when to take the neurotin and how much?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darlee, Nov 24, 2002.

1. darlee

darlee New Member

My dr. said to start taking the neurotin 100 mg at nite and see if it carries me thru the next day and if not go to 200 at nite and then 300 if need to or one the next day(he rxed me 30 100mg with 5 refills. Anyway, last nite was my 6th dose and same every a.m. - my back is killing me now more than my legs and I am oversleeping by 2 hrs( I even took it last nite at 5:30 pm! I didn't feel tired even until 10:30pm. Should I stay at the 100 at nite then when would I take a day dose, just thought I'd see what you all do.

darlee
  2. darlee

darlee New Member

My dr. said to start taking the neurotin 100 mg at nite and see if it carries me thru the next day and if not go to 200 at nite and then 300 if need to or one the next day(he rxed me 30 100mg with 5 refills. Anyway, last nite was my 6th dose and same every a.m. - my back is killing me now more than my legs and I am oversleeping by 2 hrs( I even took it last nite at 5:30 pm! I didn't feel tired even until 10:30pm. Should I stay at the 100 at nite then when would I take a day dose, just thought I'd see what you all do.

darlee
  3. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

My doc started me at 100 mg at night as well--for three days. Then 200 mg for three days--then 300 mg a night. At 100 mg, I didn't feel anything. At 200 mg a night, I think I slept a bit better. At 300 mg, however, I didn't sleep any better, but when I got up at night to go to the bathroom (which I do several times a night), I felt kind of doped up and off balance. I called my doc and asked about cutting back to 200 mg a night, but instead, he suggested "splitting" the dose--taking 200 mg at bedtime and 100 mg in the morning to help with pain. I was really surprised, but that seemed to help. I'm still taking Neurontin this way, and with the pain I'm feeling lately, I think I'm going to call my doc and ask if it's okay to take another 100 mg later in the day on an as-needed basis for pain. (He says Neurontin can help by reducing pain sensitivity.)

--Laura R.M.

4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have been taking 800mg of Neurontin, all at night, for months. Now I am increasing it gradually to 1200, if I can tolerate it. My doc doesn't want me to take any during the day due to my overwhelming fatigue from CFS.

Barbara
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think because it is a beno, a lot of docs don't like to prescribe it. My rheumy told me it's addictive; I explained to him that it can produce physical dependence but that it is not phychologically addictive. Same is true of Neurontin. One must wean off both these meds gradually.

Typically, one takes the same dose of Klonopin, 1 mg. before bed, and stays at that dose from then on. I haven't built up a tolerance and I have been on it about a year. It gives me 8 hours of quality sleep without a morning hangover.

I take it as needed during the day for anxiety/panic attacks and sensory overload. It is also good for RLS.

Love, Mikie
  6. kuntryhart

kuntryhart New Member

Hi! I just started taking Neurontin about a week ago. I started out taking 100mg at night, (by 7:00 pm). It does seem to help me rest. The muscles in my legs don't hurt and draw so much. I'm having a lot of trouble with my legs lately. I was supposed to take it 2 times a day, so I tried it the other day, and I was so tired I had to take a nap and "sleep it off". I work part time as a secretary, so I have to be alert. I just can't be "dopey". (no pun intended!) I'm also on celebrex. The muscles in the back of my right leg in both the thigh and especially in my calf hurt almost all the time. I have a lot of trouble getting around because of it, and even bought myself a walking cane last week. I'm ready for some relief, but don't see it happening any time soon.

kuntryhart
  7. jeridoreen

jeridoreen New Member

I HAVE BEEN NTAKING NEURONTIN FOR SEVERAL WEEKS...IT IS FOR THE NEUROPATHY IN MY FEET..IT HAS HELPED SOME..I TAKE 100 MG THREE TIMES A DAY....i ALSO TAKE ULTRACET...i HAVE SEVERE PAIN AND A INFECTED TOE....

[ advertisement ]