Where did your FM start? interesting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Line, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Line

Line New Member

I just read an article that fm almost always starts in the upper part of the body. That is where mine started in the left shoulder, blade, the upper chest and upper arm. Now I have it both sides plus the lower body.
    Where did yours start?

Also there was an article about costochondritis that when you have a flare it does not hurt hurt more with movement. I have been dxed with costo and when my ribs flare they hurt like crazy with movement, unless it is FM pain.

Just interested to see if this is true.

Linda

2. 1faith

1faith New Member

I think in my left hand. It started feeling fat and tingly then worked it's way up in my shoulder. I had some intermittant left knee and ankle pain years before, but the shoulder was what REALLY got my attenion. It's been 7 years and I've just now found out the connection. Duh.
  3. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I always say I've had it all my life. Which is true, but I think 3 yrs back it hit me so hard that I could only lie down and let it dissipate. It had no rhyme or reason.
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Wow this is very depressing. It has a name. You know what really p(fill in the blank)s me off is when I look up a condition, and it actually has a name ,and think back when I complained of this pain, and the waisted time spent on clueless Doctors.
  5. 1faith

1faith New Member

I was actually thinking the same thing myself this morning. I never put together the various problems I'd been having over the years until the last 2 weeks! I've been griping to my doc for YEARS. It was actually a fellow FMS sufferer who put it all together for me-not the doc. I'm to see him today for more test results and i guess I'll have to educate him. All this time wasted...
  6. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

I got smacked in the chest by a softball. May have cracked a rib - don't know...About 4 mos later fm symptoms started - with pain in my feet - then it spread to other parts of my body. I did have growing pains in legs as a kid.
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

That`s pretty interesting. Mine started up in my shoulders some twenty years ago. Then it moved to my leg for quite awhile. I used to have all my pain on one side of my body but now I have it on both.
  8. yodasmom

yodasmom New Member

I think my FM started in my left shoulder as I remeber "frozen shoulder" after a car accident and I also was a dental hygienist. That was over 20 years ago. My costo was diagnosed by an ER doc after spending months at a gatro for upper abdomin pain. I passed out inher office fromthe painand thy called the ambulance where the ER doc pinpointed the pain as costo. From there I saw a pain doc who gave me injections. what a relief. Now I try to get onit right away. I just got a flare up yesterday due to planting a fe mums.....what a pain. Now the bra is killing me again!!! Time for some heat packs.
  9. jesfms

jesfms New Member

my fms started in rib area first...then jaw...now it is all over...have had it about 30 years
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I started having pains in my legs when I was about 12. I remember I would wrap a blanket around my legs at night and it would feel a little better. Then my left leg hurt more, especially my left knee. From there it went into my left side, shoulders, neck, then almost all over. Today I have very few places that don't hurt, but my left shoulder and neck are my very worst places at the moment.

Ellen
  11. TerryS

TerryS Member

I'm like Ellen in that mine started in my ankles. I was 10 years old at the time...just recovered from rheumatic fever.

It has slowly spread over the years, first up to the knees, then my arms got in on the action, then my entire legs, hips. Just recently, within the last two months, now into my shoulders and unbelieveably into my FACE!!!

TerryS
  12. Butterflylove

Butterflylove New Member

Hi Linda,I am new here on this site.My fibromyalgia started three years ago exactly where yours did.In fact I was diagnosed in a major hospital's ER with cosotchondritis in the beginning.The pain has since traveled all over my body but I am still very sensitive in my ribs and the worst pain area in flares is my right shoulder blade.I need meds every day to function.Take care.Angela
  13. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Mine 'REALLY' began during and after the birth of my last(4th)child. I suffered blood clots, then nearly bled to death after the birth. I have never recovered, and actually have continued to get worse over the last two years. For years I tended to get achy and tired easily, but never thought much of it. I feel either the pregnancy, or post partum hemmorhage aggrivated everything. Laura PS Get this, I went to bed at 11:00 last night and slept until 11:00 this morning. I'm just as achy as I have been all week.
  14. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

My FM started in my bladder. Kept getting up in the night for the loo, feeling desperate, and then hardly anything there. Often had the sensation just before a period. Did the usual checks and nothing. I have it all over now, and I am taking Mirapex my second week, which treats parkinsons, and has made a big difference. If you are interested, please read my other posts. Fibrohugs Charlie
  15. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

I received a neck injury in a car accident when my neck plowed into the steering column. You know how sore you get after being in a car accident? That never went away for me. At my work I would get these pains that felt like rubber bands breaking in my forearms and then every joint I would use would become tendonitis and eventually it even occurred in my knees as I was a sewer. No anti-inflammatories would make the pain better. Heck, I even had such hand pain from just pressing buttons on the intercom when they made me a receptionist because there was no other job I could do! I eventually quit the year I was dx with fibro because I could not tolerate the pain. I forced myself to keep working til I had my 10 years in so I could get my retirement. The pain continued in my other job but it became even more widespread until I could no longer do my job because of the pain and my thought process wasn't working any more. I worked way too long because I needed the money and it wasn't worth it. But if I had tried for disability after the first job I doubt I would have received it because there wasn't enough documentation because the doctor thought it was all in my head and so little was known about fms at that time. (1987)
    I too had growing pains as did my kids. I would feel so sorry for them and rub their legs at night because I understood the pain they were in. I'll have to ask them when I see them at Christmas if they remember that. It seemed to occur after they were being more rambunctious. So far they all seem fine but they are all boys. Also when I was young I got cold easily and a damp breeze would go right thru to my bones just like it does now. Also my hands and feet would seem to get frost bit right away when it didn't seem to bother anyone else and even when we played hide and seek my hands would throb in pain.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]
  16. mindbender

mindbender New Member

You know these stories are all true.

Instead of the constant lies we deal with every day.

me,
  17. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

There was a pretty good scientific study done in Israel that showed that FM was 75% more likely to set in after an injury to the upper part of the body. They surveyed people who had been in car accidents where the upper part of the body was damaged versus the lower part of the body versus control (no injury). interesting. I'm not sure they know why, though.
  18. lcb212

lcb212 New Member

thanks for sharing that name,
    it answers alot for me
    mine started with cfs in 1988, after losing a great deal of blood and being transfused with blood and plasma.
    I fought it and wrote it off to being a tired overworked single mother (stress factor)it increased in 2001 after having my pinkie finger reatached (BIG OUCH) and in the past 3 yrs with costo, fibro
    and a brain that knows how to do so many things but is to tired to get it done!
    Fibro started I think at the base of my skull.
    upper trunk is fibro land.
    normal wear and tear aches in lower trunk
    chiro has helped with some things.[This Message was Edited on 10/17/2006]