When you go out....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Jun 9, 2010.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Was wondering.....when/if any of you do leave the house, do you take the time to look good?

Today I ended up with an old T-shirt and shorts, hair in a ponytail (not brushed all the way) and sneakers with holes (didnt know until I got home). Before this DD, I used to wear makeup and do my hair.

2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Shari i use to have the long hair and ponytail too.
    I now have a short hair style which i do find much easier to take care of.
    Wished i would have done the short hair style long ago.

Just a thought , hair in a ponytail not brushed all the way, may want to consider a simple style.

Best wishes

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I don't care how bad I feel, I do not go out looking a mess. Even if friends are coming over for a visit I'll get fixed up. I'm not one for wearing makeup, however, my hair is washed and combed, nice clothes, jewellery, etc.
  4. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

Naturally, I never leave the house without makeup and my hair brushed out....with a name like Ilovepink4....yep...i have to do it!

BUT! I have mastered the art of getting fixed up in about 15 minutes...and that includes brushing my teeth and washing my face....

I use bare escentuals powder makeup and that goes on super quick....and you can even sleep in it if you are too lazy to take it off....it is supposed to be good for your skin....it is made of minerals...

i wear very little eye makeup compared to my past life....and I grew out my hair so I don't have to style it anymore....no more bed head...long hair is much easier , to me , because I can wash it at night and just brush it in the morning....

i had short hair for about 25 years and I kept it really short...but I had to have it cut every 3-4 weeks and I HAD to shower in the morning because it was flat in some spots and sticking up in other spots and it wouldn't cooperate unless I shampooed it and blow dried it....and used product in it....

now, I take a bath at night so that there is less to do, if I need to leave the house the next day....brush my hair, put on some makeup, maybe a pony tail or barrette....jewelry, outfit (comfy one of course!) and crawl out to the car....

I just feel so much worse about my life if I feel like I look gross....I still shave my legs regularly...my worst thing is I live in pajamas unless I am going outside or leaving the house....and I don't wear make up unless people are going to be around or I am feeling good or I am going out of the house....
  5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

No. I dont get fixed up. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Im doing good to get a shower. Thats if i can get up off the couch. I pull my hair up in a scrunchie and loop it around into a bun. Not one ounce of my self esteem hinges on what other ppl think i look like. They dont wear my body so have no clue how hard it is just to get dressed. Lucky lucky them.
  6. loto

loto Member

I won't go anywhere if I don't have makeup on or haven't showered yet!

It's really bad, but I always make my husband run wherever needs to be gone to if I haven't had my daily shower and put makeup on and fixed my hair. I'm especially this way on weekends when I have to start my housecleaning after I'm awake and meds in my system, or it won't get done!! I stay in my pj's, haven't even brushed my hair or washed my face. Hey, cleaning or any other physical activity anymore makes me so sweaty I can't stand it!!! So, when I'm all done I get cleaned up.

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I personally believe than when you shlump around the house all day in pjs, it brings you down and makes you feel worse. I wash and dress everyday; the only time I don't is if I have something like the flu and I'm sick in bed with a fever.

I don't do this for other people - I do it for myself. If you look good, it helps to make you feel better. If you look like crap its bound to make you feel like crap. At least IMO :)
  8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Well! If you feel better just by fixing up your appearances, are you SURE you have fibro/ME/CFS?

Sounds to me like you've just got some sort of issues secondary to a lack of make-up.

JOKE, folks. Pokin' fun.
  9. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I dont feel bad for not fixing myself up. Its the INABILITY to do so that makes me feel bad. If you have the ability to do those things then thats wonderful. Youre in the class of ppl that i envy.
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I could be way off on my thinking, but I sometimes wonder how much we can "push" ourselves to do each day depends on whether or not we also suffer with secondary depression as well as having CFS and/or FM. Possibly if I was also suffering with depression I would be less inclined to get out of my PJs each day, and to make an effort when I go out.
  11. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

What is this "going out" of which you speak?!?!

12. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

.....I almost spewed pepsi out my nose when I went there! I looked at a couple of pages but then I was afraid I'd see myself in one of those pictures!
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

For me "going out" is anytime I am leaving my property. Doesn't matter if it is going to the store, dentist/doctor, visiting at someone's house, a yard sale down the road, or eating out.
  14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Someone told me about that website last year. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry some of those people were so sad looking.
  15. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I learned the hard way to not make any assumptions based on what someone looks like. I dont know what issues they might be dealing with that arent visible. I USED to be that person who took pride in my appearance. Crippling pain took that away from me. And thats just a start. No amount of pushing is going to change the pain or make my hands or arms work. Maybe some deal with depression that incapacitates them but not all. Pain is a thief.
  16. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

You know what.....you're absolutely right. I've been a victim of the "Oh, when are you due?" comment - when I wasn't pregnant!

And though I did find myself either laughing at some of those pictures, or just shaking my head - I shouldn't be judging people.
  17. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Jan...im not taking jabs at you and i dont want you to feel bad. I just remember my life BEFORE. Not being able to raise my arms to brush my hair or pull a shirt off and on...not being able sometimes to even hook/unhook my bra...not being able to buckle the cute sandals id love to wear...even pulling shorts up is enough to bring me to my knees...and thats just for starters...has changed me in a profound way. And NONE of that is visible. I dont look sick. I look lazy. Now when i see someone whos not the "norm" instead of thinking wow wouldja look at that i think they just must be dealing with something. By the same token i dont assume that just bc someones all fixed up they have NO health issues. Cant judge a book by its cover.
  18. fallenstar1962

fallenstar1962 New Member

On the odd occasion I do go out..I do indeed put on macup and at the very least pull my hair into a pony as well. But I have to tell you those days are far and few between because getting "ready" takes so much out of me.

I think my neighbors are getting used to me in my PJ's as I live in them when at home. I force myself outside to work on my garden so I must be comfy.

As for company that does visit..they know a call is mandatory before they arrive. And last but not least they expect me in my PJ's..I have no energy to dress daily. I also am lucky to shower 2 - 3 times a week :(
  19. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Oh girlfriend......I sooooo did not think that you were taking jabs at me. While I was never much of a make-up wearer BF (before fibro) it takes a lot to get me to wear it now. I could no more raise my arms to put on make-up his morning than I could run a marathon.

I truly was agreeing with you. "How soon we forget." You are right.....most of us don't look sick, I just look like a slob most of the time.

Anyway.....don't worry your pretty little head......I did not think you were taking jabs at me.
  20. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Ok good. Didnt want you to think i was smacking you. And every time i read aussiewoman say she smells like a goat...makes me wonder if shes ever smelled one! I have...its not to be believed. It does crack me up tho. Love the gallows humor!