Where do you Find Natural Supplements and VIts.?/

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 21, 2005.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am confused with the naural vs synthetic
    supplements..My doctor wants me to start on CQ10, BComplex, Omega Fish Oils, Vit. C,
    Magnisum, and a Natural Vit. and Mineral supplement. She said take the natural ones, but I can't find them or find on the bottle where it says its natural...

I found some of the Springvalley ones at walmart that says natural but does that mean they are not synthetic? The GNC store is the only health food store we have here but the girl there wasn't any help..

Sorry to be so confused but I honestly don't know what I am looking for so any help would be most appreciated....

Thanks
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

How do I go on line here are the ones sold here natural? I don't travel out of town
    are there any brand names that are all natural so I would know what to order?

Thanks for your help
  3. kbak

kbak Member

To go to the store here, just click on the the store tab at the top of the page. Then when you get to the store, look on the left hand side for vitamins and click that.

I don't think you can go wrong ordering from here. Something else you might want to do is send for vitamin catalogs. You can go to vitaminshoppe.com or puritan.com and find where it says, catalog, or order catalog.

The vitamin companies have natural and synthetic synthetic vitamins. If you want simple, just order from the store here.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

Natural supplements are made from whole substances vs. being created in a lab. Most vitamins we buy are actually made in a lab, if you can believe it !!

For example, I use a multi vitamin that says across the top label "Food Compound Vitamin" ... meaning all the nutrients are from whole foods. You can put the name "rightfoods" in the google search bar for more product information.

You can also put "biopathics" in you search engine.

I hope this helps you out some.....

Elsa
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I have found that this site's "Store" provides good quality product, sometimes a little pricey; however, some of the profit goes into research.

The other "best" site that I've found to be the least costly and that offers good product is:

[commercial url removed as per rules]

Brand of vitamins to look for include:

Twinlab
    Natrol
    Naturally Vitamins
    North American Herb
    Rainbow Light
    Schiff

I hope that this will give you some practical help ..

Jeannette
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Fish oils and flax seed oils are all natural, but it is important to know if the fish oil could be contaminated.

Consumer Reports looked at them to see if they contained the doses listed, whether they had additives, whether they were contaminated. They tested around 35 brands.

The prices varied widely, but they found that the Sam's and Costco's were the correct dosage, did not contain additives, nor were they contaminated, like with mercury.

THEY ALSO WERE PENNIES A DAY FOR THE DOSAGE, AND SOME COST AS MUCH AS $1.50.

Sam's even carried a brand of fish now which is enteric coated for those who just couldn't tolerate regular fish oil.
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

everything I got here is remarkably fresh and potent. I use Cellular Support w/ Iron, great price, dynamo value I'm loving it, the same one w/out the iron is twice the price though.

Good luck, some companies make you dig for if it's really natural or not, but the more you have to dig, the less natural they probably are.

Just because many nutrients are cultured in a lab, doesn't mean they can't be a real vitamin or mineral taht the body needs and can utilize. It is the synthetics taht are made from bizarre materials like vit. E made from turpentine, and others that are sourced from petrochemicals then chemically manipulated to resemble the natural nutrient.

Trust me, the body knows the difference. A label or two has slipped by me, and my body let me know w/ urethral irritation and foul smelling urine. Flourescent urine is also a tip off for fake B vitamins.

Jeanne
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

"Using the cheap fake stuff is like having a really fancy, really expensive car and running it on kerosene for gas and mud for oil. And that junk CAN NOT help heal your body. The Standard and Systemic can help your body heal the best it can."

More often the stock phrase is "isolated, fractionated, pieces of crap".

While I agree w/ this about true synthetic vitamins, I don't understand why someone can make statements like that, repeatedly, and it's ok to say here at Prohealth who sells such supplements lumped into this nefarious category.

Jeanne
  9. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Yes, very good question.

By the way, you taught me something new--only fake B vitamins cause florescent urine? I thought all B vitamins did that--thanks for the tip-- I will remember it.

Nicole
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2005]
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Yes, only the fakers cause the flourescent colour. Natural B's will make your urine brighter and more yellow, but one of the B complex in particular naturally has the yellow pigment. Other's have remarked the same symptoms as me from fake B's, but either didn't know what to make of it, or unfortunately assumed all B's did this and swore off them.

The difference w/ the natural ones is they shouldn't make your urine much different than a meal heavy in meat, whole grains, or produce rich in natural B's. If you just start taking natural B's, they may initially make your urine richer looking, but that's only until your body adjusts and starts absorbing more of them.

I took B-100's for awhile, not usually what I reach for, but did I ever notice a burst in energy and better mood. It just so happened to be the day after Ron's aunt's death, so I felt almost guilty until I clued in. I also noticed when my body adjusted, I absorbed most of them. Esp. if I ws sicker or extra stressed, I would notice differences in absorbtion on days like this. As many have noted, your body takes what it needs, and easily excretes the rest if it's water soluable.

Jeanne
  11. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Thanks for going into more detail for me--The body is so complex that at times I wonder why I even bother trying to figure out what is going on in there .. .

Anyway, thanks for the lesson in B vitamins--

Take care,
    Nicole
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

I'm not familiar w/ the brand Twin Labs at all. Sorry, if I'm assuming you are American and you aren't. The point being, many brands are mentioned on here I've never heard of probably because they aren't sold in Canada.

Are you very sensitive to supps? If you are the Twin Labs would be irritating something if they weren't alright. Sometimes it's good to stay w/ one trusted brand. I balance between efficacy and price for value, so I use different brands, but have my trusted ones. Prohealth is now a trusted brand.

"Hello yellow", yep that's apt. A nd then other days my urine is alarmingly insipid looking, and I wonder where'd my vitamins go. I think that is also part of the fibro muscle problem, overdoing/underdoing, and hard to get a happy medium. At least half the reason so many of us have IBS.

Jeanne
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

most of what you are detailing to me, is in a nutshell called synergy. I'm quite well aquainted w/ it, any holistic nutritionist is, or they didn't study very hard. I did. I also studied very hard when I took my medical terminology/pathology course. I'll pretend I'm humble and not mention my grades.

So you see, I straddle integrative medicine quite comfortably. And while you are preaching to the choir about synergy, and maximal absorption cofactor nutrients, I do not, and will not anytime soon share your views about whole foods supplements being the start all and end all. There are pros and cons to them like any supplement. I also think the RDA is a joke and doesn't come close to meeting even most normal people's nutritional needs.

We could bat about what we agree and disagree on, but it's a timewaster for me. You feel you have adequate education to back what you believe, so do I. The difference being, I don't personally sell the supplements I believe in. I take them, and recommend them, and many others have benefited from that too. My nutritional studies have gotten me out of bed, and more functional every year, where often I have gotten worse from iatrogenic causes.

You would probably like one of my favourite course books, "Diet & Nutrition, a holistic approach" by Rudolph Ballentine, MD. He shares some of your views, I still refer to it almost as much as "The Language of Medicine". I try not to throw the baby out w/ the bathwater.

Jeanne

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2005]
  14. tansy

tansy New Member

I too studied and qualified in clinical nutrition, which included the naturopathic approach. This course and qualification, unlike the others on offer at the time, covered all philosophies and models so that’s why I chose it. That was some years ago, and since then many theories have changed, and even the physiology I too had to wade through has evolved as more has been learned though scientific biomedical research.

Through observations and personal experiences I have not found only what the purists call natural supps to necessarily be the best, very often it turns out individuals find what works best for them comes from a mix of both sources.

There are some who follow this only natural medicine and live food philosophy and do well; what really concerns me is if they fail, just like their mainstream medical counterparts, practioners then blame the patient for not complying, not being committed enough, or insist there is an emotional block.

An example of natural Vs unnatural - I did everything right to get my sodium and potassium ratios balanced through the naturopathic approach, it failed. Recuperat-ion (Blasi protocol) worked. Recup is based on pharmaceutically prepared electrolyte/minerals carefully balanced to match the ideal intracellular levels. It took science, unnatural sources of the minerals, and Alfred Blasi’s common sense to produce a formula that’s helping a lot of people now.

I am one of those who only turns to orthodox medicine if self help or alternatives don’t or won’t work; I also turn to orthodox medicine when I want to know what is going on so I can make better informed decisions whatever path I might take.

Paying practioners of alternative/natural medicine has been a real mix for many of us. There’s good and bad in all professions but often failures occurred because a practioner had not understood sufficiently what they were treating, misjudged the underlying cause(s), or was too sure their means of treating patients had the answers for everything so it narrowed their vision too much and they missed the obvious.

Ralph many of us genuinely have modest incomes and there is a limit to what we can spend on something that has no absolute guarantees because no single model does. There is often the additional problem of how far those severely affected with these DDs can travel especially if it needs to be on a regular basis. So individuals have to make choices and opt for what they think will work best for them balancing their personal experiences of what becomes labelled as CFS, FM etc, with their physical and financial resources.

We all appreciate the info and your views; but like the rest of us you must expect different viewpoints and for them to be debated. I learned a lot from individuals being determined to prove their opinion was right and an individual with an opposing opinion wrong, each would source evidence to prove their hypothesis and the rest of us probably ended up learning and understanding more than either of them.

I have personally gained the most lasting benefits from what is often referred to as integrative medicine alongside self help based on a lot of research form a very wide range of sources and patient feedback. Now that I am making some real progress energy based medicine, like traditional Chinese acupuncture, is working better; before it could only act as a band-aid, for unrelated health problems, or did not work at all.

Tansy[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2005]