Where are you getting LDN from?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LISALOO, Jan 8, 2010.

LISALOO New Member

WHo is prescribing it for you, my drs have never heard of it so therefore don't care. One dr prescribed it years ago, would like to try it again at a low dose, but now he's retired.

2. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

My primary care doc (internal medicine) agreed to let me try this just this week. When I went to see him I brought the following printouts with me (I'll put the links below). My doc was uncomfortable prescribing 25mg tabs so I could make my own solution but did write a script for 1.5mg capsules to be compounded by pharmacist. I will start low and titrate up slowly. Others in the ldn group over at yahoo might also be able to offer help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19453963 - link for abstract from Stanford trial

http://www.ldnnow.co.uk/8601.html?entryId=4a0498610b5600268f4f00cbc9109c46 -link on mechanism of action of LDN from Dr. Zagon at Penn State who's an expert on this.
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Prescribed it for me, although she ddn't tell me about it. when i read up on it i asked her if i could try it, and she said absolutely!

she has had some sucess with her Lupus & hiv patients also
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I asked my integrative doc about it and he agreed to prescribe it.....I get the script filled at a compounding pharmacy in Aurora, IL......they will mail it anywhere.

LISALOO New Member

Who did you see and which pharmacy fills it?

Also, does the LDN cause pain? Im confused. I do have pain.
  6. aftermath

aftermath New Member

I'm dealing with Irmat Pharmacy in NYC. I visited in person (they filled it while I waited), but they do mail order as well.

Nice people, and filled it while I waited. Moreover, I believe that they have their compounded product spot-tested for dosage on a regular basis.
  7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

ldn does not cause pain - it actually helps many people quite a bit with their pain.....however, you are not allowed to take opioid meds while on ldn, so if you are taking them, you have to stop and the time between stopping them and starting the ldn (and building to a good level of it) can be painful for people who are used to being on opioids
  8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I order from overseas, compound at home. 30 tabs lasts me more than a yr. (@ 4.0 mg/day)

Works great, is cheap.

I'm hardly around on the boards anymore because I have a life now.

LISALOO New Member

How hard is it to compound at home.

Also, can you e-mail me where you get it from? I know a lot of foreign places send placebos. Thanx

10. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

India has a pharmaceutical oversight agency similar to the FDA. I use All Day Chemist. Their LDN has been effective for me, and I've seen other testimonials on the LDN boards.The naltrexone I get from ADC is generic called Naltima. It is dated & blister-packed.

Compounding at home is fairly easy. The hard part is finding measuring equipment in ml. I found a 10 ml. "medication tube" in the baby dept. of a dept. store, marked to the 0.1 ml level, so you can use it to measure very small doses if desired.

Basically you finely crush up a 50 mg tab and dissolve it in 50 ml of pure water (I use boiled, cooled filtered water). Dissolve is not quite accurate -- you really make a suspension of fine particles. They do tend to settle out. So when you dispense your LDN, you have to shake it & quickly get your dose.

The math is 50 mg/50 ml = 1 mg/ml. If you want 1/4 mg, use 1/4 ml. Etc.

Be sure your containers & measuring equipment are very clean. If you are just starting out & will be using small doses, you might want to just crush up 1/2 tab (= 25 mg) in 25 ml. water.

Obviously home compounding isn't as precise as the pharmaceutical liquid suspensions. But it seems to do the job.

Jaminhealth has posted a detailed description of how she prepares LDN solution. The thread is titled *LDN Solution.*

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2010]
  11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Lisaloo - go to lowdosenaltrexone.org - scroll down about 2/3 of the way through the website and you'll find a list of compounding pharmacies. You can call these pharmacies to get the name(s) of doctors who use them for filling ldn prescriptions.

If none of these compounding pharmacies are in your area, then look up compounding pharmacies near where you live and try calling them.