Where in America was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 16, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thought I'd put a slight variation on the game. Sorry if this makes it harder, Rosie and Paulmack!

Hint: this one is not on either coast. It is on a famous national lakeshore, though.

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2007]
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Painted rocks, or picture rocks or something like that Up North?

My hubby has been there lots of times as a teen.

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Wrong state, but you're in the right part of the country.
  4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Great pic.Just logged in for 10 mins before going to bed.No idea about the location.Maybe Arizona???
    Ah well,will do some Googling for 10 mins or so.
    Will check back in the morning,I take it someone will have found it by then.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

I was going to say "I Know,,I Know" lolol! But i Don't so i'll keep looking! It's a really Neat looking Rock with all the Trees growing out of it ,,,,,,,,And it Looks like it has Legs/shoes,,,,,,,,sis p.s. i put up a photo of The Waterton Mountian Lakes,,,
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

There actually are some places in the Southwest that look like that (usually without the trees), but this one's in the Midwest.

Sorry it's getting past your bedtime, Sir Paul!

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sorry, I tend to post really hard ones!
    It does sort of look like it has legs.
    Great picture of Waterton Lakes that you put up, btw.
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Is Waterton Mountain anything like Wolverton Mountain? That was a big hit when I was in school. The zenith of Claude King's c-w career.

Anyway, as usual, I don't know where the mystery spot is. I can't look on the net because:

1) my computer is too recalcitrant;
    2) the library is having a book sale and it's calling my name. Maybe I'll find a copy of The Elephant's Daughter.

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hope you find some treasures at the book sale.
    Too bad you don't have time to look. You might recognize this area; it's not too far from your old stomping grounds.

10. sisland

sisland New Member

It's ok no need to be sorry!! just looking to see if i can find it!,,,,,,Rock,,,Waterton is a Nat'l park in Canada,,,,,that Borders with Montanas Glacier Park,,,And yes i Do Remember the Song,,,

But i thought it was sung by Johnny Horton,,,,,,,,See how smart you are!,,"They say don't go up Wolverton Mountian" laa Laa Something about not comming back down! anyway i'll stop!,,,,,,,,Sis
  11. rockgor

I got another bag full of paperbacks for a dollar at the library sale. But I always give the volunteers an extra buck cause it's the only chance in my life to pretend I'm a big spender.

They say don't go on Wolverton Mt.
    If you're lookin' for a wife.
    Cause Clifton Clowers has a pretty young daughter.
    He's mighty handy w/ a gun and a knife.

And so on and so on.

Hey, if that's near my old stomping grounds it might be a spot I visited over half a centry ago, the Wisconsin Dells.
    A whole carload of us teenage cave guides took an expedition to other caves and tourist attractions.

Some places let us in free.

Well, have to go do some light reading.

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

but it's not in the Wisconsin Dells. Think a bit farther north.

I remember that song, "Wolverton Mountain."
    Does it have the same melody as "Love is a Rose"?

Love is a rose,
    but you better not pick it.
    It only grows when it's on the vine.
  13. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Is it on Lake Superior? I went to the website you gave Fight, gorgeous pics!! I have been searching images for a while now. I came up with a lot of arch rock formations but none that look exactly like the one posted. Will keep looking........Kim :)
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

Not the same Melody,,,I'm Still looking,,
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Fight: I just looked at the link you posted.

It's an arch in the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior (the big lake they call Gitchegoomee, according to the Gordon Lightfoot song), in northern Wisconsin, Fight4acure's home state!

16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Have you ever been to this lakeshore, Fight? When I was a kid, we used to drive up to the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. One year, we drove all of the way around the lake.

Here's a bit on the Apostle Islands:

The Apostle Island National Lakeshore's steep sandstone cliffs represent some of the finest artistically carved rock sculptures in the world. Actually an archipelago of 21 densely forested islands off the coast of Bayfield, Wisconsin in Lake Superior. Its rock formations are also the result of glacial drift action. A time when huge boulders carried by slow moving glaciers were deposited on the island's shore. Wind and water erosion honing these rocks into the shapes we see today.

17. rockgor

Around these parts they grow on bushes.

Read an interview w/ a florist. He said people still order American Beauty Roses even tho they don't make 'em anymore.

Maybe, Ken, you mean Amanda McBride's song "The Rose".
    Taped Bryn Terfel's recording of same. Very nice, but not the same as W. M.

"Just remember in the winter
    Far beneath the bitter snows.
    Lies the seed that with the sun's love
    In the spring, becomes a rose."

Poetic license? Can one really go from a seed to a bloom in a couple months?

Well, you always stir up interest w/ your Global guessing game.

18. sisland

sisland New Member

I Kept looking off and on all Evening,,,Neat that you Found it in your home State!

Whats Her prize Ken? lolol,, By the way in my search for Famous Rock Formations i found this site if you want to check it out,,,S

19. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Don't think I would have got Lake Superior Ken,but I did come across Wisconsin Dells in my searches.
  20. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but a spectacular site.