Where in the world was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jan 20, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here's a challenging one, for anyone who wants to play.
    Click on my profile to see the picture.
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Is this a mosque in Turkey?

This is just a guess -- I can't afford to fry my brain with an internet search!

Greetings from your local zombie.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2007]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

probably our oil dollars at work.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

First clue: it is somewhere in central Asia. It's actually pretty far from the nearest ocean.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Is it The Masjid-i Shah, Isfahan, built by the Shah Abbas, 1612-37 ?
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The mosque you found looks a lot like the one in the picture. But alas, it's a different one.
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

This is in one of the oldest cities in the world. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it's a very famous, magnificent mosque. It also has something to do with Alexander the Great.
  8. elliespad

elliespad Member

How about Masjid Jami, Isfahan
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

More clues: It's somewhere along the famous Silk Road and it's in a country that ends in "stan."
    That might narrow it down, at least a little bit!
  10. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Alexander the Great was from Macedonia, but I have searched pictures of mosques in that area and I do not see anything like your picture. Am I in the right city? Kim :)
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Is it the "Blue Mosque" in Mazari-Sharif, Afghanistan?

Kim :)
  12. mezombie

mezombie Member

the Bibi Hanin mosque in Uzbekistan?
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Alexander the Great was from Macedonia, but he passed through--and probably conquered--this area in his travels. This city is as old as Babylon, historians say. It's in a country that's more obscure than Afghanistan
    You didn't think I'd make this easy, did you? :)
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You've got the right country, and I think the Bibi Hanim mosque is part of this complex. Well done.

Can you name this square and the famous city it's in?

Last clue: This is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
  15. mezombie

mezombie Member

Registan Square, Samarkand!

Phew! I do believe me brain is now officially fried!

I did manage to read the fascinating history of this site and the city, but my short term memory is shot. I'll leave it to you to expound on it.

16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Registan, in the city of Samarkand, Uzbekistan (this country used to be part of southern Russia).

Here's a bit from Wikipedia:

One of the most awesome sights in Central Asia, if not one of the most remarkable in the world, the Registan was the center of medieval Samarkand. It consists of three huge madrassas, forming three sides surrounding a huge square.

The Registan ensemble at the heart of Samarkand, restored to its original splendour, ranks first in Central Asia and among the greatest of all the grandiose and magnificent works of the Islamic world. Its meaning, sandy place, after a stream that washed sand over the earth, does little justice to the architectural and decorative wealth on show. Like the Shah-i-Zinda necropolis, repeated visits are necessary to grasp the depth of detail as changing light explores multiple shades of mosaic radiance.

Registan consists of 3 madrassahs: Ulug Beg Madrassah, Shir Dor Madrassah and Tillya Kari Madrassah

17. elliespad

elliespad Member

médersa
    (working Muslim seminary from the 16th century)

Situated on The Silk Road, Bukhara is more than two thousand years old. It is the most complete example of a medieval city in Central Asia, with an urban fabric that has remained largely intact. The monuments of interest include the Ismail Samani's famous tomb, a masterpiece of 10th-century Moslem architecture, and a number of 17th-century médersas.

********Oh Thank God Mezombie found it. I can't go to bed until these things are solved. A thousand thank yous.

18. mezombie

mezombie Member

It was worth it! This was fun. Thanks!

Gotta fry that brain sometimes...
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Mezombie: How did you find it?

Elliespad: Sorry; Mezombie beat you to it. But good sleuthing, and I'll bet you found a lot of incredible mosques in your search as well.
  20. elliespad

elliespad Member

It's amazing how many of these look alike. Go to this link, then scroll half way down to Bukhara, Uzbekistan. Doesn't it look like it?
    http://www.advantour.com/uzbekistan/bukhara.htm[This Message was Edited on 01/21/2007]