Where in the world was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Mar 20, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hey, everybody. Haven't been on much lately. My wife and I are buying a house and moving in several weeks.

Thought it was time for a new game. I've been enjoying Paulmack's Scottish castles, though!

[This Message was Edited on 03/20/2007]
  2. raspberrykisses

raspberrykisses New Member

but it sure is pretty.
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

It looks like an Anasazi cliff dwelling to me.

Is it the White House Ruins, Canyon de Chelly, Arizona?

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You got it! That was too easy. :)

It is indeed the White House Ruins in Canyon de Chelly (pronounced "Shay") on the Navajo Nation in northeastern Arizona. The ruins were once an Anasazi dwelling. 13th century, I'm guessing?

Mezombie, you may already know this, but the canyon is really the heart of the Navajo homeland. In the 1860s, Kit Carson went through the canyon, burning fruit trees and rounding up Navajo people. He and the US army then led them on a forced march, the "Long Walk," to Bosque Redondo, NM, where the Navajo people were imprisoned for four years, before being allowed to return to their homeland between their four sacred mountains.

Years ago, I hiked down into the canyon on a beautiful trail, and I once went four-wheeling through the canyon with a Hopi friend. We also used to take our Navajo students camping for a few days in the canyon. It's an amazing place, with a creek, beautiful fruit trees, ancient ruins, and thousand-foot sandstone walls with desert varnish.
  5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thanks for sharing the info. I am sure you and your wife are looking forward to being in your new home, how exciting! Kim :)
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I am very excited about our new home. Not quite sure how I'm going to handle the whole moving thing, but I'm sure it will all work out.

Hope you are doing well.

7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Good one,pity I missed it,was too busy in the land of nod.
    Wouldn't have known this one but may have got it down to Arizona after a bit of searching.
    Wouldn't mind hiking around this place myself,I bet the scenery around there is spectacular.
    Well,good luck with the move.
  8. mezombie

mezombie Member

Hey, if it wasn't for my traveling friends and relatives, and the postcards and photos they share with me, I'd never find the answers to these posts!

My sister and her family visited this area several years ago. Luckily for me, my nephew shared the photos they took and explained a bit about the Anasazi to me. Otherwise I would have guessed "something somewhere in one of the Four Corner states"!

Thanks for the history. I did not know all this. Well, I think Leaphorn mentions this in The Shape Shifter, right? I get my history lessons from the oddest places!

You must have fond memories of your time in the canyon. I can only imagine how breathtaking it must be to actually be among such beauty. I love your description of the area.

Your photo is gorgeous. I hope you keep it up a while for all to enjoy.
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

your knowledge is impressive!

I think you're right about Leaphorn mentioning the Long Walk in Shape Shifter.

Canyon de Chelly is a beautiful place and I do have lots of fond memories of it. The canyon connects with an equally beautiful canyon, Canyon del Muerto. Check out Google Images for more good pictures, if you're interested.
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I would have guessed Arizona but thats easy when I already know the answer.

Amazing, they have cave dwellings in various countries over this way, Turkey, Greece and further east, these people were so resiliant and resourceful, to live where there is nothing but rock and to make your home there.

11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The Anasazi ruins in the southwest are amazing indeed. High and virtually innaccessible in some cases. At many of them, you ask, "how did they get UP there?" And some of the cliff dwellings were occupied for as long as if not longer than America as been a country.

I'm interested in ancient dwellings in Europe and Africa. One of the most beautiful is Petra, in the Middle East.
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

the cave dwellings I saw in Turkey were the same, high up, the ancients really weren't so primitive, were they?