When in Terrible Pain, What are the first things you do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marw, Feb 10, 2006.

1. marw

marw New Member

I got up with a major flare. When I hurt this bad everywhere, all muscles, hands, feet, etc., I don't seem able to make myself even do the stuff that would help me.
    I think it is because it doesn't help enough....not sure.
    Example, if I get in the tub, I would have to wash it after. Using the hot wax tub also involves having to sit there, as opposed to just lying down. I have a zillion excuses for not doing the stuff I know to do. I don't understand myself like this. I then feel guilty for being such a big baby. (At this point the heating pads don't help.) Yet I did get up and walk my dog...that is stand there, and say to him "hurry, hurry" ), so I know I can get up.

Maybe the answer is baby steps? Walking one little place at a time? Not sure. ANyway, the pain is so horrendous that I don't want to move!! Also, very bad timing, because I have to see the the Reumatologist today, and if I am this bad, I will cry, then he just thinks I am hysterical. Or depressed. But I am not....I just hurt soooo much! I know others do, too. And that you probably get up and do something about it.

If anyone has answers on the getting started part, I would appreciate it. (Right now I have taken another Vicodin. Usually I just take 1, but am allowed to take 2 if necessary. It is rarely necessary, as I normally don't have flares this bad.)

Thanks,

Margaret

P.S. Does anyone have a routine for a Major Flare? What is yours?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2006]
  2. marw

marw New Member

Maybe I am not using enough heating pads. Only have 1 large one. Will buy more.

I cannot take the drugs you mentioned--have tried them all with bad side effects---but...I certainly can take the Vicodin more often in a flare. ANd I think I will. I have noticed that pain is worse once it sets in, and stays better if it stays down, doesn't get a chancd to get started again. This second Vicodin has helped some.

Thanks so much for your reply. I was just desparate.

Apprecite it VERY MUCH!!
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I can't take pain medications so the first thing I do is deep breathing for several minutes to get oxygen to the tissues. Then I use hot rice packs and if it's joint pain I take some white willow bark (a natural salicylate that doesn't make me sick like aspirin or NSAIDS).

I also use a couple of different homeopathics depending on the symptoms. Most pain I can handle...I just need to take the edge off so it's not screaming at me non-stop!

Jan
  4. marw

marw New Member

THanks, guys! I ended up in bed with heat pad and elec. blanket until time for the apptmt. with the Rheumatologist, and I drug myself over there to him. He has tried many drugs, all of which I never can take because of horrendous side-effects. This time he gave me a card to take to the pharmacist for free samples of something called Lyrica? Have you heard of this? I am going to start a separate thread about it, after I run a Search, if no one has written yet about it. It is very new, still in trials, I think. It was just coincidence that I was in this flare when I had my 3-month apptmt with him.

Now I have got the Migraine, too, so I took a shot (Imitrex) and will get in the tub with ice on my head if the shot doesn't take it down, but it usually does. I noticed that it has warmed up outside (unless it is just me...sometimes I can't tell), so anyway I have turned the radiator off in the L.R.

I am sooo diappointed that this flare happened. I was going great for 2 days with really good work-outs at the gym. It seems like I will never get any real strength because every time I get going good with strengthening, stretching, and cardio (my program is set by my PT so it not too much for me, usually) I have a Flare. I just can't seem to make myself go to the gym during a Flare. I don't think I could do it. But maybe if I had more will power, I should try.

I took notes on the suggestions you made, and will try thse things.

Thanks again.
    Margaret
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Have you ever tied the flares to something you ate. I used to know I would have a terrible flare if I ate ice cream or chocolate. There are other foods also that bother me, anyway just a thought.

Secondly, at the beginning of a flare try taking two Alka Seltzer right away. I think it helps alot - it won't hurt you to try anyway.

Yes deep breathing is good to relax you and help. Are you under alot of stress, or worry?

6. marw

marw New Member

Hi there,

THanks for the new ideas! I never thought about it being tied to food. I have a Migraine diet and am very careful about the food that I can't have for the Migraine, so I would never eat Chocolate, but it could be something else. I'm going to start watching to see.

I would love to take Alka Seltzer (used to do that years ago for headaches before the days of Imitrex) but now I am not allowed any Asprin products at all. My stomach just cannot take it. And unfortunately, alka seltzer does have Asprin. I am so tempted. I think I will run this past my doc again.

About stress, no, I'm not, other than the stress that the FM itself has caused when I got it. I had to stop working, took an early retirement, so I ended up having to file Bankruptcy. But that was a few years ago. I am always short of money, but scraping by on the pension.

Thanks much!
    Margaret
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I've had a lot of friends with FM who got relief from Alka Seltzer Gold (no aspirin). Here are the ingredients from their website:

Contains:
    • Heat treated sodium bicarbonate 1050 mg
    • Citric acid 1000 mg
    • Alka-Seltzer® Gold contains principally the antacids sodium citrate and potassium citrate.
    • Potassium Bicarbonate 344 mg

It might be worth a try - pain can increase when the body is too acidic.

Jan
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

1. Take a hot, hot, steamy shower. (Can't soak in a hot tub because if I got in there, I would never be able to get out!) Do you "have to" clean your tub when you get out of it just after soaking in it one time? I don't clean mine every time. Of course, I don't have a "hot wax tub"; in fact, I don't even know what type that one is!!

2. Sit with heating pad(s) for a couple hours.

3. Take my meds.

4. Did you know that you can rotate 600 mg of Ibuprofen with your pain med (unless it's aspirin or a NSAID -- but you can do it with tylenol, vicodin, lortab, tramadol, etc.) Take you pain med, then 2 hrs later, take the ibuprofen. That will help by rotating with a different type pain med.

Your question about Lyrica -- isn't that the new improved Neurotin? I take Neurotin and it does help my pain.
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

My environmental doctor sells it at her office, and it is one of the tips she has on her allergy information sheets to bring one out of a bad allergic reaction. Good old baking soda in a pinch is also a recommendation on the sheets. baking soda taken on a regular basic may help over the long term, since it alkalizes the body, as above poster just mentioned, and sick people are always very acidic.

I meant to use b. soda regularly, but I coudn't keep gagging it down. I'm going to try a buffered enzyme next, or a form of powdered ascorbic acid that is buffered w/ quad or tri salts (the main electrolytes for alkalizing).

Jeanne
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

getting oxygen deep into tissues is really important, when sick and esp. when in pain. We tend to shallow breath when in pain, which makes pain worse since most pain comes from an inflammatory source, and when we shallow breath less oxygen gets to the inflammation sites and a cycle of pain and inflammation perpetuates.

I lay down and deep breath, from the abdomen w/ my belly rhythmically rising and falling. It causes a soothing distraction for one, and is esp. effective for abdominal pain and bloat and for addressing indigestion and gas pain. sometimes the deep breathing is enough to greatly lessen pain and keep me from going up the pain rictor scale where I'll absolutely need the painkillers. Taking a probiotic helps greatly for abdominal and back pain, along w/ deep breathing and laying on my left side.

Jeanne
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I had a allergist tell me twenty years ago to take Alka Seltzer immediately if I start to have a food reaction.

Also, I think there could be another reason it helps... maybe offsetting acidity..
  12. marw

marw New Member

OH, thank you, thank you! I will get the Alka Seltzer Gold! It sounds just great. You know, I am beginning to think this web site is "gold" for sure, because I get so much help here. I especially appreciated your listing he ingredients, so I could see for myself, as it were. THat was very thoughtful.

Margaret
  13. marw

marw New Member

jlh, you are right about the bath tub. I would not have to clean it until later. Sometimes I think when I get in pain I get so discouraged that I give up. I need to do better on this if I want to get out of pain, so I need to hear these things. About the Ibuprofen, yes, I did know that. I do that normally, so I should have said why I can't now....it is because I am having this eipdural injection on Monday for the herniated disks, and I cannot have any anti-inflamatory drugs (Vicodin is not one) for a week before that.

THe Lyrica has me really worried if it is in any way related to Neurontin. I may refuse to do it. I think I will talk to the Pharmacist, they always know a lot about this. On the other hand, if I don't try things, I will not ever know if they might have worked. So it is always a hard decision with new drugs.

Jeanne-in-Canada, thank you for reminding me about the deep breathing and the importance of oxygen. This is true. I actually do practice deep breathing every day...not as much as I did while I was quitting smoking (been quit almost 2 years now)...but I totally forget about it when I am in a lot of pain. I think I must be really freezing up, and my mind must be freezing up, too. I read somewhere that we should put big notes to ourselves on the walls about really important stuff, so that we will remember to do it. This sounds like one of those things. I am O.K. right now. THe Flare seems to have passed, but unfortunately, as we sadly know, there will always be another one. So maybe I will be better prepared next time.

Thanks again, everyone. This is a wonderful site. I am learning so much!

Margaret
  14. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

when i'm in really bed pain i take my meds and then go to bed. i have a waterbed which i keep the heat turned way up so it is like one body sized heating pad and that seems to help. they sell matress pads for regular beds that are heated, you could try one of those it avoids the need for multiple heating pads.
    rachel
  15. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I am always in pain so I just live my life normally like I always do. I take my Vicodin and take ALOT of short breaks in my recliner/couch/I must put my legs up.I never can sit long because then I get stiff.Sometimes when my back is on the verge of 'going out',I will use a heating pad.
    I'd LOVE to be able to own a hot tub.No way can I ever lay in my bathtub.I would never get out of it,too small,too hard to get up.