Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaminhealth, Jan 28, 2014.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

If I Had A Hammer....Pete Seeger died yesterday at 94...a songwriter, folk singer and longtime social activist is gone. I just heard an hour program on Pete with Amy Goodman, Democracy Now producer....

A great man who made a big difference in our lives.....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Seeger
    Wikipedia
    Loading... Peter "Pete" Seeger (May 3, 1919 – January 27, 2014) was an American folk singer. A fixture on nationwide radio in the 1940s, he also had a string of hit records ...
    Toshi Seeger - ‎The Weavers - ‎Where Have All the Flowers - ‎If I Had a Hammer
  2. jaminhealth

The radio I listen to is playing all his songs...just warm memories and so profound in justice for all....
  3. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Saw Pete and Arlo Guthrie at the Greek Theater (an open air venue located in Griffith Park,
    Los Angeles) in 1986. That was the same year Moses Asch died. He was the founder of
    Folkways Records for which Pete made several recordings. After Moses died, the Smithsonian
    bought his archives of more than 2000 recordings for $800,000.

Pete also recorded for Decca and Columbia. The Weavers recordings were big hits in the 50s.
    Decca didn't feel quite comfortable with the folk sound, so Gordon Jenkins and his orchestra
    provided the accompaniment for "Goodnight, Irene", "On Top of Old Smokey", and "So Long,
    It's Been Good ta Know Ya" written by Pete's friend Woody Guthrie.

The Weavers were put out of business by the House Un-American Activities Committee.
    Pete was sentenced to prison for contempt of Congress. He served no time or a brief
    time depending on which source you read.

Kinda funny. Recent polls show the American public has a good deal of contempt for
    our present Congress. BTW, the Chairman of the Committee Parnell Thomas went to prison
    for fraud. I assume no folk songs were played at his funeral.

So long, Pete. It's been good ta know ya.

Rock
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Amen and thanks for the video DIANE ! Boy it sure has been a LONG time since I heard these songs. Oh, I loved a lot of the old Folk Songs. There are SO MANY !!

Thanks y'all,
    Granni :) Yep I am tapping my feet, at least to some of them (If I had A Hammer). God bless you Peter ! and all the many folk singers !!
  5. springwater

springwater Member

had never heard of him, but he looked like a beautiful person when they showed hi on tv

he does seem to hv led a meaningful, fulfilled life

god bless
  6. niferanne

niferanne Member

Pete Servers music crossed over many generations and I pray it will continue to do so. He lived what he sang of and impacted so many, I'm one! It was his music I always loved singing and Turn, Turn, Turn will always be in the top five of lifelong favorites. Somehow, I thought he'd live forever. . I guess his music will!
  7. Darrae

Darrae Member

Wow............what a great loss. I grew up singing all those great songs. Where Have All The Flowers Gone was one of my favorites. I used to sing it to my kids when they were little.

We sang If I Had a Hammer in chorus. Pete Seeger songs bound so many of us together. Guantanamera was wonderful. Some of my friends didn't care for that one too much, but I thought it was great!

His contribution to Folk Music was unmatched. Great story Rock. I wish I'd been able to see him perform live. I never had that privilege. On Top of Old Smokey and the Wreck of The John B when he was with the Weavers are such classics!

He will be sorely missed. Like the Guthries, (Woody and Arlo), he was a one of a kind.

Sing it in Heaven Pete! Amen.

Dar
  8. jaminhealth

Guantanamara, I'm humming it now...didn't know it was Pete's....loved that tune.....
  9. niferanne

niferanne Member

I, too, did not know Guantanamara was a Seeger song, but should have guessed because I love all his songs. Humming along with you, Jaminhealth!
  10. Darrae

Darrae Member

Guantanamera was originally written as a patriotic song about Cuba.

This started out as a poem written by the Cuban writer Jose Marti (1853-1895). The poem is about a girl from Guantanamo and was written from the point of view of a Cuban revolutionary. In the early 1960s Pete Seeger heard Hector Angulo singing a Cuban folk song using Marti's words based on a traditional melody adapted by bandleader Joseito Fernandez. This was the time of the Cuban missile crisis and the peace activist Seeger decided to adapt it in honor of Marti. He combined Marti's original Spanish with spoken English and made it into a song for the peace movement.
    In 1966, a Los Angeles folk trio called The Sandpipers recorded a version of this that hit #7 in the UK and #9 in the US.

Pete Seeger's version of the was released on his album, "We Shall Overcome," recorded live at Carnegie Hall in 1963, in the year after the Cuban Missile Crisis. Seeger later urged American audiences to "to sing "Guantanamera" in the original Spanish and not in translation "to hasten the day" that "the U.S.A. . . .is some sort of bilingual country."

It's probably the song he's most famous for...case and point it's only one of two of his songs listed on SongFacts even though he wrote and recorded volumes more. Jose Feliciano did a great Spanish version.

I've always loved that one. It sounds so light and breezy when listening to it in Spanish, so one doesn't really get the "gist" of what the song was really about. Pete's version was masterful.

Dar
  11. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Thanks for the info on Guantanamera, Dar. Anyone curious about the history of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" can find it on Wikipedia. Pete wrote the first 3 verses. I think I was familiar with the song for a couple decades before someone pointed out to me that song
    describes a circle. Or to put it another way, it's about recycling. Too bad we can't have all
    the beautiful, nostalgic, inspiring, and majestic songs about wars and nations without also
    having the wars.

Leah, thanks for your kind comments. Yes, It was Arlo in "Alice's Restaurant". Pete
    Seeger and Lee Hayes were also in the film. For decades I thought Woody Guthrie was
    too, but in checking movie sites, I see an actor played Woody.

Just read on Wikipedia that the church that became Alice's Restaurant is now the Guthrie
    Center. Many folkies have performed there including Arlo and the great song writer/singer
    Tom Paxton.

Rock
  12. jaminhealth

I get so angry with all these wars and all these young people who come home, dealing with mangled bodies and minds and jobless lives and all the old geisers who sent them into wars sitting in their mansions.....grrrrrrr

Seeger was very anti war.....jam