WHERE Do You Feel Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by furbymom, Nov 11, 2005.

1. furbymom

furbymom New Member

Hi, I am new here. I think I have fibromyalgia, based on the research I have been doing. I keep reading about the "pain". Where exactly do you all feel this pain? I cannot find anything about the location of the pain in my research.
    Last Feb. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid. I developed severe pain in my right leg that caused me to limp - my right leg is now longer than the left. I have pain and stiffness mainly in my hips and rt. leg. I have been to several doctors, but no one has the diagnosis or cure. I am still limping and have constant discomfort and pain. I know it is an auto-immune situation. I do not want to take any prescription drugs and have been taking herbs and vitamins, iodine and a thyroid product from Nature's Sunshine.
    I just wanted to find out what kind of pain you all have and where it is located. Thank you.
  2. cbella

cbella New Member

My muscles are painful to the touch. some days my hips and thighs hurt real bad. Everyday my upper arms are sore. It moves around. One day one thing will hurt - maybe another day, nothing hurts. Try taking magnesium. I found when I first came down with FM, it really helped. I don't notice as much now, but I still take it daily. I take 400mg 2-3 times a day. good luck...... also look up the thread on epsom salt and peroxide bathes.....It's a good temporary help, especially if your legs are "killing you!" Hope this helps you :) cbella
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

For the most part, routine laboratory testing reveals nothing about fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. However, upon physical examination, the fibromyalgia patient will be sensitive to pressure in certain areas of the body called tender points. To meet the diagnostic criteria for FMS, patients must have:

A. Widespread pain in all four quadrants of their body for a minimum of three months

B. At least 11 of the 18 specified tender points (to qualify for diagnosis) *
    · Occiput: suboccipital muscle insertion
    · Low cervical: anterior aspects of the intertransverse spaces of C5-C7
    · Trapezius: midpoint of the upper border
    · Supraspinatus: above the medial border of the scapular spine
    · Gluteal: upper outer quadrants of buttocks
    · Greater trochanter: posterior to the trochanteric prominence
    · Second rib: second costochondral junctions
    · Lateral epicondyle: 2 cm distal to the epicondyle
    · Knee: medial fat pad proximal to the joint line
    Over 75 other tender points have been found to exist, but are not used for diagnostic purposes.

{The American College of Rheumatology (ACR) 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia [Klippel JH, ed. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. Atlanta: Arthritis Foundation; 1997:124-127, 457.]}