When`s the best time to take effexor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sandyz, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m trying effexor and was wandering what`s the best time to take it morning or evening? Does it make you sleepy during the day?

Thanks
    Sandyz
  2. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m trying effexor and was wandering what`s the best time to take it morning or evening? Does it make you sleepy during the day?

Thanks
    Sandyz
  3. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Hi Sandyz,

I take Effexor in the morning. Actually it keeps me awake so I can't take it in the evening. I must say when I first started taking it 3 years ago it did make me sleepy. Also I had aweful side affects, like I could not eat more than a craker a two a day for at least three weeks. It was funny because I started it a week before thanksgiving and the smell of food made me sick. Bad thing when there is food cooking all day..

Also I didn't want to be around people, and I am a VERY social person. It really changed my personality for a few weeks until I adjusted to the medication.

I'm only telling you this not to scare you, but if any of these thing happen to you maybe you won't think you're crazy like I did..... I must say it has helped me tolerate some of the pain and I am handling the fatigue better.

Make sure you DO NOT stop taking it unless you are weaned off of it. Also make sure to take it about the same time every day, it is time-released and works best if you stay on a schedule.

Good luck and give it a chance to work it takes awhile it's not a magic wand (is anything?) keep a daily log for your doctor..

Big hugs
    Laura
  4. thinktoomuch

thinktoomuch New Member

I have posted some of my experiences with Effexcor on the depression board. You might want to take a peek over on that board, before trying this med. I was told by my doc it was a mild med, with no withdrawl symptons, when coming off. I was sick the whole time on it and am having horrible withdrawls. I only went as high as 75 mg. There are others out there, that have had a wonderful affect from this med. Good luck.

Thinking I miss being just depressed, instead of depressed, because I am always sick now.
  5. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

My doctor told me more than once that you should NEVER just stop taking Effexor because you do have withdrawls, Once I missed a day and I felt the withdrawls start in just one day. Now if I forget I can feel it within a few hours if I missed my dose.

I started very slow. I am now up to 150mg and it seems to be okay for me, but we are all different. I hope it works for you, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't.

Take care
    Hugs
    Laura
  6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Thanks for your replies. It sure helps getting some input from others who have tried the same thing.

I`m taking it slow,75mg to start. I`m hoping it will help a little with the fm and depression. Both seem to be getting
    worse on me all the time. If i could just get this DD under
    control, I wouldn`t be depressed.

Thanks again, you guys are great!