When you can't bear to be touched....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Jan 7, 2003.

1. achy

achy New Member

One minute I had hit bottom...the next I was lifted up to cloud nine. This DD is just overwhelming on our emotions.

When I got up this AM hubby gave me a hug. Not a bear hug, just wrapped his arms around my shoulders....but, For the first time in 23 years I pulled away. I couldn't bear the pain in my shoulders and back.The emotion I felt was so overwhelming I broke down and started sobbing uncontrollably.
    God bless this wonderful man...as I pulled away he very gently pulled me back and ever so gently hugged me again, but around my waist, gently kissing my neck, rubbming my butt (he knows how bad it hurts) and telling me he how much he loved me. It amazed me how wonderful, yet how horrible a person could feel at one time.
    If it were not for my dear sweet hubby I would not be able to continue the fight against this horrid disease...I am emotionally and physically exhausted. I had a ct scan yesterday afternoon, and anohter Dr appt this am....both requiring a one hour drive each way...I have had to give up working...struggling to make ends meet (which they don't), and doing my best to keep some kind of normalcy in our life.
    How much longer can I hang on...can I keep going...before this DD gets the best of me? I don;t know...I hope hubby never lets go, or I just may find out.

thanks...I needed that
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  2. TxMissy

TxMissy New Member

I have been having the same problem over the past 6 months. It is now to the point that even my mom will ask me before hugging me if it is a "huggy day or not"

There is one time when I really grin and bear it! (I am a HUGE animal person). That is with one of our cats, his name is "little bear", who is now weighing in at 17 lbs! Anyway, he is mildly retarded (for real, no joke) and he likes to put his arms around my neck and suck on my shirt collar! Sometimes when he does this he will "mush" on my shoulders and neck... man does it hurt sometimes! But he doesn't understand that... so I bear with it as long as I can! I can't tell him that it hurts and not hold him, he doesn't understand that! And he doesn't like to be held any other way!

It's sad that this DD makes you feel so bad and when you really could use the comfort from someone else, such as with a hug, you can't because it will make you hurt even more! I have cried over the same stuff!!! Just last night I was in the kitchen and my hubbie came in and asked what I was crying over, and I told him that I came in here and was doing something and stopped for a minute and NOW I can't remember what I was doing! I was so upset and he couldn't even hug me hardly either!

Hugless and in a fog...TxMissy
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I do know what you mean.....I generally have less overwhelming pain with my FM, but some very, very sensitive areas...my 13-year-old daughter is always patting me on the head, and it pains me to have to tell her, "please don't do that!" I realize that as a teenager, I'm lucky she wants to show me affection (!) so I feel terrible, but my head is extra-sensitive many days. Sounds like you are very fortunate to have a most understanding hubby, it probably bothers you more than it does him that hugs are too painful right now.

And I thought I was the only one with a "retarded" cat! My little calico Gracie, we believe, has a cat version of Downs Syndrome. She's 4 1/2 years old, and still has the face of a kitten. But she's extra sweet & cuddly, she's only 8 lbs. but that can be awfully heavy when your body's sore! Still, I'm glad for the cat, and daughter, and husband affection, don't think I'd be here without it!

Good luck, Achy, I hope this is just a long, bad flare that starts to ease a bit soon...

Cyber hugs (the painless kind),
    Pam
    \