When to start Disability??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat0465, Jun 27, 2008.

1. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

after working for over 7 years with this DD,I am about at the end of my rope!! i honestly don't want to go on Disability,but feel my time is coming where i wont be able to go on any more. the last 6 months or so i have been way sicker than in a long time , so i have been pushing thru all the pain & misery of working.
    I plan on talking to the doc in August about it,but to be honest i dont know how to even bring it up. i'ts Embarrassing to me, as i have worked since i was about 13.
    2 children trying to stay in school, a Mortgage, it's just overwhelming to think about! and i know it takes a long time to get the help we need. also can u even keep working while you are trying to get disability,like maybe just part time?? any info would be helpful. thanks, Kat
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

You can make up to $900. a month but believe me as hard as it is to get disability you would be better off not working when you file.

They will do anything to say you can work and not want to approve you.
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

yea, i kinda figured if i was dragging myself to work, they would say well u can still drag yourself, so no just keep on doing that. i know it takes months or even years to get approved, i just dont know how we could make it if i didnt work.But i am making myself so much sicker working, that sooner or later somethings gonna give.i guess a good place to start would be talking to my DR. she thinks my job is way too strenuous( it is)also guess i could consult with a attorney.it all just sux!
  4. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I have been wondering the same thing myself, to the point that I'm looking into our short term and long term plans at work. I had a really, really bad flare this past week and I think I'm getting worse. I was hoping to arrange one work from home day a week, but realistically? I would like all 5. If they could do that for me, they could probably get another year or so out of me. I have virtually no paid time off in reserve because I use it when I earn it. I try to work every holiday (I do computer/software support and the computer never sleeps or takes vacation) so that I can bank comp time. That is what saved me this past week, I had some comp time left.

I've been putting on a brave face, telling my wonderful boss that "I can do this, it won't affect my job". But he is a compassionate man and he's been researching FMS. He's not only concerned about the business aspect of my situation, but the personal aspect. I still can't believe God blessed me so with this job. I lost one, and nearly lost a second over this DD.

Right now, I'm taking it one day at a time. Next week is a company shutdown, but I'll work since, as I said, technology never sleeps. I can earn 1/2 comp on Friday, since we'll be working that morning for our European customers. I'll take every minute I can earn! So far I have been managing to pull my weight. But I have days where all I do is watch movies online. Just getting my body there is a major accomplishment.

I have days where I'm ready to throw in the towel and say "start the process" but I'm not emotionally ready to do that yet. As I said in another post, I've only had this career for 8 years and I do love it so. It is frustrating, I've conquered booze, pills (only to NEED them now), emotional abuse, you name it. My inner strength got me through that. But my inner strength is no match for this!