Where do medical records go??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amymb74, Mar 17, 2006.

1. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

My doctor closed his doors for his own medical reasons a while back (they were supposed to let me know when another doc took over the practice but I never heard back from them). Well today I thought I should call to be sure they still have my records but the # is out of service. I hope they can't get rid of then - it has been a couple of years. AMY
  2. msmac

msmac New Member

while technically belonging to the doctor, the patient has been given rights of access, I believe under HIPPA, but I could be wrong. You could have a hard time getting them if the clinic and all are gone and there is no replacement where your doctor was. Good luck!
  3. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I worked in a medical clinic for several years and dealt with medical records before I became a transcriptionist. They are supposed to keep them I thought 7 years, but they may have changed it to 10. At any rate, legally they should still have them. They are supposed to contact you by letter before they close their practice so you can come pick them up, have them transferred, etc. Any that are left over they have to put in storage or give to the dr. taking over the practice to safetly keep.

Since they didn't contact you, and the # is d/c I don't know what to tell you. Do you know if there is someone practicing in his office now? Maybe they got someone and just didn't tell you. Usually when a new dr. moves, he keeps his same phone #. They might have your records.

Hope you find them.

Hugs,

Deena
  4. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

& see if theres any notice on the door or anything. The # is out of service & his practice was in a building where there were no other docs. If I can't find out that way then I will call the department of health. Thanks. AMY
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

the state board that licenses doctors.

In CA the records are availabe to the patient for a reasonable copying fee. Don't know if there are any statutes dealing with a doctor who retires (or did he move?).
  6. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

no luck. I called the state liscensing board & all they had was his home address so I wrote him a letter. No response & its been 3 weeks. Thought I'd see if anyone had anymore ideas. Also, I called the local hospitals medical record depts to see if they knew but no luck there either. Any more ideas? Thanks, AMY
  7. neen85

neen85 New Member

They may be able to guide you as to where to go. My Mom just passed away and we were told they had to keep her records for 10 yrs. She lived in Oklahoma at the time. Daneen
  8. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I emailed the board of licensure & they called my old doc at his home and he said he didn't get my letter. So, I just have to write him at his home again & he will send them to me. What a relief!! AMY
  9. mykas_mommy

mykas_mommy New Member

I sure hope you are not using a certain Dr in Oklahoma. I have heard rumors that he is shredding all patient files (which is illegal). I would maybe even call what ever hospital he was sponsored by (paged out of or was on the board of). I know the Dr's offices here are staffed thru the hospitals and maybe they have storage of your records.

I believe they must keep records for 7 years, but the Dr office that I worked for actually had records (on microfilm) from the very first patient ever treated there. Good luck!! I would suggest that once a year getting a copy of your chart from any dr or hospital and keep your records for yourself!!!