Where is a good place to live wit Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chinlover, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Chinlover

Chinlover New Member

Where is the most advantageous places to live when you have fibro? I am primarily talking about weather?
  2. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Are you new to the board? I see you haven't filled out a profile yet so I don't know where you are currently living. I have asked this question before and found that most of us with fibro sufferers live in the north and south where the cold and the humidity alike both effect fibro. How long have you had it also? Seems like more people in the southwest are having an easier time. Or at least more comfortable and I even hate using that term because none of us with fibro are comfortable. I know when I am in warmer weather, I am more comfortable. Maybe not but I didn't get much of a response from the southwest or southern cally. I live in the pac northwest and this is definetely not good for fibro 10 months out of the year.

[This Message was Edited on 03/24/2007]
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

when I found out about what was causing me pain etc. I do much better here( i live in ventura) It's in the 60's and
    70's all year long.Inland is higher. It's dry heat out here though. I've done a whole lot better. Linda
  4. wolfclan

wolfclan New Member

Hi lovethesun,
    I am from Redondo Beach but moved to the Pacific NW (my mom lived here and was ill), my fibro and mps has gotten so out of control not to mention other problems, newest one osteoporosis, lack of vitamin D, not much sun here and less activity the last year with two extensive knee surgeries. I would love to be back in the sun not to mention be on the beach again. I miss it terribly, but finances do not allow me to go home just yet. I know my condition would get better, say hi to So. Calif for me. thanks, Wolfclan.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2007]
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I think the best place for any of us to live would be somewhere with temps in the 70's year round, with little or no pollution.

For that very reason, I am begging my husband to retire early with me, to Panama.

Don't laugh, it isn't all tropical to be such a small country. Just 60 miles outside Panama City, which is on the Gulf side, 3,000 feet in the mountains, they have lovely areas which are just that, perpetual spring, without the allergies. Virtually no pollution, and a slower pace.

Their health care facilities are rated higher than in most of the US, believe it or not, and one can live there, if one gets there in the next six months or so, and gets a reasonable home, for $2,000 to $2,500 a month. Try that here.

They are going to build a new, larger canal, and once it gets closer to it, the real estate, which has gone up dramatically, because people have really discovered it, MSNBC did an article on it, as have several of the money magazines, including Money and Forbes, housing is going to explode.

One can get a pension status there, if one is receiving Medicare or disability, and you do not have communicable diseases. That pension status means no property taxes for twenty years and big DISCOUNTS, mandated by law on virtually everything.

I want the slower pace, the temperature, good humidity, and no pollution, in the worst way.

It is only two and a half hours from the US by air, has great telephone service, fine, first class banking, which is protected by law, as in IRS forget it, and Panama City is a combination of Miami and the Riviera in cosmopolitan airs, modernity, etc. They have little serious crime, which is more than one can say for where I live.

US TV is available via dish, high speed internet is in most parts of the country, as I said, great banking, great cost of living, and one can be back here in no time at all.

Oh, and a full-time housekeeper is about $250 a month plus board.
  6. Chinlover

Chinlover New Member

I had lived in Colorado for 20 years and never had an issue. Within a sort time of living here, I have had incredible fatigue and then all the symptoms started. I had Weight Loss Surgery last year and thought at first the pain I felt was the tremendous changes my body was going through. However, my rheumotologist diagnosed me differently. I am new to the board and haven't filled out anything at all. I didn't even realize their was a profile to fill out. Also, Northern Illinois, right on the Wisconsin border is very cold in the winter and lots of humidity year round. My husband is considering a job in Orlando. How would that be? thanks Chinlover!
  7. Chinlover

Chinlover New Member

Do you think dry heat or humidity is better? Chinlover
  8. Chinlover

Chinlover New Member

Winters on the Wisconsin Illinois border is sunless, gray,cold and humid. It does nothing for my depression, fatigue etc. I love the sun. My husband is considering a move to Orlando. Would that help me? Chinlover
  9. Chinlover

Chinlover New Member

Wow Panama is an interesting thought. I have considered Mexico around the Riviera Maya for Retirement. Are you close to retirement yet? We still have 4 kids in school and are in that teenager season of our lives so a move to another country probably wouldn't work at this point, but is something to keep in mind for later. Thanks for your reply. Chinlover
  10. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I live in the mountains of central Idaho. It can get very cold in winter, but stays mild in summer. It's very dry here, no humidity. I love it here, but don't know what it would be like to live anywhere else with fibro. I do experience a lot of pain, but it seems to be year round.

I would think humid climates might be harder on fibro, but not sure.
    Mini
  11. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

I lived in Minnesota or Iowa my whole life until about 3 years ago when I moved to Arizona. The cold and the humidity of the Midwest made my CFS and fibro much worse. I hoped that living here in the desert would help. The warmth and the dryness both definitely help as I notice when I go back to the Midwest, when it rains or is cold here, or during monsoon season when there is some humidity along with more frequent rain then pain greatly and quickly increases.

If it were me, Chinlover, I would still have increased pain in Orlando due to the humidity there but I would expect it to be better than Illinois. Hope that helps.

Good luck to you.

Goldenlight
  12. Daisys

Daisys Member

I live in the PNW too, looks like there's plenty of us here!

Whenever I go back to Colorado to visit, I get much better. It looks like high altitude may be good for me.
    Humidity makes me worse, as does dark days.

When this was being discussed before, some said high temperatures make FM worse. So, too hot, too cold, too humid all make it worse.

We're already discussing where to move after retirement.

I hear Costa Rice is a very good place for Americans to retire to. It sounds a lot like Panama.
  13. millennia

millennia New Member

I live in New York, but I have family in Arizona. Now I know that the fact that I'm on vacation and therefore less stressed probably plays a roll in how I feel, but I feel so much better in AZ. My knees feel almost normal when I'm out there! And I was there in the summer when it was almost 120 degrees once. We're looking to move out there now.
  14. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Chinlover,

I have lived in Tx for 30+years since DH was transferred from NYC or should I say LI, NY. I didn't have this DD while I was there growing up but it sure was cold and damp there. However, I have never lived in a dry climate so I couldn't really tell you but I would guess that the dry climate is alot better.

Here in Texas the weatheris usually fairly warm (except for the winters but in comparison to NY they are much milder. We did have some ice and yucky weather this winter and I was very glad when it started to warm up.

My body cannot stand cold and damp but I would rather take the high heat of the summer than the cold, damp winter. The heat does make me feel at least a little better I am sure than the cold. However, it just seems like I ache all the time with my FM and CMFP.

Warm hugs,

Granni
  15. Granniluvsu

Hi Chinlover,

I have lived in Tx for 30+years since DH was transferred from NYC or should I say LI, NY. I didn't have this DD while I was there growing up but it sure was cold and damp there. However, I have never lived in a dry climate so I couldn't really tell you but I would guess that the dry climate is alot better.

Here in Texas the weatheris usually fairly warm (except for the winters but in comparison to NY they are much milder. We did have some ice and yucky weather this winter and I was very glad when it started to warm up.

My body cannot stand cold and damp but I would rather take the high heat of the summer than the cold, damp winter. The heat does make me feel at least a little better I am sure than the cold. However, it just seems like I ache all the time with my FM and CMFP.

Warm hugs,

Granni
  16. Granniluvsu

Hi Chinlover,

Warm hugs,

Granni
  17. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

We are considering a move to South Australia next year,
    we are going there for a visit April 1st- 16 which is there fall there so I'll see what there fall is like.

Love to all, Ann
  18. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

a month affordable. I think most of us on the board would agree that isn't affordable for those of us on disability or waiting for it. Wow, if I had that much to spend on housing, I'd be in heaven.

I'm not knocking your idea, though. For the ones that could afford it, it sounds wonderful.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/25/2007]
  19. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I live in the middle of Illinois and our winters are just a little less miserable than yours. I've thought about Florida too but I wonder about all the humidity. It certainly is more affordable than California.

My good friend just moved to California and she lives in a part where the cost of living isn't much different than here. Of course, housing is still high. I'm looking on the internet for one or two bedroom apartments in that area that take my little babies (doggies). I'd like to try it out for a year after I sell my house.

She told me her health is much better since moving there. She has arthritis and some other problems that sound like Fibro to me. She hasn't taken pain meds or had a headache since she moved. Ah, to dream.
  20. TrishinSpokane

TrishinSpokane New Member

As of last July I relocated from Central Florida to Spokane, Washington and don't miss the humidity one bit. Not to mention the threat of hurricanes and having to evacuate from your home inland. The best move I could of ever done.

I have lived in Southern California (originally from and diagnosed originally in the early 80's), Colorado, South Carolina, Georgia and Reno, Nevada. I would have to say I felt the best in NV, CA and now Spokane. The humidity just made me feel so awful, unbearably wet(sweat) and sick all the time.

Trish
    [This Message was Edited on 03/25/2007]