Where is the Oprah magazine article?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rfg958, Oct 18, 2006.

1. rfg958

rfg958 New Member

Does anyone know if the O magazine article on cfs is available so I could copy and paste it and send it to some of my family and friends? Where would it be. It seems to me someone should copy it so we can spread the word. I have a copy of the article and would like it in an easy-to-send form. thanks.
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It was in the September issue. I'm not sure if it would be summarized on her website or not. Oprah.com Your public library might have a copy. Page 231.

Marta
  3. rfg958

rfg958 New Member

what I am looking for is something typed that I can use in an email. If noone knows where there is one I may be desperate enough to type it in myself. Rita
  4. rfg958

rfg958 New Member

looking for the article on cfs from the Sept. issue and couldn't find it there. I guess in that time I could have typed it in here. hmmm
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It's pretty long to type. Sure you can't send copies of the article?

Marta
  6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

You can go to the library and copy it. I think you're allowed to do that.

God Bless.
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have a scanner on my printer that I use to scan documents and then I can attach to an email. If you don't have one of these maybe a friend or relative might have one and you could ask them to scan for you. It's so long to type!!

I would do this for you except my copy is being passed around for my family to read.

Can someone do this and post it here?
  8. DJGirl

DJGirl New Member

Thanks for the heads up on the article. I didn't even know it was in the magazine that has been sitting on my table all month!

It is a rather lengthy article and I would suggest you copy the 4-paged article and mail it to your friends/family. Lengthy articles are easier to read on paper rather on a pc.

I'm copying my article to give to a friend that has CFS/FM also.

Thanks again!

9. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

looking in your local Library. You can probly make a copy right there of it too.
  10. rfg958

rfg958 New Member

I posted this in a separate message as well as here so we poor ones can find it as easy as possible.

Excerpts: "You Think You're Tired?" by Mary A. Fischer from O magazine, Sept. 2006

. . . news. Scientists at the CDC had (have) found credible evidence of a biological cause for CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) . . .

**(they found) people with chronic fatigue syndrome have a genetic quirk that causes them to overrespond to physical and emotional stress.

(CFS or FMS) can be as debilitating as multiple sclerosis and AIDS. . .Many don't recover, . . . (some say) "I never feel anything close to well."

onset can be sudden or gradual . . many keep pushing themselves. . .

CFS was first recognized in the mid-1980's. . .For the groundbreaking CDC study, published in the April 2006 issue of "Pharmacogenomics, 227 volunteers patients and healthy controls--checked into a Wichita hospital. . .teams delved into genetics and found that the DNA code in people with CFS is different in genes that are important to both the immune and sympathetic nervous systems--pointing in particular, to 3 genes related to the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, which affects the stress response. . .CFS VOLUNTEERS HAD WHAT'S CALLED A HIGH ALLOSTATIC LOAD the cumulative wear and tear on the body resulting from inadequate biological responses to changes in the everyday environment as well as to emotional and physical stressors. . .in healthy people, those immune cells would adapt to the trauma and start healing the body.

. . .With the results of the study researchers predict that a diagnostic test and treatment for CFS are only 3 to 5 years away. . .

(Some say) that CFS is where multiple sclerosis used to be 25 years ago before MRI