When looking for a counseler, is there a certain title

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Sep 27, 2002.

  1. Carlacat

    Carlacat New Member

    you should ask for or do ya just call and explain your situation and let them set ya up. I really need to find one but wasnt sure.
  2. Carlacat

    Carlacat New Member

    you should ask for or do ya just call and explain your situation and let them set ya up. I really need to find one but wasnt sure.
  3. pepper

    pepper New Member

    If at all possible you should look for a Health Psychologist. They are trained to know about most chronic illnesses and can give you coping strategies, etc.

    If you get with the wrong psychiatrist or psychologist, you may be faced with someone who does not believe you are ill or, as my lawyer friend was told, "You are feeling inadequate in a male-dominated world. You need to go back to work and stick to it." She tried - for 1/2 a day and collapsed. It took her 2 years to get over the feelings that counsellor left her with. Then she was up to finally going to doctors and getting a diagnosis of severe CFS and FM.

    Getting the right person is very important! Pepper
  4. teach6

    teach6 New Member

    You will probably have to find someone in your health care network. I've taken the list of people near me to my own doc and asked for references. I've also asked other therapists I know for recommendations. Finally, you may need to make appointments with a couple and interview them. You can do some of it on the phone, but usually one visit gives you a good idea if you feel comfortable working with a person.

    I'm extremely lucky in that my long-time therapist also has CFIDS and FM. In fact she is the person who initially dx'd me! In this case she ended up referring me to her doc. Now our doc refers people to her, but she has had to cut her ours way back.

    I tried staying in network, but the only rheumy within 20 miles told me he didn't believe in CFIDS and IF I had FM there wan't much he could do for me. I didn't go back there, or do anything he recommended.

    Good luck in your search. By the way I have worked with LCSW's in the past and currently and have been very happy with them. One of my kids went to a psychologist for a while and I was not impressed with the way he handled the situation.

  5. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    If you can get no referrals from someone familiar with a doc, use your initial visit to "interview" the therapist. They use the first visit to "interview" you. There has to be mutual agreement over what the goal of the treatment is going to be.

    A skilled therapist with a Masters Degree can be more helpful than a psychiatrist, who is an M.D. I've had therapists from all levels and am happy with my current therapist who has a Masters Degree. She is very intuitive and helpful.

    Love, Mikie
  6. LuvMeCritters

    LuvMeCritters New Member

    My therapist also has her Masters, and I wouldn't trade her for the world. I was advised when first searching, that going to a psychiatrist, would be someone who basically would watch/control your drugs. I don't know if that's true or not since I've never been to one. But, before I made my first visit with my counselor, I called her and asked her if she believed that FM/CFS was a real illness, and she said "definitely". She has a best friend with this DD. So, I went and saw her and was so thankful I found her. You can always call and ask if they believe, before you go. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

  7. Hippo

    Hippo New Member

    I don't think it's the degree so much as it is the experience. I see someone who is an LCSW and she understands my condition because she has several clients with the same condition. So she is a good therapist for me. I totally agree with the suggestion of asking the therapist on the phone if they believe in this condition. I see a psychiatrist for meds only. Hope this helps.

  8. Carlacat

    Carlacat New Member

    I really appreciate all the info. I will check on my ins but I've met my 5000.00 limit so they pay 100% now. But the bills I have to pay are setting there looking at me and all I can do is "look back" at em.
  9. Lana56

    Lana56 New Member

    You can call a mental health clinic and just tell them you want to make an app.with a therapist.Be sure to tell them if you want a male or female as you may find that important to you.They may ask you some questions and then give you an app.I have been in therapy for a long time and have a wonderful therapist.The day I met her I knew she was the one for me.I wish you luck and be proud of yourself that you are reaching out for help. Lana
  10. Grams

    Grams New Member

    Carla, choosing a therapist depends on your needs. If you are wanting/needing medication, find a psychiatrist. Many psychiatrists prescibe medications and then just do med checks. A psychiatrist is not the best choice for talk therapy.

    If you are wanting/needing talk theapy, find a psychologist, licensed mental health counselor, or social worker. They cannot prescribe meds.

    Some people use both a psychiatrist and a mental health counselor, the first for meds, the second for talk therapy. Meds and talk therapy are complimentary and can be very beneficial for anyone dealing with a chronic illness.

    Gentle hugs and blessings...
  11. Annette2

    Annette2 New Member

    I moved to my present city 7 years ago. I went to the Stress Center of the hospital near my house and told them I wanted to see a therapist who was near my house and who was a woman. I lucked out! The first person I saw was wonderful. She is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. She certainly "believes" in FMS and has helped me greatly. As far as a psychiatrist goes, most of them now only do med checks. Unfortunately for me, all of the psychiatrists I've ever seen have been 1) men, and 2) horrible! They were all opinionated, chauvinistic and had egos the size of a watermelon! I will NEVER go to a male psychiatrist again! I had to see one in July, and would only go to a woman. Anyway, as I said, most of them don't do therapy, they just deal with your meds. Right now I get my meds from my Family Doctor. Getting back to a therapist, you can go to your local hospital and ask for a list of a few names. Or call the local Mental Health Dept. Good luck!