When You Dream: are you sick or normal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shar6710, Nov 30, 2006.

1. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I read in one of Laura Hildenbrand's articles that she is sick in her dreams.

That started for me earlier this year so I'm wondering, assuming that you can sleep well enough to dream, are you sick or still healthy?

I had a dream a few weeks ago where we were looking for a new house and we were evaluating it based on if it had too many stairs etc. I've also had dreams where I'm out having fun but I'm using my scooter.

Care to share your dreams?

Shar
  2. Suzan

Suzan New Member

But when I do dream ..I am normal! I think this is so interesting..maybe it has something to do with how much we identify ourselves by our illness?
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Both.

Sometimes I am running so effortlessly or flying with no fatigue or pain.

Other times I hurt so much in my dream that I can hardly walk. I feel like I am trudging up a hill and can barely lift my feet. Usually my late husband is somewhere ahead of me and I can't see him. Feels like I'm walking through mud or snow up to my knees.

A lot of times when I dream of pain I wake up in pain and have to get up and move around in order to get some relief so I can go back to sleep.

That waking sleeping pattern I have sometimes makes the dreams seem very real and they fit into my waking life. Then I have to be careful that I don't say something about having done something when it didn't really happen.

The other night I dreamed that some one was moving in across the street from my boss. He said it was kholmes! That was a little weird! You aren't moving to Washington are you kholmes?

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Shar, that's a good question. I cannot recall being sick in any of my dreams.

Lolalee
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

in my dreams I am usually normal, and best of all,,,,, I am THIN!!! I love those dreams!

Raz
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

I AM NOT SICK FOR THE MOST PART I CAN DO THINGS I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO DO FOR YEARS. THEN WHEN I WAKE UP DEPRESSION SETS IN I WAS ALWAYS ON THE GO I HATE THIS ILLNESS CHARLENE
  7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Thanks for your replies.

Suzan that's a good point. I thought maybe there was a correlation to length of illness but most of you have been ill much longer than I.

Fight and Huckfinn, I used to fly in my dreams but mine were a little scary because eventually I would want to land but the wind would lift me skyward again.

Greenbean, our dreams sound a lot alike. I too dream about something hurting and when I wake it really does. I also incorporate things from real life into my dreams and I have to ask if they relly happened or not.

Loalee, I hope all your dreams are happy ones.

Even though I have CFS in my dreams they aren't depressing. In the new house dream I remember being excited that there was a garden small enough for me to
    tend:)

Shar
  8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

My daughter is studying dietetics. Our american diets are low in tryptophan. Its found in Turkey, cashews, bananas. 5-HTP is a natural product as well. Tryptophan get converted to serotonin in the brain and to melatonin by the pineal gland.

I dream better with more tryptophan.

William Philpot M.D. says that the brain needs to "unlearn" things during dreaming and resolve issues. Kinda like you went to see a movie but didn't get to see the ending. Dr. Philpot recommends magnetic therapy for dream disorders.

Severe sleep disturbances is one symptoms of CFS, so anything that helps is great.

There are 4 depths to sleep. Alpha, Beta, Gamma & Delta. ABCD in greek. Normal sleep cycles every 90 minutes but not necessarily to Delta each time. Sedatives, stimulants and alcohol all disturb the sleep cycle.
    Ref: National Sleep Foundation[This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  9. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Being thin in my dreams might be better than being well!LOL

Charlenef, I hadn't thought of it that way, that could be a bummer. I don't see myself being disabled in my dreams as necassarily a bad thing since I feel it shows I'm coping with the realities of my illness.

Allwxrider, I saw you posted this info elswhere too. I usually eat a small handfull of walnuts at bedtime because I take meds that require you take them with food. Maybe I'll try cashews instead. Thanks for the tip.

Shar
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Christopher Reeve said that in his dreams, he was always healthy.

I am never disabled in my dreams. I walk, run, climb mountains, soar and sail. In my waking life, I use a scooter to get around, but in my dreams, the sky is the limit.

11. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have had dreams where I am both sick and normal...they tend to alternate.
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Not too long ago I noticed that when I've the most sick, I'm also very sick in my dreams. It's not "seeing" myself sick in my dreams, I feel the horrible gonna-die-any-minute feeling exactly as I do when I'm awake. It's a physical feeling, too, not a mental feeling as I would expect our dreams to be.

Wouldn't you think our dreams could help us escape?

Not fun but very interesting. I wonder if this is true of people with other illnesses?

Marta
  13. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Good question. When I first became full blown sick with FM and CFIDS/M.E., I ALWAYS dreamnt (not that I slept much) with me being sick. I would be lagging behind everyone else. I was lethargic or falling behind or looking UP at a staircase but finding it so difficult to actually GET up the staircase...It felt so real maybe because that was the reality at the time. lol

That went on for a good three years. Than I finally stopped being sick in my dreams. In fact, it was quite the contrary - I guess because I so want to be "that" person again...getting there very slowly.

I'm sure Freud would have a field day with people like us and interpreting our dreams! :)

Sweet dreams!
    LB32 (Leeza)
  14. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I have a lot of dreams where not only am I healthy, but I'm acrobatic, or supernaturally athletic, I'm often a warrior, or a hero of some kind protecting people who are weak.

I used to call these "Buffy" dreams because they remind me of the way the character Buffy acts in the buffy the vampire slayer tv show.

I think if I were well I would spend all my time helping sick people and try and make alot of money, and be very athletic so I could protect people if I had to.

15. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

When I am having leg pain I have dreams where I can't walk up the stairs. I have this recurring dream where my legs are in so much pain I have to drag myself up the stairs by my elbows. When I wake up surprise, the pain is still there!!

Another dream I have is that I am combing my hair and as I comb it, it keeps growing and I have this long luscious hair! Then I wake up and my hair is still short and yucky and I get really bummed out!
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

been sick in my dreams. But I sometimes dream of going back to college. It is no fun because I am always an old man.

I seldom dream at all because of the disturbed sleep due to CFS.
  17. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Wow a lot of replies after I went to bed! Thanks!

Interesting that Chris Reeves dreamed that he was healthy. Maybe he dreamed of being superhuman like Gothbubbles.

Marta 's brought up a good point about people with other illnesses. I imagine from these responses that some dream they are well and others not.

Leeza, I think you're right. Maybe some of us should have our dreams analyzed.

Mollystwin and Rockgor sorry your dreams aren't fun. Dragging yourself up the stairs sounds like a nightmare!

Hope I didn't leave anyone out but I have to take a sick dog to the vet(good news is I'm actually well enough to do it). Pray I don't end up having a thousand dollar vet bill!

Rockgor I thought you were already an old man:)

Shar

[This Message was Edited on 12/02/2006]
  18. kat-E

kat-E New Member

of those I do remember... I am normal and usually quite active, but they are fret-filled dreams... overloaded with adrenaline (something I would prefer to avoid day and night)
  19. elliespad

elliespad Member

Of those I remember, I am healthy, and they are usually about a romance.
  20. Empower

Empower New Member

When dreaming, I am normal