Where in the world was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Dec 2, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Maybe this will make those who just got hit with snow and the frosty air feel a little warmer.

No clues yet.

Silly guesses always welcome.

The winner wins a free trip to this place.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2006]
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Well, it's kinda late here where I live, and I'm pretty sleepy.

Looked like a model for a future space shuttle at first.

Second guess: Donald Trump's latest "Trump Tower".
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Perhaps we could meet up with Shaharazad and the Arabian Knights while visiting there.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very nice of you, Carla. How neat that you saw a photo of Antelope Canyon in the gallery.

Elliespad: Good clue.

Fight: You weren't going to keep your hotel all to yourself, were you?

MeZombie: I don't think Trump had anything to do with this one, but you never know with The Donald.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2006]
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Knew this one too. It's very Dubai.....and Persian Gulf where the outrageous is easy and the simple is so difficult to find.

Nancy B
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Can't fool me.

It's a blow up of an ionic air cleaner that's been photoshoped into the picture.
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It is the tallest hotel in the world, the Burj Al Arab, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. That little circle toward the top is actually a tennis court (a picture of it was in one of my previous "Where in the World" games).

Here's some info. on the hotel:

The world's tallest hotel - where suites cost up to $15,000 a night - has officially opened in the Gulf emirate of Dubai.

The 202-suite Burj al-Arab - or Tower of the Arabs - stands 321 metres (1,060 feet) high and floats on its own man-made island.

Not only does the billowing, sail-shaped structure have its own submarine ride to an underwater restaurant complete with shark-infested aquarium, it is reputed to have the world's fastest lifts, travelling at a eye-popping seven metres per second.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2006]
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Forgot to say well done, Elliespad, too! So the Arabian Nights clue did it, eh?

That is a fast elevator, Fight. Imagine how dizzying it would be on the outside of the building, plummeting down toward the water below.

What do you suppose the $15,000 a night suite is like?

9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

You always make these so much fun! I'm guessing that it
    is Somewhere off Route 66 in the American Southwest!

Don't know for sure exactly though!

I am curious??

[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2006]
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

How'd you guess? It's just east of Tucumcari in east central New Mexico! We're trying to keep it a secret, though.
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

I found it doing searches for Sail boat building. Then saw a link for a Marriott hotel that was being built that fit that description. Thought that was it then found the picture.