Where in the world was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Dec 16, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here's a tough one.

As usual, click on my profile to see the photo.

Silly guesses are always welcome.

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Just want you to know I'm working on it. Thinking outloud. Looks like segments of a snake. Perhaps an observaiton tower? or memorial? First reminded me of a GRAPLOID on Tremors, where their mouth/head open up. Okay, this one's gonna be tough.[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2006]
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here's a hint. It's definitely not in the US!
    Ok, that's not much of a hint. It's somewhere in Africa.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2006]
  4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

That would be the launching pad for my rocket, right outside my back door!!

Space exploration is a hobby of mine. I think, gee, wait, i forgot?? I thought i was into Knitting right now??

Anyone seen my needles??

Maybe i sent them up in the last rocket to pluto, wait, Pluto is no longer considered a planet!
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Your hobbies give "space needle" a whole new meaning. :)

Another hint: The building is a famous monument of some kind, somewhere north of the Sahara.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

a church combined w/ a rocket launcher.
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Is it the Egyptian Space Centre,trying to mimic the pyramids.
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'll go for North Africa, Tunisia, Morocco or Algeria.

Can tell it's not UK, it's too sunny.

9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

... or maybe the embassy, since it's in Africa.
  10. jemz2185

jemz2185 New Member

my 5yr old daughter thinks it looks like a banana being peeled back wish i still had that kind of imagination lol
  11. mindbender

mindbender New Member

The last time I looked out my back window.

This is the sand-box trophey winner of 2004. My son's friend made this, along with some help from my son.

12. elliespad

elliespad Member

I reckon myself to be a fairly good sleuther, and I can't find a thing on this.
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The picture is of a colossal monument in north Africa, in a country with a coastline along the Mediterranean and one that has a strong connection with the French writer, Albert Camus. Looks like Rosiebud had narrowed it down...
    [This Message was Edited on 12/17/2006]
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

This was a hard one.

Here is a quote about the Monument of the Martyrs in Algiers, Algeria:

"This concrete memorial to the struggle for Algerian independence, having been designed according to a somewhat brutalist aesthetic, isn't exactly pleasing to the eye. Yet it's undeniably striking - you won't fail to miss its imposing bulk from wherever you are in Algiers.

The monument was opened in 1982, on the 20th anniversary of independence, and it presides over an area containing the best views out over the city."
  15. elliespad

elliespad Member

For finding this. I was up until about 1:30 am looking for this, then about 3 hours earlier today. I had trouble finding it even AFTER we were told what it was, HA.

You got us GOOD ken
  16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Wow; I hope you didn't lose too much sleep over this one. But think of all that you learned while searching!
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Great point about perceptions in the media about Africa. It is hard to find a lot online about Africa, isn't it? Except maybe for things like the pyramids or wildlife in Kenya. It's amazing how little I know about Algeria, come to think of it.

I'll bet media exposure is probably pretty limited within many strict Muslim countries in Africa, too, or countries with dictatorial governments.