Where does one get probiotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moab341, Mar 15, 2007.

1. moab341

moab341 New Member

And what are they exactly?

I have FM and tested positive for Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and I'm wondering if this is something I should look into. My Rheumy has not said anything about it.

I would appreciate any info...Thanks! Roni
  2. surfnut

surfnut New Member

Hi Moab. Try on here in the store. Just do a quick search on Google and you`ll find out all you`ll need to know. Good luck :) Brian
  3. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Pro-Biotics are considered beneficial bacteria that help your digestive system. When one takes antibiotics or certain other factors it can deplete there beneficial bacteria. That good bacteria helps protect against harmful pathogens.

I think a very good brand and believe it or not an MD Gastroenterologist recommended to me is flora Q. Just google it and you can get it from a number of different places. It is expensive for that brand, but I think it is better. It is about a dollar a capsule.

If that is to expensive, different people have their preferences as to how much to take and what brand. I think a less expensive but good brand that you can find in almost any healthfood store is PB 8 and get the vegeterian caps. Try to stay away from the one's that contain any dairy. And make sure they are gluten free. Start with the recommended dose and than figure out which dose works best for you. Best of luck and hope this helps. They really can be very beneficial.
  4. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I get mine from the health food store locally. They are found in the refigerator and don't forget to keep them refrigerated when you get home. :)

I am on antibiotics and without the probiotics, I couldn't handle the antibiotics. I know when I missed the dose of probiotics because my stomach becomes very irritated.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2007]
  5. moab341

moab341 New Member

Thanks all.....I will definatley look into it.

I am working with a Rheumy and have not asked him about it yet..are they generally for or against them?

I have not been diagnosed with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease but the initial blood tests came back positive.
    No C3 or C4 activity going on so who knows?

I'm being re-tested in a couple weeks.

Will it hurt to take the probiotics? Will it help with IBS?

I have not been on any antibiotics lately.....would they still be beneficial.
    I have been searching the net, but I wanted to hear it from people who have taken them.

Thanks everyone! Roni

6. moab341

moab341 New Member

So....do you take them ONLY after you have taken antibiotics?
    Or..on a regular basis?
  7. moab341

moab341 New Member

When you start on probiotics?
    Does it clean you out?
    Hurt your stomach?

Is there anytime where it would NOT be good for someone to take them?

I am really trying to figure this out, and have not been able to by reading the posts.
    I have started taking them, but my IBS is worse and wondered if that's normal? Roni
  8. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I've taken a couple kinds, including VSL#3, which is available over the internet only for big bucks and has a ton of stuff in it.

I don't notice any difference at all. I have microscopic colitis and expected some help.

Usually they have lacto strains and bifido strains. I get a lot of lacto from yogurt.
  9. TerryS

TerryS Member

I use super green food (a powder that you mix in apple juice and drink). I'm not a big vegetable eater, so I can my veggies that way. I get mine from ProHealth. They currently have two different ones to choose from.

Anyhow, most of the green foods also have the probiotics built in. I take mine every day. I also have IBS and it helps A LOT with that.

But I did notice that I only need to take about 1/3 of their recommended dose. Any more than that causes loose stools. I've never tried staying on a larger dose for more than a couple of days...maybe I should have given it time. But I figure that any amount is better than nothing.

TerryS
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You can also buy your probiotics and supplements here at the Pro Health store.

They have great customer service and a wonderful return policy.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  11. Ginner

Ginner New Member

good info
  12. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

and have used several brands,including eating a lot of plain yogurt guaranteeing live beneficial bacteria. I take several capsules daily when I learned yeast infections were often caused by the destruction of these beneficial bacteria ( by the use of antibiotics. I presently only use antibiotics prior to dental cleaning as I have mitral valve prolapse and the use of antibiotics prior to having my teeth cleaned is indicated as cleaning releases lots of bad bacteria.
    The brand of probiotic I am presently using is Metagenics, "Ultra Flora Plus DF" capsules containing both lactobacillus NCFM and Bifidobacterium Lactis Bi-07 (formerly known as B. infantis). I buy them from my rheumatologist, who maintains his own laboratory and checks the contents of the supplements he sells, and I notice a definite improvement in the results. Prior to using this brand, I've used several types of probiotics from a local health food store and found Natren to be effective, also.

In my opinion, it is important to check the freshness of all supplements, especially of probiotics. They should be kept refrigerated. (I used a brand which supposedly didn't need refrigeration and I found them ineffective.
    I find fresh probiotics, used in sufficient quantities greatly reduce, or eliminate flatulence and bloating.

Hope you find what works well for you!

With love, Dorothy