When to suspect Lyme and how do you approach Dr. about it?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by kriket, Jan 7, 2007.

  1. kriket

    kriket New Member

    I have been doing some research about this disease, and think that I at least need to be tested for Lyme to see if it is not a underlying disease that I am dealing with. I have already been dx with Fibro., but I feel like something else is wrong. I am so dog tired and hurt sooo bad all the time.

    I was bitten by a tick when I was younger. It was found in my hair attached to my scalp. When it was pulled out, the head of the tick stayed attached and had to be dug out. Don't know how long it was there either before it had been found.

    When I was a little girl, a lady was fixing my hair for me, as I was getting ready to go to church, and she is the one that happened to see it stuck in my head.

    So, what do you guys think? Should I go ahead and get tested? If so, what type of doctor do I need to see and how do I apprach them about this test. Any advice, would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!

  2. mollystwin

    mollystwin New Member

    Yes I think you should definatly get tested. Especially since you know that you've been bitten by a tick. Make sure to get an ingenix test it's the most reliable. And tell the doctor about the tick bite.

    Lyme can mimic other illnesses such as fibro and chronic fatigue.

    Good Luck!!
  3. kriket

    kriket New Member

    Ok, thanks. Is igenix the name of the test? Is it something the doctor has to request?

  4. mollystwin

    mollystwin New Member

    Yes Igenix is the name of the test. It's the most reliable one. Most western blots have a high rate of false negatives. My SIL and sis have lyme. My SIL had four western blots that were negative before she had a positive test done by Igenix (not sure of the spelling). The trick is to find a dr who will do this for you.

    You can order a test online and they will send it to you. Then you have to find someone to draw it for you. Many primary care doctors will do this but they don't know how to treat if you have a positive test. The best thing to do would be to find a lyme dr in your area and go for an igenix test, but finding one can be difficult.

    We are lucky in that we have a few lyme dr in our area. I'm getting an igenix test done by the dr my sis and SIL go to.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2007]
  5. kriket

    kriket New Member

    Where do I need to look online in order to find a test to order? I have no clue.

  6. connieaag

    connieaag New Member

    Go to the IGeneX website. They have a toll-free number. She was very nice and said I would need to send a credit card number or check with the blood draw and the order from the doctor. They pay for the Fed Ex shipping and it takes 7-10 business days to get results. She said I would have the kit in a couple days.

    BTW I think she said it was $450 for the 6050 panel which is the one they suggest.
  7. jarjar

    jarjar New Member

    Says all he needs is the basic Igenex Western Blot IGG IGM.
    He thinks the pcr testing is just a way for them to make more money. My pcr test came back negative but my Western blot came back positive.

    The basic Western Blot is around 200.00

    Just trying to save you some money if money is an issue.

  8. kriket

    kriket New Member

    I hope my test is truly negative, but I would just feel better to know or not if I have Lyme.

    Do I just take this test to any doctor? Like my Rhuemy?

    Please let me know and thanks for all of you who have answered my questions as I know nothing much about all of this!!!

  9. mollystwin

    mollystwin New Member

    You can take this to any doctor who is willing to draw the blood for it. I think insurance should pay for part of the test. Also I think Igenix sent my niece the test for free. You don't pay until you send it in with the blood.
  10. kriket

    kriket New Member

    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of my ques. I went ahead and ordered my test this morn. and they do send you the test for free and you do pay when the specimen is sent in. I unfortunately don't have insurance, so I am really nervous about the outcome of this test. I don't know how in the world I'm gonna afford whatever treatment I may have to have. I'll just do what I have to do I guess.

    Ok, well I will let you guys know as soon as I get tested and as soon as I get the results back.

    Thanks to all-

  11. mollystwin

    mollystwin New Member

    I'll be thinking of you. I get my test in about 12 days.
    let's both check back with our results.
  12. redsox10

    redsox10 New Member


    With your history I would see a lyme literate doctor (llmd).

    Igenex is the lab that performs the test. If you call them they will send you a kit and mailer to fedex it back. When you go to the lab to get it done go on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Bring the kit. Make sure they follow the instructions and everything is filled out on the slip. They blood has to be spun down by the lab. After it is prepared I pick up the sample and fedex it myself to make sure it is done properly.

    The tests you need are #188 and #189. They are the IgG and IgM Western Blot. Payment has to be made when you send the labs. I think it is $190.00 or $200.00. Igenex will send you something to submit to your insurance. They have never covered ours.

    Make sure you get a copy of your results. Your doctor may say it is negative when the test is positive. Read about western blots and Lyme. One Lyme specific band that is positive is very significant.

    I don't know what area of the country you live in but with your history of a tic attachment I would see a llmd.

    Hope this helps.
  13. kriket

    kriket New Member

    Thanks for the info. I ordered the Igenex test. They told me that it was the best one. The cost to have it done is 450.00 I do not have insurance, so that part don't matter.

    Is a Western Blot and and Igenex Test the same thing or is it all included in the igenex test? I thought that the igenex test covered everyhing?

    Also, how do I get a copy of the results?

  14. mollystwin

    mollystwin New Member

    Yes Ignenix is called western blot too. It's a more sensitive one.
  15. redsox10

    redsox10 New Member

    I would only have the IgG and IgM Western Blot done. Start with that. It is #188 and 189 on the form. It is around $200.00.

    Your doctor has to order this test using the iGENEX form. They will send him the results. You can get a copy from your doctor. Results take about 3 weks.

    Are you working? Did you look into medicaid?
  16. kriket

    kriket New Member

    I work part time as a massage therapist, but struggle a lot b/c of fatigue and muscle weakness and pain. I probably make too much to get medicaid.

  17. kriket

    kriket New Member

    I ordered the test and it should be on its way to me, but what you are saying is that I must take the test to my doctor to have the specimen drawn and it has to be sent in or ordered by a doctor right?

  18. redsox10

    redsox10 New Member

    Yes, You need a doctor to order the test. Make sure the form is filled out correctly. All boxes filled in including time of collection. You need #188 and 189.

    Any lab can draw your blood. Just make sure it can be spun down right away.

    Good luck!!
  19. kriket

    kriket New Member

    OK- THANKS!!!