When you have FM how can you tell - - - -

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Granniluvsu, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

if you get some other aches and pains if it is sciatica, FM or what? I have have had sciatica before many times and really know how that is.

However, now I seem to be having almost the same thing but it is more in the front of thing instead of the back. I can just step down and it sometimes feels like it radiates a bit. Other times not. It seems to be in the area of the upper thigh, is sharp and sometimes radiating below the inguinal area and down in the upper thigh area.. It is hard to explain. I am guessing it may be nerve related but then it might be FM too. I have had FM for years (25+ yrs) and lately I seem to be getting more and more weird pains. Of course I am getting OLD too :)??

Thought some of you with FM might have had something similar or had some other ideas? Hate to go for an MRI or something and they dont find anything As it is, if you have FM you can't see anything at all on any scans, etc..

Warm hugs to awl,
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think Broadcasting made a good point. My pain is widespread, a deep aching like your bones are frozen along with the fatigue. I believe that is in the definition for FM. The emphasis is on widespread.

That being said, there are times when I have pain in specific areas such as when I am lying on my side and will wake up in the middle of the night but it is still the achy feeling just more apparent on the side. I also have one side of my shoulder bunch up which is probably not FM but myofascial but really have not had that investigated.

There were several times I thought my FM was flaring when it turned out it was something else. (low sodium, anemic and Obstructive Sleep Apnea).

It's so frustrating trying to figure all this out, but I don't think it would hurt to have your doctor check this out, possibly a referral to ???, don't know what kind of doctor handles this, orthopods??

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Granni - It could be your hip that is the problem. That is the type of pain that people complain of when they need a hip replacement. You might want to get your doctor to do an xray.
  4. Granniluvsu

Thanks Jam, Gap and Broadcasting for all your bits of wisdom !!!

Broadcasting - I think I know what you mean about having the same pain on the other side. i think I have but will have to wait some more to see what happens.

Jam - yep, some of this could just be old age too :)!! I have almost given up trying to figure out what is what. This one was annoying though. Wil wais and see and maybe try and heating pad like I do for sciatica. However, it comes and goes at will - very strange. Didnpt think there was a blood test to determine FM, unless you were taking bout blood test for eliminating other things.

If anyone else has any idea let me know !

More hugs,

5. IanH

IanH Active Member

I have had these confusions and self debate for years. Of course, basic FM is widespread and pain tends to be bi-lateral as stated. It started with cervical (neck) back pain, on the left then the right then the left etc. MRI scan showed nothing. Then the lower back, same scenario. MRI nothing. Then my wrists, tests showed mild carpal tunnel and slowed nerve conduction but since all my reflexes are slowed the surgeon said that he doubted I would get much relief from surgery.

All FM. I have found that any aching pain is prolonged beyond what my orthopedic and neurologist colleagues thinks is typical. I think they are all neuromuscular aches - real ones - but which are escalated and prolonged because I have FM (ME/CFS actually).

I tend to tense up very easily and out of awareness until I have strained myself and caused aching - this is then ascalated by the illness (immune system).

I have come to accept that most of my aches are FM but when a new one comes along I am off to my GP to test it. Never let FM be a blanket!
  6. matwood58

matwood58 New Member

But I went to the Dr with problems urinating. I had it for quite some time (months). He arranged for me to see a urinalogist but first I was to have an ultrasound. Well, big surprise, I have a small basketball sized tumor on the left side, which they are thinking is attatched to my only ovary. I had a Hystorectomy at age 27 (now52). We did the blood work for cancer markers and will get the results next week. Then if no cancer shows up I will have surgery here at home on Valentines day (I thought; "oh what a nice gift") But there is only a 5% chance of cancer, so I'm not worried. I too have FM along with a genetic disorder which criss crosses FM. Now I will go to the DR when I feel the slightest change in my body.
    Hope all goes well with you
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2011]
  7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I didn't see this post and just finished posting about the pain in the butt! I am looking for answers, too. It's so debilitating.
  8. Granniluvsu

I and H, Mat, Jam ,Gap and everydobby. I appreciate your thoughts and experiences. Will go with the flow for awhile and see how it goes. Right now I just wish the cold weather would stop . The, maybe it will help some. I have enough aches and pains as you all do. Talk about being stiff (awful)!!!

9. Chelz

Chelz New Member

With my FM, the pain and issues are widespread and bilateral. I have the same kind of pain you are describing, it is very hard to describe, but for me I have deep hip/buttock pain on the right side that also radiates to my upper thigh area and kind of wraps around the hip and buttock. I also have this pain on the left side, but it is much more milder than the right, but on both sides

The best way to describe my pain is that it feels like a "toothache" in my bones, muscles, even my skin sometimes. You know when you get a toothache the way it feels? That is how my body feels, but it is on both sides. I have side neck pain on both sides equally as bad also. Both of my shoulder blades hurt, not just one side, so what they had said was correct, you usually feel it "all over" but to different degress, that is FM, at least that is what I think.
    Hugs, Chelz.