When in a flare, does anyones arms and legs burn?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I'm having a tough few days. I think I am flaring up with the FM. I can tell when my arms feel generally weak and it feels like my arms, legs and hips start burning and feeling tight.

Also between my shoulder blades have been aching so bad. When I came home from work today, I layed on the couch for nearly 2 1/2 hours, didn't make anything to eat, didn't want to move, just lay there. It took all my energy just to make a healthy salad.

I am wondering about something. I really have been trying to clean up my diet, but really blew it since last Thursday. My mom had brought doughnuts home (she NEVER does that, hmmmm), and I just couldn't resist. I also had some pizza which I cut out of my diet about 2 months ago. I just can't believe that eating these foods have probably flared me up. I have been eating like crap for the last 5 days, and although when I eat healthy, I am still in pain, but it is much more tolerable. All I wanted was a good doughnut, LOL.

My FM body is so sensitive to sugars, starches, and I know that, so it really is my fault. Since I did it already, it's back to eating bland foods for a while and see if this flare gets any better.
    Geeezzzzzz, just wanted some comfort food, but with me, I pay for it. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

i get it more in shoulders and neck
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Funny, my back isnt a big place for pain for me, but what I do get is burning between my shoulder blades/upper back.

yes I get burning in my arms, not as much in my legs even though my legs are my most painful area.

Good for you for getting back on your good eating pattern. I can't resist a good donut. I'm terrible. donuts are one of my favorite foods.
  4. Doober

Doober New Member

But, with me it is a daily thing. Halfway through my days when I feel my head, I feel sort of as if I have a fever. This is also the same time that my back, shoulders, arms and legs feel as if I had gotten a sunburn a few days earlier.

You know the sunburn feeling where it is not totally painful but you can feel the sensation of hot, burning ang the painful feelings of a "recovering" sunburn.

The burning feelings last for several hours every day. I have mentioned something to my rheumy, but nothing was said about it or just shrugged off as part of his "This is a part of your Fibro" responses I get alot.

I have tried "Icy/hot" rub, but had bad experience with it. Funny story actually. My wife, trying to help one night decided to give me a FULL body massgae with the icy/hot, which I thought was like a mild menthol body lotion.

Well after she finished and the effects of the icy hot kicked in ALL OVER, I thought I was gonna die. I spent over 45 minutes in the shower trying to wash it off.

It started off hot with the sensation of burning and then it turned cold. I spent the summer night in sweat pants, sweat shirt and under covers trying to make the effects go away.

MAn, never use that stuff again...lol
  5. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Lyme can cause that burning sensation.

Per Dr. Teitelbaum, all CFS/FM patients must continuously treat for candida.

If feeds on sugars. Grapefruit seed extract and an RX for nystatin really help me with it.
    Diflucan Rx helped a little.

Candida is a fungal (yeast) infection. An overgrowth punches holes in the intestines and makes Leaky Gut Syndrome whereas undigested food particles overwhelm the liver and react as an allergic response to the body. HFCS is small molecule fructose and glucose, it hits our body real fast. bye bye sodas. Sucrose sugar (table sugar) is a larger molecule and digests a little slower. Artificial sweeteners still trigger insulin. Stevia esp Truvia is a natural sweetener.

Honey roasted cashews have a little sugar and the high tryptophan helps my depression and sleep. Its a great comfort food. It high in oils, so moderation pls, don't make a meal out of it.
  6. loto

loto Member

i didn't used to get burning pain. But, I'm starting to every once in a while. Mine is usually in my upper arms and shoulders.
    Right now I'm going through something that's causing my left thumb to swell, hurt like hell, tingle, and there's a whitish looking streak in the corner of my thumbnail. I don't recall ever having anything like this before. I've had no trauma to my thumb, and there's no visible sore or anything. My school nurse thinks it's because I'm having a carpal tunnel flare or something. I don't know. I've also had some tingling going on. Last nite it woke me up several times hurting so bad. It was actually so swollen and hard that I thought if I stuck a pin in it maybe it would've helped!!! Like make it explode!
    If it gets worse I'll go to doctor.
    Do any of you know what it could be??

7. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

You could have a localized infection. Proteolytic enzymes like lumbrokinase or nattokinase dissolve excess fibrin. Fibrin is a blood protien used for clotting. If we get more infections than our body can handle, fibrin blocks off that area until we recover enuf to handle it. Heat destroys most infections, so a warm (not hot) soak in a cup of water may help. Don't cook your thumb.

Enzymes can also break down scar tissue, reduce inflammation.

Another consideration is an allergic reaction: I'm allergic to eggs, corn and dairy. Eggs is wierd in that, I get inflammed hand and wrists. Crackling knuckles. I've tested it several times. I try hard to avoid eggs, but huevos rancheros is sooo tempting.

Candida albican a fungal yeast overgrowth in the gut, can punch holes in the villa of the intestines allowing undigested food particles to get straight into the blood stream. Yeasts thrive on sugar, so avoid as much as possible.
  8. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

When I flare up, I always have about 24 hours where I feel as though I'm running a fever -- my whole body is burning with a dry (no sweating) heat. As this subsides, the burning localizes to my feet and hands -- they feel as though they are on fire. I've had this symptom for about 10 years. At times it has been so bad that I've got up in the night and run my hands and feet under the cold water tap.
  9. darrenc89

darrenc89 New Member

Hi there

I assume you are asking this question, because you are concerned that your symptoms may be abnormal?

I am going to sound like a broken record -- but FM is what you are diagnosed with after a long, long road of empty (insignificant) test results. You can not manage fibromyalgia successfully until you have ruled out a whole host of other conditions/factors. However, as long as your physician has been thorough, and you have had bloods, CT, MRI (possibly), physical exam, comprehensive history of condition etc than....

A burning sensation in FM is normal. Recent studies suggest that most FM suffers experience the entire gambit of "pain sensations" throughout the course of their illness. Pain sensations, generally, are; dull ache, sharp/stabbing pain, burning pain (deep or surface) etc etc...

Because we think that FM is connect to CNS function in some capacity, altered pain perception and sensory issues is regarded as part-and-parcel of the condition; hence your Rheumatologists reply.

Obviously, prevention is the way to go, and you have mentioned a correlation between your diet and a "flare". When you experience these "episodes" (where your symptoms are worse than normal), however, you don't want to know about "what you should have done/ not done etc", you want relief.

FM is such a diverse, complicated condition, that many people find relief from different (sometimes completely opposite) avenues. Part of having FM is trying ANYTHING and recording how you responded to it.

Some strategies to try (you may have tried some of them);

+ Get a massage (or perform self massage - its not as hard as you may think)
    + Use a tennis ball (or golf ball if you can handle it), lay on it so that you apply pressure to various trigger points (tough areas of sensitive muscle)
    + Stretch (slowly, and without "discomfort" -- a proper stretch generates a positive sensation)
    + Do some exercise (walking, riding, aqua exercise/swimming)
    + Lie in a neutral position. By the sounds of your symptoms, you may be experiencing irritation of your scapula/thoracic region. Have you ever seen a good physiotherapist? Lying on your back, on a firm surface with your legs up on a chair places your spine and pelvic region in a "neutral" or "unloaded" position and provides relief for some people.
    + Talk to someone about your pain, write the details in a diary
    + Distraction therapy (works for some people, not me...) --> its just watching tv, listening to soothing music etc.

Medications which have shown some positive effect in FM include (but are not limited to);
    Cymbalta, Amitriptiline (endep), Gabapentin (for neural-type pain)...

You should discuss medication options with a trusted Doctor.

Also, "enjoying" food is a vital aspect of healthy living. If you have decided to cut a lot of the foods you have enjoyed in the past, its time to find new, healthy options which will keep you satisfied.

Finally, you are a prime candidate for a postural assessment. Many people with FM avoid postural counseling or assisting devices because they resent the suggestions that all their troubles would be gone if they just "sat up straight" etc. No-one (with half a brain) is saying this. Posture isn't simply standing up straight, its about how your core muscles function and interact. Exercises to increase core strength can help to manage the symptoms associated with FM.

Good luck

Certificate III in Fitness
    Certificate IV in Fitness
    Registered Personal Trainer and Fitness Professional (Australia)
    Bachelor of Nursing
    Medical student (current)
    Long time FM and CFS sufferer

10. darrenc89

darrenc89 New Member

Lori, there is a specific cranial nerve which supplies the thumb; it is called the radial nerve. The symptoms you have described (to do with you thumb) are NOT particularly consistent with FM, you may have an injury to your radial nerve and you should contact your doctor.

I am not saying that you have sustained anything horrible; its just that when you have "strange" symptoms like these, you need to be assessed by a medical doctor.

Good luck -- I would like to hear how you get on...

Certificate III in Fitness
    Certificate IV in Fitness
    Registered Personal Trainer and Fitness Professional (Australia)
    Bachelor of Nursing
    Medical student (current)
    Long time FM and CFS sufferer

11. loto

loto Member

I do have a herniated disc in my neck.
    I haven't been to my chiro in quite a while, and my neck has been stiff, etc lately.
    I'm thinking this has something to do with it also, as today both arms are aching, and my hands get cramped up easily, as do my fingers! So, it's been an irrititating day at work to say the least, since I type for most of the day.
    Thanks for your advice, it's greatly appreciated.
    PS. today under my nail the color is pinker than normal. I know I should get this checked out, but do you know what that would mean?
  12. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Is the thumb nail pinker than the other nails? Otherwise pink is normal. Is it the outside of either thumb? Excess impact on the Space Bar?

A common test for circulation disorders is to apply pressure to a nail, turns white, and release. It should instantly turn pink again. A slow return is probably excess blood fibrin and nearby infection. Circulatory disorders usually show up on the toes first.

Cramping can be low electrolytes (vital metal salts) esp magnesium. I love Peter Gillham's Calm. It soothes my migraines and cramps. We tend to pee out our electrolytes due to overstressed adrenal glands. "anti-diuretic hormone". I would try some form of magnesium.

Try a hot bath, shower or heating pad for the neck. Viruses can get in the vertebrae or muscles and get us real stiff.
  13. loto

loto Member

pinker than the other nails.
    I'll see what happens and go to doctor if it gets worse.
    Seems like there's always something!

14. darrenc89

darrenc89 New Member

Which disc is bulging (do you know)?

Chiropractic adjustments are not usually useful in treating disc bulging injuries (although this is a debatable point depending on which side of the line you stand...). If the bulge is in what we call the "acute phase" than a chiropractice manipulations should definitely NOT be attempted (this is NOT up for debate...)

I would have thought a physician might suggest a cortisone injection...