Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lynnes, Nov 4, 2007.

1. lynnes

lynnes New Member

Where do I start in this chat room, literally? I am depressed. I'm not new to depression. I am taking Lexapro, Trazadone, and Seroquel. None is working. I am especially unhappy with Seroquel. I know I'm supposed to exercise, eat nutrious meals, drink water, avoid alcohol, etc. You know how hard it is to even get out of bed. I tell myself the therapy and the drugs aren't working because I don't have character. What is wrong with me?
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm no Dr. but have also struggled with depression over the years,,,,,currently i'm taking Cymbalta,,,and must say that it has helped more than anything eles i've ever taken!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But yes also all the other things you mentioned are a part of my daily routine!! and the only combination of stratagies that helps!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so please ask your Dr, about this Cymbalta and slowly incorperate the other things into your life,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just some suggestions!
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Have you gone to the depression board?

I'm no expert on it, so won't evey try to advise you, but know we are here for you, so just keep writing, ok?

Just reaching out and asking is a big step forward, I would think, so don't thing negatively of yourself.

Anyone who wants to be better is strong and resourceful. Hang around, you'll get lots of support here.

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I don't know anything about Lexapro, but Trazadone doesn't usually help with depression.

I have Fibro and my doc prescribed it to help me sleep at night, he explained that it's basically all it does, puts people to sleep.

Seroquel is not usually prescribed for depression only. Do you have other illnesses as well? This medication can cause huge amounts of weight gain, can also cause you to become hypothyroid.

Is your doc keeping up with your bloodwork while you're on this medication?

Becoming hypothyroid can also cause you to feel depressed. How long have you been on Seroquel?

Anytime your meds aren't working properly for your body, thoughts like you described can pop in. Talk to your doc and let him/her know your symptoms. Write them down if you have to.

Depression is treatable, but can sometimes be difficult to do so. Can you take someone with you to your next appt? Someone who can be your advocate?

Hang in there....

Nancy B
  5. lynnes

lynnes New Member

Thank you for your advice. I have Cymbalta on my list to talk with my doc about next week. I'll let you know what happens. I appreciate your time and concern. I hope today is a good day for you.
  6. lynnes

lynnes New Member

Thank you for your reply. This bout of depression started last year in October. It's been a heavy load to carry this past year. I know I need to walk. I just can't seem to get myself out of the house to do it on a regular basis, let alone at least once. I used to be happily physically fit. Even when I was depressed, I could make myself get out and do it. Don't know what's changed about that. What makes you get out there to walk? I know it is such a help. I hope this is a good day for you.
  7. lynnes

lynnes New Member

Thank you for your reply. You obviously have a fine mind while you findmind. I have found the depression chat room and for the past two days the people in it have helped me get going. What a gift to me! I'm feeling a bit more hopeful. I hope this is a good day for you.
  8. lynnes

lynnes New Member

Thank you for your reply. I'm new at this and have replied to everyone who has posted. I am sincerely grateful for all the replies have have received.

I've put your comments on my list to talk about with my doc next week. Your words on Seroquel were especially meaningful to me as I have been suspcious of it since I saw no difference in two weeks (I've been on it since last April) and then researched it online. I don't need an antipsychotic.

As with everyone I've replied to, I do sincerely hope this is a good day for you. I'll keep posting.

[This Message was Edited on 11/06/2007]
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

So glad you found the depression chat room...you know "it takes one to know one"?

Depression can be conquered no matter the presentation. I know people who take 2-4 meds, and they are working and having a life they wouldn't have been able to have without the meds.

It also helps us so much to be able to run our thoughts, hopes and dreams by others so they can relate to your needs.

I'm proud of you for reaching out; I have seen so many who wouldn't and they had to stay in their same "hole" for too long before they accepted that their is hope for them out there...or here!

Bless you, dear one,
    p.s. Somedays yes, somedays no, on that fine mind working thingy, LOL!