When to stop meds before lab tests?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Seagull, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Seagull

Seagull New Member

I need to get the labwork done in about 12 days. I am currently taking Diazepam, Dipyridamole, Lasix, and Lipitor, and ZMA.

I have spoken with 2 pharmacists to find out when to stop my meds in order to get the most accurate test results possible. One said these meds stay in the system for 15 days, so to just tell the lab tech about taking them and he/she will take it into consideration when running the test results. The other one said I should be able to get good test results if I just stopped the meds a week in advance.

I really need to take all my meds for as long as possible, because the first 3 listed help to control my Menieres attacks, which become frequent and violent without them. But, I also need the tests to be as accurate as possible. Can someone here please advise the minimum number of days needed to stop these meds in order to get correct test results? Thanks so much. :)
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some meds are dangerous to go off of and you must slowly wean off of them. I have never been told to discontinue any of my meds before lab tests except for the morning of the day of a fasting test.

Love, Mikie
  3. Seagull

Seagull New Member

What I really need to know is whether taking them up to the day before the tests will cause any problems in getting accurate test results. I guess I am worried whether some additionl health problem could be "covered up" by the meds. Is this something I should worry about? Thanks for all feedback. :)