Where is Aussie??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debra49659, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I realized I hadn't seen her in a bit..and I was thinking about her.:)

2. KerryK

KerryK Member

I miss her too. She keeps things interesting around here.
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I hope she wasn't banned. If she left I hope she left of her own accord. Well, Aussie where ever you are....

you are missed:)

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I'm guessing that Aussie has been banned. PH warned us all that they were taking a zero stance on attacking other members and Aussie was aware of this when she posted her messages a few weeks ago.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I figured that she was banned.....I'm glad that pro health is trying to stop people from getting attacked but I will miss her
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I don't think PH would have deleted all of Aussie's messages if it was just a two week suspension. I noticed about a month ago that Aussie hadn't posted for a couple of weeks and I wonder now if possibly she had been placed on a two week suspension back then. I can't see PH banning someone without a prior warning.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2010]
  7. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

She was banned because of a bad word? Sometimes I feel like I am in kindergarten again.
    I suppose rules are rules and I did not see the post so I can't comment on that post. Aussie was a great source for information, spelling it out so I could understand was very kind.

Aussie all the best and I'll miss you.
  8. quanked

quanked Member

While browsing in a book store earlier today I saw a book with a title something like---How ????? and Librarians can save the world... let me tell you how. I thought of aussiewoman.

I often enjoyed reading her posts. I liked her direct, clear, thorough and organized approach in her writing. No ambiguity in her communications--I really appreciated that.

I do not remember reading any of what kjm posted. I did notice that aussie had not posted in awhile.

If you do read the board I will miss your input as well. If you are on another board let us know so we can visit you there (through someone else?).

I thank you for giving this info kjm. It seems like we should be informed when someone has been banned so we are not left wondering and sometimes coming up with drastic explanations. It crossed my mind that perhaps aussie had become very ill or had died. How can we know what to think if someone does not tell us what is going on? I am relieved to know that she is alive and "well".
  9. misskoji

misskoji Member

I am coming out of "moderator closet" here, :)
    Sometimes when a member is known to be a moderator, they tend to be treated differently, unfortunately.

I just want to set a couple things straight. I don't wish to violate Aussie's or anyone else's privacy; nor will I comment on any actions or warnings on any members.

Just know I, or any other moderator don't choose "sides" or single any user out for any reason.
    I'm often reading/moderating the board from my smartphone, as sometimes the laptop is not doable for me that day/hour,ect. Its harder to manage things this way. The fastest or easiest response is for a moderator to pull a post that is innapropriate and further look into the situation later (as I do from my laptop).

Please remember moderators are:
    (who often also have health issues)
    Subject to human error and/or fibro fog. ;)
    May be unable to respond to innapropriate messages and other situation in "real" time
    Here to help

I am grateful to Prohealth for providing us this forum. It has helped me through many years of suffering, as is true for many. It's so very nice to connect with others who understand, and to be able to offer support when we can. I'm sure we can all appreciate that. Helping to moderate, I felt, was the least I could do.

Just like any forum, there must be rules and guidlines. Prohealth has helped many of us, they don't ask much of us-just to follow the gentle rules they have put in place.

Take care all,

10. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Koji, I appreciate the explanation, though I really don't understand.

I didn't always agree with Aussie and I suppose she could be outspoken -- but she was quick to greet new people and eager to help, at least from my experience.

I, too, will miss her.

And I, too, am very grateful to ProHealth for providing us this forum - and helping us out by bringing in an expert like Dr. Nicolson!!

[This Message was Edited on 09/22/2010]
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Kina - We all have a chronic illness and we have our bad days and can be irritable at times, whether from pain or absolute exhaustion. That, however, is not a good enough reason to be outright rude to other board members. We have all been warned about following PH's rules, and therefore, I imagine most of us who have been here a while are being super vigilant about watching what we say.

I have helped to moderate a couple of CFS forums over the years and once someone is banned, it is usually permanent. People don't get banned for one incidence - there is usually a history of problems. Moderators don't like having to ban members and it is usually a last resort after all else fails.

As to this particular incidence, there was more than one message. I saw three and some were personal attacks against a member of this group. It wasn't confined to one thread, but followed on to another thread which definitely crossed the line. I would consider that to be bullying. It's unfortunate because Aussie contributed some great information to this board.

12. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...because I appreciate what they do and because they have the difficult responsibility to make subjective judgements deciding what's "over the line" and what's not-- and then decide how to respond.

We all have different opinions about what helps us. Some of us have strong opinions about what CAUSES the illnesses that we suffer from, too. We have different opinions about how to react and respond to others in our lives who don't understand and/or don't seem to WANT to understand. We sometimes have different opinions about doctors, too -- and about a whole lot of other things.

It requires a subjective judgement to determine when someone is simply expressing a different opinion than another poster's, and when they are "debating" or "attacking" someone. If, for example, someone posts that they believe in taking mega-doses of manganese -- am I "debating" or "attacking" that person if I point out that too much manganese can be toxic because it accumulates in the body and can be absorbed by fat cells, causing health problems? ...Is someone "debating" when they point out that a particular prescription drug hasn't been effective for some of the others who post here and that many posters have found a certain supplement more effective?

Are they "debating" or "attacking" when they bring the same thing up often (or many times), knowing that there are some others here who disagree?

The job of a moderator is not easy at all, and they deserve our gratitude for taking on that responsibility. I don't know exactly how much interpersonal discussion goes on between the poster and the moderator when something is considered inappropriate. Perhaps more interaction would help to avoid misunderstandings. And I do think that a policy to "warn" posters who take a SMALL step over that "fine line" that they've said something inappropriate (and give them an opportunity to apologize before that thread is deleted) could be helpful - but that's not my call to make!!

[This Message was Edited on 09/23/2010]
  13. misskoji

misskoji Member

I have read all of the suggestions and ideas. I have communicated with Prohealth regarding some posting policies and FAQ's going in to a sticky to be posted for a while. I'll work on that and get it done asap.

If you find a post innapropriate, please click the report as innapropriate button beneath the post. It helps us moderators to find those threads/comments faster. Thanks for your help.

Take care all,