Where do you buy your blue jeans?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Apr 19, 2008.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

It's that dreaded time again. Time to shop for jeans. It isn't quite as bad as swim suit shopping, but almost.

I've been wearing el cheapo $8 jeans from Wal-Mart for quite a few years. I have to confess, they have the old lady elastic waistbands. It's comfortable and I don't tuck anything in. They are baggy as heck because I like comfort. I would most definitely get laughed at by "What NOT to Wear".

So I'm finally ready to try for an upgrade. Here is my problem (besides a total lack of fashion sense). I have a pretty long rise. If I have the term right, that is the distance between the waist and the crotch. Most jeans ride up on me and I don't like walking around with a permanent wedgie. It's usually worse when I sit.

I'm 5'6 1/2" and weight around 125 lbs. I'm on the slender side, but have a pretty good size caboose. I've never found Levi's or Lee's that fit.

Where do you guys buy your jeans and how much am I looking at? I welcome all suggestions on where to buy, and possibilities on a brand that might fit my body type. Thanks!
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I live in jeans and I'm near enough the same height and weight as you and share the same "rise" issue.

Believe it or not, given the hideous riding up thing (NO!!!), you want a medium low rise jean. The band should be just above your hip bones and no higher.

Jeans that sit at the waist hike up, cut into the tummy when you sit and are all around a pain in the caboose.

Jeans with a low rise and a little stretch are fantastic but, even without the stretch, the low rise makes a world of difference. I could sleep in my jeans, they are so comfy but I cannot even sit in a pair of high rise jeans.

Of course, if you're over 40, you might need longer tops :~)

Enjoy comfy jeans, they are a wonderful thing!

3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Twin and all,

he only differene between you and I is I am like 17 years older than you sweetie and am still having problems with jeans. If anyone has a brand that works and isn't a fortune let me know.

I also have the elastic waist kind to but don't particularly like the look but I do wear them. When I go shopping I have try one millions before I find one that fits right !! I also have a long stride and am 5'5" and about 130 lbs. Most of my weight is at the bottom of course (-: !!

Still trying to find a comfy brand esp since I started gaining a little weight. I used to be soo skinny !! However, I have always had a butt and hips groan !!

Hugs and blessings,

4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Having elastic around my belly would drive me crazy. Low rise jeans seem to not touch you anywhere.

They are held up by the natural and glorious width of a woman's hips... not her tummy!

Don't hold anything up with your tummy!

And, stay out of wedgie world!

Alright, I'm done.

ETA: Gonna roll over and take a nap in my jeans now.

[This Message was Edited on 04/19/2008]
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Every time I have tried on low rise, they feel very funky. Since I hit menopause at age 46 (I'm 51 now), I've had a poochy, bloaty belly. Low rise usually hit me right in the middle of my bloat. I usually opt for a waist that rides above the pooch (hello Wal-Mart jeans), and sadly, that ends up riding just below my boobs. Not a pretty site. Hence the "never tucking in" method.

If I went for low rise, it would have to be really really low. Then I fear I would look like those men with the giant beer bellies hanging over their pants. Well, maybe not quite like that, but you get the picture.

Now I'm wishing I hadn't gotten rid of all my maternity pants! lol

But I will give them another try.

Thanks for all your responses!
  6. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I love the low rise stretch. I don't buy anything else! I'm a size 2. Usually buy at Old Navy, H&M, Walmart etc.

Oh Yes, I also wear long size small mens tank tops tucked into my jeans and a cute top on top. That way I never show a plumber's butt (my hubbie's a Plumber!).

7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm 55.

I've never had one of those bizarre flat abdomens. I choose to see them as bizarre and feel sorry for those who do not have the womanly curve below the belly button seen on most classic statues. (This is my story and I'm sticking to it! :~)

Also, I cannot bear anything that's at all tight or binding around my waist. It makes me feel ill. Elastic really would make me feel terrible. I pull on elastic waists until they are really loose and sit on my hips where they belong.

Properly cut low rise don't go in at the top like high rise do trapping the womanliness and cutting off all circulation and, uhm, movement of, shall we say, air. Low rise just surround and support the womanly form the way a vase supports flowers.

I spent my 20's in what we called "hip huggers" and was completely comfortable. My 30s were an ugly wedgie hell in high cut, pleat front (can it get any worse?!) jeans that spent most of their time in my closet. In my 40s I came to believe that jeans were the devil's garment and I gave them up altogether until I rediscovered the bliss that is the low rise jean.

I think I've become something of a low rise jean evangelist. I am denimed again and I want to save your caboose!

Ok, ok, I'll stop.

Peace out,

8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

But now I need more information about what to look for in a low rise. Where should they hit? Will my belly button actually be visible? How about the backside (plumber butt?) Is there any particular brand that is good for women of our age? Please tell me they aren't $90. Do you get the stretchy material? What store do you shop?

Maybe you'll convert me yet!

p.s. Thanks for making me laugh.

pumpkinpatch - I was definitely concerned about plumber butt. I guess with your hubby being a plumber, you would know first hand about that! I don't want that kind of draftiness going on! Are you wearing low rise stretch jeans in your profile picture? 'Cause you look awesome in them! Do you have any favorite brand?

9. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Yes, these are low rise with a little flared legs from Old Navy. I just put my blouse on top. They are so comfortable. Once you wear them you will love them.
  10. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Those stores have a variety of fits, styles, colors and rises. Just go in and try on a few and see what you are most comfortable in. You can pay very little or very much depending on which store and which style you like.

It's tough! If I find something that fits and looks good, I'll try to get at 2 pairs. It's so hard to find a good pair of jeans .

[This Message was Edited on 04/20/2008]
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Go to the Gap -
    Try on their Long 'n Leans - great fitting jeans! I am tall so of course I love them because I can get them in Long, but they come in regular lengths. My older sisters who wanted some cooler "in style" jeans finally caved and let me take them jean shopping. Both of them loved them! (they're both in their early 50s) I've never met anyone who didn't look good in them. I can spot them a mile away on someone. Really great for all body types. Not too LOW, but a good low rise if you know what I mean.
    Oprah loves them as well =) You can get them on sale sometimes. Certain washes will be on sale too. They do run between $40 and $58, but well worth it to me. Buy them fitted cause they'll stretch out a little as you wear them. Try on more than one pair cause each fits differently.

Gap also has several other styles right now that are great - they have trouser jeans - Curvy jeans that you may love. Their "Classic" style is the only one I would stay away from. Not terribly fashionable or flattering.

I don't like Eddie Bauer cause I think they bag out after a while. They lose their fit making you look heavier than you are and I'm tall and fairly thin. Also Eddie Bauer's are generally too high waisted -or they used to be. =)I can't wear high waisted anymore - not once you've worn the lower rise. You feel like you're being choked, plus I don't think they do anything for your figure.

You can look online. Of course, I've shopped online because I know what I'm looking at - but truthfully they never look good online at Gap for some reason, so definitely go to the store and check them out - I really think you'll like them!
  12. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

get too hot in them. I do have a pair of jean capris that I like though. It took me forever to try capris and one day a friend told me they are cooler to wear than pants and that convinced me to try them.

Maybe Fashion Bug would be a good place to look--they have good sales. :)
  13. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You guys are always so helpful!

I will definitely check out the Gap and Old Navy. I haven't been to the regular Gap for years. I have been to Gap for Kids much more. I drag my 13 yo twins there occasionally. They are NOT into shopping. I guess I should be grateful!

I think I will also check out the low rise jeans at Macy's since I still have a gift card from Christmas (I'm not that into shopping, either, lol).

janalynn - thanks for all the Gap jeans info. That was awesome! Those are the kind of details that help me sort out what is what in the jean world.

Although I'm still a low rise skeptic, I'm going to give them a shot. You all have convinced me!

Thank you ALL for taking the time to respond!
  14. ksp56

ksp56 Member

If you have one in your area, I highly recommend their jeans!

They sit low and have some spandex with cotton. They have petite's also. I bought an expensive pair of jeans, but wear the one's from Cato. They also work with my 'tummy'!

Some smaller stores do not sell jeans in warmer weather. If so, I'd look on their website.

For me it's swimsuit season.....gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!

15. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Hi Twinma,

I have to agree with Rafiki on the low rise. I'll be 49 this year and that's what I wear. I also have a higher waist than most people and cannot wear anything that is supposed to hit at the waist.

There are options regarding the lower rises now, which is great!! For instance at Old Navy they have jeans that are very low rise, low rise, mid rise, just below the waist and at the waist. I aim for the mid rise and that works for me. They are not real low and I don't have to worry about the plumbers crack. Also the belly bulge doesn't hang over either.

Old Navy is very reasonably priced too. I do wear Gap jeans too, but moslty old navy. And the stretch in the jeans makes them so much more comfy these days!!

[This Message was Edited on 04/20/2008]
  16. pasara

pasara New Member

the gap classic fit 1969 jeans size 4 or 6 fit me perfectly! i am 5'6" and 125 lbs. they are so comfy. i wore the same pair of gap jeans for 5 years, but then finally decided that i needed a pair that maybe didn't have paint all over them for dress up occasions, like when i go out to a fancy restaurant (lol), so i went in and bought another pair of the same ones. i feel like a queen.

17. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have a pair of the 1969 Gap jeans as well - get tons of compliments on them!
    Believe me, once you wear a lower-rise jean you won't go back. There are plenty that come just below your belly button - you don't have to wear the ultra low rise. I've put on pants now that are 'higher waisted' and can't stand the feeling.

Gap's jeans often have a little bit of stretch as well.

I probably have 15 pairs of capris as well - all different styles. I love them, especially for summer. I'm almost 5'10 so I don't have to hunt for a 'long' pant, which is nice. Some of my favorites (cargo capris) are from the Gap.
  18. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I went to the Gap yesterday and tried on about 20 pairs of jeans. None fit. I had one of the Gap people helping me, so I think I tried on all they had. I tried the Essential, Classic 1969, Boot Cut, Long & Lean and even the trouser jean. NONE worked for me. They all cut me right across my big bloated belly. I felt like I was wearing a very cinched up belt across my gut. They all felt very constricting. The backside was a bit gappy on most of them, too.

I tried on size 8 and size 10. The 10 were falling off me, so I went to 8. They were better, but still really pinched my belly. And when I sat down, forget it. The part of my belly that wasn't pinched under the jeans just hung over the front. It was not a pretty site.

I must have a very different belly problem than most of you. I am so bummed out!

On the bright side, my butt looked great (except for the little bit of gappiness) and so did my legs!
    It's just that darn bloated belly that I can't seem to work around. Blehh!

I will still try Old Navy and see how that goes. I have never heard of Cato's, so I don't think we have those around here.

I was so depressed yesterday after trying on jeans, but I'm feeling better today. There has to be something out there that works with my weird shape. I will not give up!

Thank you all for your input. You guys are great!
  19. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Sorry you had a frustrating experience at the Gap. I saw a Spring fashion show on TV the other day and the one model had on "Not Your Daughters Jeans" on and they looked really good. Apparently they make you look 1 size smaller. I don't know about the Rise and they are probably expensive.
  20. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks pumpkinpatch. I looked these up online and found you can buy them at Nordstrom's. They run about $100. They sound interesting, but you were right--the price is pretty high, and I'm not so sure about the "corset-like effect". Could be a major Ouch!

What's funny is that the models for NYDJ look like they COULD be my daughters! They are all young and thin!

I also found them at the AsWeChange website. That's worth looking at because it's kind of funny. At least the accessories gave me a chuckle. Here's the blurb on Not Your Daughter's Jeans:

Tummy Tuck Jeans - designed to fit women with real curves! Enjoy instant gratification in Tummy Tuck Jeans! The exclusive hidden, patented Criss-Cross Panel will flatten your tummy, lift your buttocks, eliminate ‘love handles,’ and make you look a size smaller instantly!

The hottest style from Not Your Daughter’s Jeans flattens the tummy, contours the hips, and lifts the buttocks, while still allowing you to breathe comfortably. The patented "criss-cross" stitching on the inside of the front pockets creates a corset-like effect that holds your stomach in to make it look flatter! Stretch denim for ease of movement. 5-pocket, zip-fly. Bootcut jean has 33" inseam. 96% cotton/4% spandex. Machine wash. USA. Sizes 8-18.