When do dr.'s get suspicious

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have been taking hydrocodine just when I was dying from pain.I have these awful bulging disks in my neck and they hurt so bad.I have been in physical therapy.I called my therapist today concerned about my pain.I was afraid to even do my exercises today.When I told her how little pain meds. I was taking she encouraged me to take the medication to control my pain.

Having constant pain I hate to have to take these pain meds. every 4 to 6 hours but honestly it feels so much better since I started taking them like perscribed today.

I am afraid that the dr. will stop giving me meds. one day.I have my reheumy. that makes me sign a form with her agreeing to keep her informed of any pain meds I take and then I have my ortho. treating my constant neck pain unrelated to fm.

My biggest fear of taking pain meds. is not addiction so much as the dr. no longer giving me the medication to control my pain and then having this pain constantly without any help.Dr.'s are so worried about treating pain.I just pray that I have 2 good dr.'s that will help me to keep pain under control.I feel I have the best helping me but when the pain becomes this severe and the pain medication is getting stronger I just wonder how long will that support be there before I am cut off,if I am.

Let me know what you all think.
    Thanks everyone,
    Sheila
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

Hi. I totally understand. As a matter of fact, I posted a topic similar to this earlier today. I don't have pain meds yet, and am afraid the doctor is going to be scared to prescribe them to me. Don't know how I can deal with this much pain w/o anything for the bad flareups.
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I take my pain meds, my neuroleptics, and psychotropics. When I end up in the local hosp. is it hell. They give you nothing! So of course you feel like the devil.
    I also have narcolepsy and COSA. I took no meds for that until about day 5.
    Like most, I have mitral valve prolapse w/PVCs. I now have cardiomegaly; take same old beta blockers but they work; however, Jan.05 I had a calcification in one of my coronary arteries; had cath. and arteriogram. Nada. However, there was no mention of cardiomegaly.
    After my Nov. stint, I switched to the internist who treated me; our hosp. here only uses interns...no GP maintains a "hospital practice".
    Scary! CactusLil' Oh, yes, I had the LESI treatments and the synergist in one knee; other knee is scheduled for now!
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

You know, you explained your concerns about pain meds so well, especially your fear that even if you use them just as prescribed, or even less, then drs may take you off them and then you would be in agony again.

I would print out exactly what you wrote and give a copy of it to each of your drs. Honesty will get us much farther than anything with regard to pain meds.

I would love to see you write again, saying your drs liked what you had written, and that they assured you they will work with you regarding controlling your pain.

Best to you,
    findmind
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

The doctors believe that our pain is better controlled when we take our meds regularly.I used to take the pain meds only when it was bad,but the pain is much better controlled now thst I'm following instructions.

Its so hard to know what is right,isn't it?LInda
  6. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

As long as it is clear you are not abusing, i.e., taking more than the prescribed dose or taking them more frequently than you are supposed to, most doctors don't have a problem with giving out the pain medicines they prescribed.

It is just when it is clear you are getting them refilled too frequently, like when you get a RX for a months' worth of pain meds and you ask 1-2 weeks later for a refill, or you "lost" you pills or they were stolen (of course things can happen, but seems to happen all the time), things like that tend to raise red flags for doctors and that is what they are looking for.

I wouldn't worry at all about taking the pain meds as prescribed. I think it is a great idea to convey to the doctor your concerns and let him know that you are afraid to take your pills sometimes when you are in pain.

Hugs,

Deena
  7. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Thanks everyone for supporting me on this.

I think I will write this down and share it with my dr.'s when I see them.(No printer,I live in the stone age)

I do feel better since on my pain meds.Pain is still there constantly but I don't feel ill like I was before.

I am going to talk to my dr. about perscribing mds. for migranes.Any good suggestions?

Now if I could just get this raynaud's to stop stinging.I am going to be the only looney woman around here with gloves on this summer.I dread the air conditioners.I hate to be hot but with this new health issue I am not lookin gforward to increased finger and toe pain.I did find a site with some great feet and hand warmers I plan on getting hopefully soon.

Well thanks to you all for the great support , as always.

I am going to the firestation to cook dinner for my husband and the guys.They have been outside all day doing a practice burn at an old house.It is a bit chilly here in North Carolina and rainy.I think the guys will enjoy not having to cook today.I love to cook.Good thing hugh?

Here is a big hydrocodine hug for all my friends.Now didn't that feel good.The itching will stop sooner or later but atleast the pain is better.LOL!

Sheila