When you apply for a job and they ask if you are disabled

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by puggymom, Apr 20, 2006.

1. puggymom

puggymom New Member

I have been looking for a less stressful job. I am willing to take a paycut just to be in a less stressful situation.

Anyhow, I have applied, online, for a couple of positions that have asked if I consider myself to be disabled. (in the section where they ask race, if you area veteran, etc.) I have been answering no.

Currently my rheumy has me on 40 hour max per week. But if I was in a better job, I know I could do a little more than that.

How would you answer that question?
  2. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

Does'nt seem to me it would be legal to ask if your disabled. Maybe someone else will come along that knows for sure.
  3. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Questions about your race usually are not required to be answered. Not sure if disbility falls into that category.

I know for sure you must admit to having been injured on a job before because of workers' comp issues, but I don't know if you have to admit to being disabled. As long as you are able to do the job, what difference does it make?

There are many, many different types of disability. They can't just lable you disabled and leave it at that.

Linda
  4. puggymom

puggymom New Member

I think companies get a tax break when they hire a disabled person. Years ago, HR sent me someone who was deaf to interview. They really wanted to hire the person, and I thought it had to do with quotas or tax incentives. SOmething like that. The questions are optional, like what race, veteran etc. It's for statistical and reporting purposes I think.
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

If you are applying for a job, an employer cannot ask you if you are disabled.

An employer can ask if you can perform the duties of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.

An employer can also ask you to describe or to demonstrate how, with or without reasonable accommodation, you will perform the duties of the job.

Thanks,

Karen
  6. skyeone

skyeone New Member

I don't know how I would answer that!!! My doc has me off work due to disability, but at the same time, if you say you're not disabled on your application, and then need to take time off work becuase of it, you cna get fired. It's a terrible situation because if you put on that you are disabled you won't get hired, if you lie, you get fired for lying.

My sugestion would be to leave the question blank, and then when interviewed, explain the situation if asked. If not asked, don't say. An ommission is not a lie and you can't get fired for it!!!

Good luck in your job hunt!!!
    HUGS,
    Skye
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Employers, if you are in the United States, are not permitted to ask about disabilities, health problems, etc.

They can only ask if you can do the job, and if there are specific requirements such as being able to lift 50 pounds.

Only after the job is offered, can they request a physical examination and then they have to reveal the findings and why they think it should keep you from doing the job.

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS AND THEY ARE VIOLATING THE LAW.