Where do I go next?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swen, Oct 16, 2002.

1. swen

swen New Member

Have just returned from rheumy apptmt. She basically told me that there's nothing else she can do for me. I am taking neurontin, zopiclone and flexeril at the moment and I hurt all over. Have tried just about every antidepressant going and nothing seems to take away that gnawing pain. She will not give me narcotics. She seems to feel that her fibro patients do better with natural remedies. I have tried/am trying everything from breathing exercises to tai chi to meditation to bio feedback to aromatherapy. Nothing seems to help. I am very lucky in that I am still mobile but the pain is relentless. Does anyone know any good doctors for FMS in Vancouver Canada? I am desperate!
  2. swen

swen New Member

Have just returned from rheumy apptmt. She basically told me that there's nothing else she can do for me. I am taking neurontin, zopiclone and flexeril at the moment and I hurt all over. Have tried just about every antidepressant going and nothing seems to take away that gnawing pain. She will not give me narcotics. She seems to feel that her fibro patients do better with natural remedies. I have tried/am trying everything from breathing exercises to tai chi to meditation to bio feedback to aromatherapy. Nothing seems to help. I am very lucky in that I am still mobile but the pain is relentless. Does anyone know any good doctors for FMS in Vancouver Canada? I am desperate!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And, one who believes in prescribing narcotics. Opiods are one of the safest ways to control pain. The goal should be to get rid of the pain to the point you can find other options, but in the meantime, you need relief from pain. That rheumy doesn't have to suffer your pain. Rheumies are all like this. They are very narrow in their understanding of our illnesses and how to treat them. You are legally entitled to pain relief.

Also, get some physical therapy which will help you learn how to flex and stretch to keep your muscles strong and flexible. It will also help with pain.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. swen

swen New Member

I will look at your site. I have taken lots of info to my dr. who justs glances at it and puts it aside. I think she thinks because I do so much research that I am obsessed with FMS!! I have just started active release therapy. Have been three times but because he has to be so careful with me, have not seen any real benefit yet. He is sure that he can help me though. I sure hope so. As for the narcotics, my primary care, rheumy and sleep disorder doctor are all totally against them. Hence my request for any good FMS doctors in the Vancouver, B.C. area. Thanks again.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is a stock answer docs give when they themselves do no research and have limited knowledge. We almost all go through a research phase until we feel we know enough to start taking control of our own treatment.

I've leveled off on my research, but we have some real research warriors here and they share generously.

As I said, find another doc who understands your pain and is willing to treat you. BTW, one of our members has had excellent results with ART, so hang in there.

Love, Mikie
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I understand your desperation! Relentless Pain is awful. You might try asking your rheumy for some Ultram, they usually are much more willing to prescribe that then opiods. Maybe that will ease your symptoms a bit while you try to find a Doc who will prescribe a more heavy duty pain killer.
    Karen