Where in the world was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Nov 26, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Time for a new game.

Click on my name to see the photo. Silly guesses are always welcome!
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I had when I was a kid. Came from the petrified forest. I used to take it to school every year.

What happened to all those treasures I had: a fox skin, an ostrich egg, fossils in limestone, seashells from Florida,
    and an arrowhead made of obsidian. Not to mention all the comic books my mother threw away.

Apparently the unwritten laws of motherhood require mothers to throw away comic books and baseball cards, the value of which is roughly equivalent to that of a new car.

Dave Barry is of the theory that they do it w/ knowledge and on purpose. "Just getting even."
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Rock at the bottom of a waterfall, that is dry part of the year?
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very funny, Ouch, Fight, and others!

Windblade, you narrowed it down.

Lindyl39: You're very close! It is in northern Arizona, but it is not the famous Antelope Canyon (I posted a picture of Antelope a few months ago for this game).

There's nothing in the picture to give it scale, but this section is large enough to roller skate in, or for a family to have a picnic in.

Now where, exactly...?

[This Message was Edited on 11/26/2006]
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

The Wave, Paria Wilderness?
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

How did you find it?

It is The Wave, in the Coyote Buttes area of the Paria (pronounced like diahrrea) Wilderness. It's one of the most photographed rock formations in the American West. The Wave is about an hour west of Page, in far northern Arizona. I had the privilege of hiking there about eight years ago.

Linda: You were very close with Antelope Canyon! It's probably the same geological rock strata as the slot canyons in that area.
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

win a trip to northern Arizona and a week in a houseboat on Lake Powell.
  8. elliespad

elliespad Member

I honestly don't remember the exact search I used to find it. After you gave the clue about Northern Arizona and picnicing, I think I searched Northern Arizona Canyons and saw the Antlope canyon and it looked similiar so figured it was close. I saw a list of canyons, and one was WAVE. I clicked, and there it was, about 6 images of the canyon.

9. windblade

windblade Active Member

A trip to Northern Arizona. I want to visit all the places from the Tony Hillerman books of the Navajo Nation. I just finished his latest Leaphorn book.

Ken, did you know that Hillerman's brother did a book of great photography of the regions in the books? Really outstanding photos.

And where in the world is Lake Powell?
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I didn't know about Hillerman's brother's photography book. I will put it on hold at the library.

I have Hillerman's new novel on hold, but I'm #70 out of 75, so it might be a while.

Lake Powell is a huge, beautiful blue lake with thousand foot sandstone cliff walls. It's just upriver from the Grand Canyon.

Lindy: The houseboat would be a bit cold this time of year! But the lake wouldn't be crowded, and it sure would be beautiful!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2006]
  11. windblade

windblade Active Member

Lindy - Lake Powell sounds beautiful. I love the water. I'm gathering my warm clothes and starting to pack.

Ken, Thanks for the trip. You'll have to tell me what you think of Hillerman (brother) photos, since it's your area. I'll be curious to know.