When is the best time of day to take supplements?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Saoirse3, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I just got some new supplements to add to my daily regime and I was wondering what the best time to take them was. I take magnesium at bedtime because it makes me sleepy and I take my grapeseed, whole food energizer, brown seaweed, liver enzymes and hyaluronic acid in the morning. Vit D, I take morning and night. But I also have my HBP med, and insulin in the morning. I just got some digestive enzymes and some ribose. I don't want "system overload" so I was wondering if I should stagger these for around lunchtime, maybe. Or should I take them at the same time every day and set a timer to remind me? Argh, this combo tweaking drives me NUTZ some days!

Soft hugs,
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have heard of people taking BP medicine at night because it can tend to make them tired, so the side effects aren't as bad. Also, our BP is generally highest in the morning, so unless your doctor says otherwise, I would take the BP med at night.

I would take d-ribose in the morning to mid-afternoon, in divided doses. Dr. Sarah Myhill says it has a short half-life, so it's better to take 1/2 tsp. or 1 tsp. a couple of times throughout the day. Adding to coffee increases its effect. I take d-ribose with my morning coffee, mid-morning and after lunch. If that's too complicated, I would just say take it twice - breakfast and lunch if possible.

Digestive enzymes should be taken with your meals. These work differently than systemic enzymes, which generally should be taken between meals on an empty stomach.

It sounds good overall what you are doing - it might be good if you could break up your magnesium so you take it a couple of times a day, as opposed to one large dose at night. It can help with energy but it is relaxing too.

I don't know anything about insulin, go with your doctor on that one.

Just pay attention to your body when you start something new to see how you do. I take a lot of supps and do okay on them, and can tell right away if something new doesn't agree with me.