort of like a Golf Cart. But you live on a farm so you probably knew what I was talking about.

Get that wheelchair and that bed. I envy you. Happy Trails. And sweet dreams.

Dee
  9. fllfibro2003

fllfibro2003 New Member

I use mine only when I'm going to be going somewhere that requires me to walk or stand for more than 10 minutes. It is a God Send at Wal-Mart, I can wheel around everywhere.

Sometimes I think I need a motorized one because of my hands and arms, but I not sure my insurance company would pay for that considering they paid for the wheelchair.

I'm glad to hear you are doing somewhat better although the fact that you are still having these thoughts bothers me. I hope you are seeing a therapist about this, I know I would be thinking that way if I didn't have someone to go to.

Good Luck
    FLlfibro
  10. fibrolindak

fibrolindak New Member

Hi Granny!
    I don't have a wheelchair,but many times wish I did. I use a walker around the house, otherwise I wouldn'tt
    be able to walk at all-too much pain and too unsteady. I do use the electric carts that are available in supermarkets and walmart. My husband and I use to love to go for walks in the evenings before I became unable and sort of peek into people's homes to see how they decorated-only from the sidewalk, mind you!

Anyway, take advantage of any way you can get around and enjoy yourself!

Lots of love!
    Linda
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

for 18 years. I struggled on crutches and kep falling. My GP told me I needed one and I obviously showed what I felt, that it was giving in. Well he asked me what my problem was, did I want a life, or for the struggles and falls to go on? He never minced words.

well thank to that GP I got my mobililty allownace (now mobility componant of DLA) and so had the funds ot buy one.

Without my powered chair I have no life outside the home. It enabled me to do more things with my son who was young then and to get outsdie the house. Less exhaustion from struggling gave me more physical and mental energy for other things in my life. When medical incidents left me more ill and disabled (including a grade exerciose programme)having a powered chair became all the more important.

Accepting the need for a chair is not giving in, it will open up your world and your life, it does not mean giving up on walking. some models are for both indoors and out, I wonder if with a bit of help you could get funding for one that's officially for indooors but can be used outside as well.

good luck

Love
    Tansy
  12. mommylovescayla

mommylovescayla New Member

do you have a web site? i pray you do, medicare covers it?
    brenda
  13. Peace7

Peace7 New Member

I have a "Quickie" wheelchair.
    I use the electric carts at the stores but if we go somewhere that requires much walking such as the mall or the hospital, I use my wheelchair.
    I don't have the strength to push it. Thank God my husband doesn't mind.

Anne
  14. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

Brenda, I happened to get my companion chair at my local wheelchair rental agency. I'm sure your local medical supply store.....whatever that may be, can give you a catalogue.........or just ask them about the companion chairs. In order to get a companion chair, your Doctor has to write out a prescription of course...........and it must specify that you have upper body weakness as well..........otherwise you can only get the regular wheelchairs which are much heavier.

Yes medicare payed for it ....80%. I also have Medicaid which covered the rest.

Tammy
  15. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I have a wheel chair but only use it on really bad days cause I'm not very mobile with it. I also have a walker that I use on bad days. I must have every walking aid known to medical science. I have two canes which I use on really good days. On most days, I use two forearm crutches which give me about the right amount of support.I guess my point is you don't have to be locked into any one thing. Use whatever works best for a given situation.

Hugs,

Jackie
  16. bidamom

bidamom New Member

I too think you're brave to have openly talked about suicide thoughts/attempts. I have a button in my brain that goes off every so often that tells me just end it all. Then I think of my kids and animals and the fact that life really is too short in the big picture. I can see where it gets too tempting to even allow yourself to eeven think about it. As for let pain - have you tried calcium. magnesium & zinc? I take a second dose at bedtime if my legs have been hurting and cramping...it seems to work. good luck
  17. darude

darude New Member

Fo Nu gal Shelby!!!
  18. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Our Apartment is so tiny I couldn't manuevar(sp) one around
    A lot of time I can't manage stairs so I spend most days in my bedroom.I get out when myhusband has off and use the wheelchairs in the stores.