Where can I find a list of Narcotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Jul 1, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I was just looking for a list of narcotics. I like to be informed about different meds and I may have to change my vicodin because of raised liver enzymes.

I recently had neck surgery and I was given valium and that seems to work fairly well for me in place of the vicodin. I'm not sure if it will be a contender but at least I will have some information when I see my pain dr. Oh, also I cannot take percocet because I broke out in an allergic reaction. I haven't had problems with any other drugs but I must be careful.
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

This should give you a good list. Not all controlled meds are narcotics but all narcotics are controlled meds (In the US).

Perocet is similar to codeine and hydrocodone, so you could have similar reactions.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  3. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I tried the Google route and I didn't come up with much and I thought maybe someone on the boar may have a better idea.

Thanks anyways.
  4. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I am NOT a doctor or a pharmacist. I put this together based on my knowledge and a little help from Wikipedia.
    What exactly are you looking for? Their are TONS of narcotic brands but really only a few compounds:

1. propoxy-n - this is Darvon. Add acetaminophen and you get darvocet. This isn't as strong as codeine and if you've had a reaction to percocet, this might be viable. According to Wikipedia:

Dextropropoxyphene is an analgesic in the opioid category. It is used to treat mild to moderate pain and as an anti-tussive. It can be used to ease surgical pain both prophylactically and palliatively. It is possible to classify it as a mild opioid pain-killer, however it is considered no more effective than aspirin in treating pain. In my drug seeking days, I would take this if it was all I could get. Now I can't take it, it doesn't sit well with me.

2. Codeine - this is Tylenol 3 and a lot of cough medicines. This is stronger than darvocet and is structurally related to morphine but less potent.It usually is compounded in 15mg, 30mg, or 60 mg. strengths. They are known respectively as Tylenol 2, Tylenol 3 and Tylenol 4. If you had trouble with percocet, you MIGHT (and I say might) have trouble with this. It tends to be pretty well tolerated but can cause nausea (all narcotics can).

2.Hydrocodone - this is Vicodin. It is also Lorcet, Lortab, Norco, and a few other names I can't think of right now. Hydrocodone or dihydrocodeinone is a semi-synthetic opioid derived from two of the naturally occurring opiates, codeine and thebaine. This is stronger than codeine but the way they compound the pills, they don't use as much so the dose of hydrocodone will be less so that a 5mg Vicodin is similar in strength to a Tylenol 3. I say similar because we all metabolize drugs differently. Some people can take codeine but not hydrocodone and vice versa. But they are similar compounds.

3. Oxycodone - this is your percocet or percodan or Tylox. It is a semisynthetic morphine derivative used as a pain reliever. This is strong and is a schedule 2 narcotic. It requires a special prescription.

4. Oxycontin - OxyContin contains oxycodone, a very strong narcotic pain reliever similar to morphine. OxyContin is designed so that the oxycodone is slowly released over time, allowing it to be used twice daily.

Then you move into the hard core stuff - Nubain, Stadol, morphine, demerol, dilaudid, fentanyl, methadone and I'm sure I'm missing some. Nubain and Stadol are typically used in labor and deliver. Usually these are given intraveneously after surgery or to cancer patients. BUT, they can be in some kind of oral form and I know we have members on this board who take variations of the above.

In U.S. legal context, narcotic refers to opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic or fully synthetic substitutes "as well as cocaine and coca leaves," which although classified as "narcotics" in the U.S. Controlled Substances Act (CSA), are chemically not narcotics. Contrary to popular belief, marijuana is not a narcotic, nor are LSD and other psychedelic drugs. Steroids, specifically are not a narcotic.[4]

If you are allergic to one opium derivative, you might be allergic to others. However, since percocet is a strong, you might be able to take codeine or propoxy-n. From my understanding it is usually the acetaminophen the causes the problems and not so much the narcotic itself. Aspirin and NSAIDS can play havoc on the stomach.

As an interesting footnote. Heroin was created to alleviate addiction to morphine, (called laudanum in those days) which was rampant in the 1800's and early 1900's before the first drug laws were enacted. It was named "heroine" because it was seen as a hero that would relieve addicts from this monkey of their back.

In closing, I don't think anyone knows drugs like an ex-junkie! I try to avoid these when at all possible because I know my history and what can happen.

Your doctor should be able to answer any questions you have about the different narcotics. Does anyone have anything else to add or that I missed or got wrong?

I hope this helps!

5. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Try the Mayoclinic website. Very reliable.

6. dinda

dinda New Member

Monica try this site.

7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Good info. I take Percocet and Ultram on days when my pain is not so bad.
  8. Ginner

Ginner New Member

THK U