Where to start?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mafusula, Sep 24, 2005.

1. mafusula

mafusula New Member

I have ben diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Restless Legs Syndrome. Fortunately the Neuro has the RLS under control but I'm yet to find a pain killer that works. I've tried Neurontin but it gave me migraines so at the moment I'm taking over the counter meds.

The pain is increasing, 24/7, especially in my thighs during the day. I get about 3-4 hours sleep and then wake with sore shoulders,ribs, hips and knees. At night I take 1mg Clanazapam and 30 mg Baclofen, but it does nothing for the pain, just makes me sleepy and I'm like a zombie the next day. I'm only 54 but I feel like an old woman when I try to get out of bed in the morning.

I saw a Rhuemy a few years ago back as she made me feel like it was all in my head. I live in a small country town so It's hard to find a good Rhuemy or Neuro, they usually travel from town to town.

The pain is driving me mad and I don't know what to do or what other pain meds there are.

Ihope someone in the group can help me.
    Take care
    Gayl
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mafusula:
    Have you tried calling a hospital in your area (or even out of your area) to find out if you can use one of their doctors? It might be worth a try. I know what pain you're in and I got no relief until my rheumatolgist gave me some medication to ease it. Try to rest.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

I see where you said that you saw a rhuemy a few years back.
    Maybe there is one near you that might be more up to date on fibro.
    The pain does drive you nuts! I totaly understand where you are coming from.

If you can't get into a doc soon maybe the ER might help you.

At our ER here the docs are pretty understanding about pain and will help you out with meds till you can get into your doc. That is if you hardly ever go into the ER. They can be pretty tuff on the ones who are just drug seeking.

One time I went to ER for the pain and when my regular doc received the report it opened up his eyes a bit and he was more understanding. Probably cuz I never go into the ER. Walked around with a kidney stone one time waiting to get into my regular doc. So he knows my pain tolerance is pretty high.

I pray that you find someone who will help you.

Take care, Twinkles :)
  4. The only thing that ecen touches my fibro pain is vicodin. Although alot of drs are hesitant to write scripts for them. Just tell them you need something as the pain is unbearable at times. good luck! by the way welcome, I see you are fairly new!
  5. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi Gayl,

I'm so sorry you hurt so bad. I have the pain in my legs, as well. I take between 1 and 3 10mg hydrocodone (vicodin) a day and it takes care of the pain for a few hours. My regular doctor won't prescribe it for me, but I started with a doctor at a fibromyalgia center and she has no problem with it.

Do you know anyone else in your area with chronic pain? Maybe they can tell you the name of a good doctor.

You might do a search here for a bath recipe from Shirl that really does take the pain away for awhile. It's epsom salts and hydrogen peroxide.

Wishing you some pain-free hours today.

Francie
  6. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Have you given magnesium a try? This has helped me more than anything else. I do understand about your doctor situation; I have the same problem here.

There are several posts here on magnesium. Try a search. I take a mag combo in the AM. (no mag oxide..it's pure laxative). Then, before bed I take a mag/malic acid combo with milk.

This has helped me more than anything...and I can't take pain meds...too many reactions.