Wheelchair...when is the right time to think about getting one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debra49659, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I have severe FM, severe lower back pain, etc. I have been using a cane but it is getting hard to use that as well, I have to put so much weight on it that it hurts may shoulder and arm.

When is it the right time to think about a wheelchair??

Thanks for any advise,
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

My advice would be , how often would you need a wheelchair?

The reason i'm asking is because a person having FM very much needs body movement. I feel the worst thing for my fm is to not sit for a length of time. Even though my feet, knees and back have so much pain i must keep moving and rest when i need too.

If your cane is getting harder to use due to shoulder and arm pain, have you considered a walker with wheels ?

3. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i got mine early on when i was still well enough to go out of town and want to shop in a mall...i can't walk very far without lots of back pain so in order to be able to do stuff, i got the chair...now, unfortunately, i feel so crappy that i don't feel good enough to go out and be pushed anywhere....

a cane or walker would be tough for me cuz i have wrist and palm pain...oh and elbow and shoulder and neck....hehe
  4. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Probably at stores...or if we go somewhere that might include a lot of walking (I usually get left out). Never thought of a walker, I'm afraid of the lack of mobility too with a wheel chair but I hate getting left out of activities with my family as well.

Thanks for the help butterflydream:)
  5. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

hi Deb,
    Have you thought of the mobility chair, i see them advertised on tv, are they called the scooter chair or something. Those would be wonderful to have on an outing that calls for alot of walking. i would much better have one of them than a wheelchair.

i wasn't for sure if you meant a wheelchair for all the time use. What you explained makes alot more sense , I've been thinking of discussing this with my doctor for a prescription for a mobility chair, i can't do the long distance walking either.

Hope this gives you an idea to consider also, then no one would have to push you around, i think they run by battery, not for sure.