Where buy clothes for 5" woman?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by findmind, Jun 19, 2007.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

Anyone out there under 5' tall?

Where in the world do you buy clothes that don't have a waistline hitting your hips, shorts that are long enough to be a pair of slacks, and sleeves that don't reach down to your knees?!!!!!

2. victoria

victoria New Member

My elderly MIL, who never did get over 4'11" to start with, and with osteoporosis shrunk to about 4'8", sewed; when her hands became too arthritic, I sewed some simple shifts and elastic waist slacks for her from her favorite patterns. She was able to find some shirts that I could modify for her.

At that point happily she didn't need/want anything more difficult than that as I didn't have the energy, altho I've been a sewer most of my life (at least until it wasn't worth it because of the cheaper clothing from overseas).

I did at the time do a search online to find out what people who are so short do - it appears, at least then (about 5 years ago) that there were some cottage industries that would sew to your specs, or you have to find someone local who can sew for you.

Not sure that it's changed any unfortunately. I remember 'petite' being defined as 5'2" and under; now it's 5'4" and under!!!! I'm just under 5'2" myself, so it still can be difficult even for me too at times.

Good luck!

All the best,

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2007]
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

You can get just about any size on ebay.Just type in petite or exactly what size you are and it will narrow down the search for you. I am short, and this is where I've had the most luck with finding clothes that fit.

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2007]
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hi. I'm about 5' 9" tall so I can't relate----my problem is the exact opposite.

I was wondering, would clothes in the teenage section of the store fit? Children's clothing would be shorter in the length. I suppose it also depends upon what size you are. This suggestion sounds to easy, there must be something about teenage children's clothes that don't fit.
  5. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

My daughter (33) is under 5 feet and she buys a lot of clothes in the children's dept. She wears a size 0 normally, but she'll get pants & jeans in a girls size 12 - I think. And the clothes are usually really cute without being child looking.
  6. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Clothing for small people is very difficult to find, especially if you are short and plus size! I am large on top, very large, but only........4ft 9inches tall!
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

My mother is only 5'1" but is probably shorter now due to her shrinking because of her osteoporosis (she is 77).

She has always purchased all of her clothes in the "Petite" size or department. Everything is shorter in length, rise, etc.

If you ever shop online, just Google some Petite Women's Clothing.

Good luck.

8. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm talking about WOMEN's clothes; the teens and younger women can look smart in the Petites; I find them too baby-dollish and certainly not professional.

I'm actually asking for my daughter, not myself. She desperately needs professional looking, inexpensive suits dresses, and pantsuits. that don't look terrible on her!

She's a size 24 on top and an 18 or 20 on the bottom! What a dilemma when she needs a new summer suit.

Casual clothes are not the problem; womanly, neat, uncluttered classics sure are!

Thank you all for your time and energy!

9. victoria

victoria New Member

I found a few things at various sites such as Catherine's and pluswoman's in petites... not many 'suits'... but they did have clothing that was suitable for office wear, altho again not a great selection.

The difficult part is the price - most are fairly pricey, altho I did see one jacket on sale for only $16.99 marked down from something like $60.

It's hard, no doubt about it, even if one only needs casual clothing... hope she's able to find a few sources eventually, or a good tailor.

all the best,
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Request catalogs from Lane Bryant and Roaman's - both sell larger size women's clothing, which some do come in a "Petite" length.

Both companies have websites and I think Lane Bryant just changed their name to Woman Within, but can still be accessed through LaneBryantCatalog.
  11. findmind

findmind New Member

Yes, I have gone online! But all of their Petites say 5'4' and under!

5'1, down to 4'10 is the really hard problem...the sleeves, the waistlines, the rise of the pants and the tapering of them is far too inappropriate.

Thanks so much for answering, sure appreciate the input.

Anyone else?

12. victoria

victoria New Member

since she is shorter than I... but I find that even tho clothing is 'name-branded', often proportions are not the same style to style.

But I have found it always worthwhile to try anything on that looks remotely like it might work. I've developed a fairly good eye over the years, and handy with simple alterations for myself.

What is amazing is that at times I find things in the 'regular' section even that DO fit me (even when I was young and 100#), also the petite. Just to illustrate the vast differences in styling/fitting that seems to exist.

There seems to be so much variance between the styling and perhaps where the clothing is made, that I've learned to rarely if ever write off a brand or store... And if something is a little off, well, that is where a good tailor can help. I know that's more $$, but sometimes it's necessary.

Also 'clearance' racks often have things that are mis-marked as to size, or cut wrong as to the standardized proportions but that might work for her... which of course is why it hasn't sold.

Unfortunately I know all of this takes a lot of time. About 25 years ago I was desperate enough to just charge anything that decently fit no matter the price, I was that desperate for a suit or 2 ...

So she has my sympathies!

all the best,

PS: My daughter also has difficulties, she is my exact height and very tiny except thru the bustline. She hates shopping as nothing will fit but t-shirts (& even those don't usually without being obscene). So she avoids clothes shopping like the plague.

Well, she just took an international business class that took her to 3 cities in Europe, so she had to have a business suit. She ordered one from JC Penny -- only one -- AND only 3 days before leaving... she lucked out, it fit her perfectly and looked professional. But that is the ONLY time I've ever seen her that lucky!

PPS: Sadly, the woes of trying to find clothes to fit for some of us equal the woes of going to hair salons...

13. findmind

findmind New Member

You seem to see the problem, right?

Sometimes she can solve them by buying separates, but the suits! The skirts hit her all wrong, because they are the same size as the tops...so they are too big.

Capris just hit her ankles, but look sort of silly because they are too casual.

I often don't like the way she looks in dressier clothing because the proportions aren't right, but I sure don't want to criticize her because usually the colors are lovely on her, and she's a wondrous groomer and makeup person.

Thanks so much for the input! So sweet of you to take the energy!

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Junior size clothing is too youth oriented for women but the department stares all have petite sections where they sell exactly the same clothing that is sold in misses sizes but they are petite.

Love, Mikie
  15. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm not putting this right: even the Petite sizes are too big!

Now that they all call Petite 5'4" and under it is impossible to find things for a five foot person who also has short legs.

I heard yesterday that Penny's is scanning the bodies of 10,000 women and is going to make more realistic sizes of clothing for all sizes and ages.

That is the best news I have ever heard.

Thanks for your time and energy, all, it is so sweet of you.

Think this thread is done, right?

Many huggies,