Where in the world is this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jan 14, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

Click on my name to see the picture.

It's not in the United States, and it's nowhere near PaulMack's railroad bridge in Scotland.

[This Message was Edited on 01/14/2007]
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It does look like part of the Himalaya, but it is actually in the Western Hemisphere.

Ouch: Getting closer. This famous canyon is somewhere between Peru and the U.S.

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Andes Mountains, but which country, hmmmm.
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

I am going to say Cooper Canyon in Divisadero. Am I warm? Carla
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Colca Canyon? Though not world-famous like the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA, the Colca Canyon is twice as deep, making it the deepest canyon on earth. Could it be?
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

ckball is right, cooper canyon, because there is a train ride through there and this picture is through a window.
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It is the Barranca del Cobre, or Copper Canyon, in the Sierra Madre mountains in the state of Chihuahua, Mexico. I've always found canyons really interesting and beautiful.

Great job on identifying the scenic railroad stop window, too. It's on the Chihuahua-Pacifico railroad line, one of the most spectacular railway journeys in the world.

Many Americans don't realize that Copper Canyon is one and a half times as deep as the Grand Canyon, and it's much mor extensive.

Colca Canyon in Peru is deeper yet, but there's a canyon in Tibet called the Tsangpo Gorge is challenging Colca Canyon for the title of the world's deepest.

Can you name the native tribe that lives in and around the canyon that is famous for long-distance running?

8. elliespad

elliespad Member

Carla gets all the glory for this one. She found it, I just jumped on her canyon train.
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

You can jump on my train any time! Ke was generous with clues and I have a thing for canyons.

I have been to the lower Grand canyon a few years ago and just stood in awe- absolutely amaging to me. If I was healthy I would so the slow boat ride on the river but they can have the class 4's

Another good pic Ken. I save them each time in my Ken file.
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Isn't the Grand Canyon beautiful?
    Did you hike in or out? I've never floated the Colorado, but have always wanted to.
  11. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

It makes me want to travel there...

12. ckball

ckball New Member

No I haven't hiked the canyon. I was in Vegas playing in a national singles pool tounament, I used to be quite a pool shark.

However, I did not fair well so I had an extra day before coming home. So I took a day trip to the Canyon. I flew in a little plane that seated 10 or so to the Canyon, then got on a bus that took us to 3 scenic areas where we got to stay an hour or so.

I took some beautiful pics from the plane on the way back. I changed my roll of film at one of the stop offs.

Sadly, when I returned to my room that night my camera was gone. I only had the one roll I took out. I guess I left it on the plane or the taxi that took me back to my hotel.

Do you live close to the canyon? I would love to go back someday. Carla