Where in the world was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Nov 9, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hi, everybody. Still feeling pretty miserable, so I haven't been on much. But I did get my copy of GILEAD, our book club book, and I thought it was time for a new game (and maybe this will lure Paulmac back on).

Clue: this is not in the United States.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

absolutely gorgeous wherever it is...

Is it within a 3-4 hour flight of eastern coast of US? LOL, would love to go...

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I would guess it would be within at least a 10 hour flight from the Eastern Seaboard, but not within a four hour flight.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

There are a few places in Colorado that look like that, but you must have missed the clue that I snuck in (see above--it's not in the US).

Here's another clue: This location was used in a big budget movie not too long ago.

Will check back later for guesses--time for a dinner break.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2007]
  5. mezombie

mezombie Member

My (wild) guess is Belize.
  6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

It's great to see you posting more. Hope you are feeling better today. I was guessing this might have to do w/"Pirates of the Caribbean", but I am thinking that was all shot in the Caribbean. You were saying this is about 10 hr. for the eastern seaboard. So, is it the wrong movie? Kim :)
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Can you be more specific--where in Croatia?

Hello, Boltchik! Feeling a little better, thanks. Sorry, not Pirates of the Carribean.

Clue: the movie which used this location is an adaptation of a famous book by an English writer (I know, that doesn't narrow it down a whole lot).

8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Beautiful pic and great to see you posting.

This game was always a favorite of mine although I'm usually on too late to answer (as if I could).

Nancy B
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

This is such a gorgeous part of the world! the waterfalls are named,,,"plitvice" and are located in the Plitvicka Jezera National Park in Croatia,,,,,,,,

Thanks for posting this game! some spices from this area would be nice eh' ,,,,,,,,,,,,Sis

Maybe Pauls P.C. is on the blink,,,,
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It is Plitvice National Park in Croatia. Used to be considered Yugoslavia, I think. Absolutely beautiful array of ponds, forests, mountains, and waterfalls.

Another hint about the movie that was shot there: it has the King of Beasts in it.
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I am so glad you are feeling a little better, good news!

I am only seeing older Italian westerns that were filmed there, and "Treasure of Silver Lake". Nothing recent. Back to googling........Kim :)
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Great to see you up and about. We have missed you and your game.

Yes, indeed. Very scenic. Used to be in Yugoslavia, but it was moved after the Piltdown Conference at Runnymede.

King of the beasts. That gives it away. Born Free. One of my favorite movies. Song won an Oscar for James Barry who also scored many James Bond movies.

Now let's see. Great English writers. Ok, I'm guessing the first name of the great English writer is

Mary or

Or possibly Noel or Ivor.

Anyone in desperate need of a puzzle to solve can figure out the last names of the above. There are, of course, often multiple correct answers.

[This Message was Edited on 11/10/2007]
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Kim: The movie is an adaptation of a novel by the writer whose initials are CSL. But now that I'm looking on IMDB, I'm not so sure they used this national park. It might have been another one in Croatia.

A poem for Rock:

I see you are up to
    your usual wit.
    I've always enjoyed
    the reading of it.

Hello, Fight: How are things in Wisconsin? I liked your Sandbagger's Land.

14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I would have said New Zealand anyway.

Nice to see you back, hope you're able to stay.

15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

my letter between g and i is broken so can't say a lot. It's a useful little letter, as it turns out.

Anywo, (see!) if it's CSL and te King of Beasts was in te title it must be tat most interesting Britis Cristian writer CS Lewis and te work would te Te Lion Te Witc and te Wardrobe... insert missing letter, please.

Really good to see you playing your little mind games!

16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rosie: Hope you are well and life is merry in between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Rosie, I've been listening to a Scottish singer/musician named Dougie Maclean who is fantastic. Have you heard of him?

Rafiki: Wat the H? It's quite amusing reading your sentences without that oh-so-useful letter. What 'appened to your h key? You're right, the movie was TE CRONICLES OF NARNIA: TE LION, TE WITCH AND TE WARDROBE.
  17. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thank you so much for posting a new picture. I came in way too late to play, but it was fun looking at that beautiful pic....when I think of Croatia, et al, I think of cold and snow.

This is a mythbuster, I would say. I guess I've seen too many WWII movies, newsreals, Cold War Era spy movies, etc.

Indeed a lovely place. Thank you again.

Hope Paul peeks in and sees the fun he's missing...and how he's missed.

18. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

O, you ave been missed!

I am lauging but my keyboard affliction as turned my laug into a scream: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Feel as good as you possibly can!
  19. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

never would have thought of Croatia. Is that a country now? Hard to learn geography in some parts of the world; it keeps changing.

Thanks for the complimentary verse, Ken. You must display your versifying talent more often.

Sorry to hear about your keyboard mishap, Rafiki. As the British might say, "'ow 'orrible!"

20. sisland

sisland New Member

OK! The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe! My Girls loved that Movie ,,,,,,Bought "TCN" Book for youngest girl for her Birthday a few years back,,,,

Now i can tell her where it was filmed!,,,,,,,Glad your back! we all Missed you!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope you continue to improve!,,,,,,,,,,,Sis