WHEN SEEING DOC FOR FIRST TIME

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by neldwn2me, Oct 6, 2005.

1. neldwn2me

neldwn2me New Member

ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO TELL THEM ALL THAT'S GOING ON FROM START TO FINISH. OR JUST WHATS BOTHERING YOU OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS. MY ILLNESS STARTED WHEN I WAS 12. DO YOU GO BACK THAT FAR?
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Before you go, prepare an outline of your history to refer to and then tell the Dr. that you have had concerns regarding symptoms since you were 12 and would like to briefly (I underline briefly!) explain using your "list" or outline. Allow the doc to see your list / outline - go through it with the doc, stick to facts and symptoms, what you have been diagnosed with, what helped, any tests, etc. etc. Voice your concerns. The whole "reading" the outline thing should take less than 5 minutes. Allow the doc to ask questions and then respond. I think doing this will allow each of you to do your job and help you to feel that your concerns were addressed.

Remember that your first visit is usually a "consultation" type of visit, and the doctor will also have you fill out a history form. However, the doc will most likely do an examination as well.

Remember, the doctor is on trial here, not you. You can choose to go to another doctor if you feel that this doctor isn't responsive to your needs.

First time visits usually take 45 min or so, and that's what most docs sched for first time visits.

Good luck, and please let us all know how it goes!
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Jaltair gave you excellent advice.

When you outline your current problems, make sure you begin with what is bothering you the MOST as your first complaint.

Do the same for other questions that you have for him/her--the most important question first--just in case you don't have time to ask all of the questions that you want to.

Doctors love to see patients who come prepared with typed out notes/questions. It gives YOU more time to talk with him/her since he/she doesn't have to take so much time asking you a bunch of questions.

Since this is your first visit, make sure you include what other medical problems that you have are currently being doctored for. Also have a list of your medications prepared, including the strength of the med and how much you take a day and the reason why you are taking it--include all over-the-counter meds as well as supplements/herbs.

Do you know how long your doc allows for new patient appointments? Some docs only allow 20 min.

Good luck! Hope you like your new doc!!

Janet

4. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I make notes b4 every dr apptment with symptoms, thngs that are worse or better and even drugs I would like to give a try. Some of my doc's just pick it up and read it and we then discuss. If I dont do this I will leave and remember some important thing I wanted to tell him.