Where do you feel the pain of carpal tunnel?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twerp, Jan 24, 2006.

1. twerp

twerp New Member

I always thought you would feel the pain on the "underside" of your wrists (where you take a pulse). I guess that was because I've seen scars from people who had surgery for it and that's where they were located.

However, I've been having pain on the "thumb side" of my wrists. The bone on that side actually feels sore, and that area is quite painful.

Can this be carpal tunnel pain?

Thanks & Hugs,
    Twerp
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I have carper tunnel in my right hand .I feel the pain in my fingers and wrist.

I have tendinitis in my left hand .I feel pain in my thumb and all the way up to mt elbow.My thumb will lock in place and then I cant move it on some days.

I already know I'm going for surgery on my left hand.I wear a brace all day on my left. ( got it from my orthopedic doctor its a special one that protects my thumb)

I also had to have a brace made for my carper tunnel.I wear that one at night to protect it from further damage .

Hope this helped.

Sue
  3. twerp

twerp New Member

Yes, that does help. Hard to narrow down all these aches and pains, isn't it? Most of my pain seems to be transitory, but this wrist pain has been with me for some weeks now.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My main symptoms with the carpel tunnel were numbness and weakness. I had pain at the base of my thumb and sometimes the back of my wrist.

Before I had surgery the doc had me sleep in wrist braces, both hands. Although my right one seems to be ok (I'm left handed) he said the braces would help to keep me from having a problem with the right. These were over the counter braces. Metal stiffening on the bottom, goes over and around fingers and thumbs, stretchy. Worked to keep the right from getting bad, but still had to have surgery on the left.

What made me finally go get it checked was that I kept dropping glasses! You can only break so many glasses before you start to wonder if there just might be something wrong!

One thing my surgeon said was if your hand goes to sleep at night and your little finger isn't numb (asleep) with it, than it is probably carpel tunnel. For some reason it doesn't effect the little finger. Must be the way the nerves run.

Hope that helps.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and Smell the Puppies!
  5. KJH_10

KJH_10 New Member

I was told that I have carpal tunnel in my left hand. I felt this pain in my thumb and base of my hand, This pain radiated all the way up my arm though. I wear a brace at night, this prevents me to bend my wrist and thumb, when the pain gets bad.
  6. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have it in both hands. My orthopedist explained it to me this way - the carpal tunnel is in your wrist and if you press on it you will experience radiating pain. But I don't really feel the pain in my wrists - I feel it shooting through my palm on the thumb side and into the thumb and the next two fingers.

I also get numbness and tingling when it starts to flare up...and that is when I call him and get cortisone injections - very painful but without use of your thumbs you can't do a lot of things. I let it get so bad that I have no choice but experience the pain.

Last - I have ulnar tunnel syndrome in my right arm. The ulnar is muscle in the elbow area and it radiates pain through to your hand but affects the ring finger and pinky. Same thing - pain and numbness.

Good luck, Nancy