Whew!! I think I am going to survive this sciatic attack

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Seagull, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Seagull

Seagull New Member

It hit me out of the blue last Thursday night, while I was sitting watching the late news on TV. I had just cooled down from exercising.

The pain was so sudden and excrusiating that I did not know what was happening. I have never had sciatica pain before and did not know how to cope with it.

I went to my massage therapist and chiro the next morning and they were able to determine that the trigger points in my gluteus medius and minimus were the problem and apparently were pinching the sciatic nerve. Both muscles were hard as cement and the whole surrounding area of the upper gluts and hip and thigh were hot to the touch. They tried everything possible to loosen the muscles up but nothing worked. So, the chiro told me that I should go see my doctor right away.

Naturally, I could not get into the doctor because his office was closed for the holiday, so I ended up in the emergency room. Thankfully, a nurse practitioner knew something about FMS and MPS and was able to presribe two meds to help alleviate the pain immediately. And, today my doctor was able to look over everything and he called in a third med to speed up the recovery (I hope).

Anyway, the pain has greatly subsided and the muscle hardness is going down, as is the heat and numbness. I am expecting to be back to "normal" by week's end. OMG, I cannot believe some people live with that kind of pain for longer than I have. I hope they have some recourse to minimize it.
  2. Seagull

Seagull New Member

It hit me out of the blue last Thursday night, while I was sitting watching the late news on TV. I had just cooled down from exercising.

The pain was so sudden and excrusiating that I did not know what was happening. I have never had sciatica pain before and did not know how to cope with it.

I went to my massage therapist and chiro the next morning and they were able to determine that the trigger points in my gluteus medius and minimus were the problem and apparently were pinching the sciatic nerve. Both muscles were hard as cement and the whole surrounding area of the upper gluts and hip and thigh were hot to the touch. They tried everything possible to loosen the muscles up but nothing worked. So, the chiro told me that I should go see my doctor right away.

Naturally, I could not get into the doctor because his office was closed for the holiday, so I ended up in the emergency room. Thankfully, a nurse practitioner knew something about FMS and MPS and was able to presribe two meds to help alleviate the pain immediately. And, today my doctor was able to look over everything and he called in a third med to speed up the recovery (I hope).

Anyway, the pain has greatly subsided and the muscle hardness is going down, as is the heat and numbness. I am expecting to be back to "normal" by week's end. OMG, I cannot believe some people live with that kind of pain for longer than I have. I hope they have some recourse to minimize it.
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

and sometimes it's so bad I get sick to my stomach and on occasion it makes me cry. I just ride it out and eventually it goes away. Never have taken anything for it, I guess. Never think about it!

Marilyn :)
  4. Ness

Ness New Member

I am going through this pain right now..never really had it before..I have been dealing with it for the past week and half. It came on out of the blue gets strong then dies down then strong.....

I have had to take my heating pad to work lately...Talk about being in the HOT SEAT!!!!! LOL

I have learned over the past 2 years since I was diagnoised with Fibro to expect the unexpected with this unwelcome DD>

Peace
    Ness
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2002]
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

That was one of the First orthopedic problem that I had that caused me Major Pain. When it starts to increase in pain I take a Soma, and a Vicodin and that heads most of the Pain off. Then I take a Pretty Hot, but not to hot, shower, then sit in a Striaght back chair with my feet flat on the ground, hands on knees and sit as tall as I can against the back of the chair. Usually about 15 mins in the chair helps, then I use a Massager on my low back.

I also have a Sacrum on the right side that pops out of place, just stepping off a curb or a step can cause it to slip. My Friend who is a Massage therapist, had a treatment that would put it back into place. I would lay on the table, and relax my right leg, and then she would move it around till I could feel the relief, then she would hold the leg like that for about 2 mins, worked everytime.

Trouble is She's in Idaho and I can't find anyone with her Knowledge and in a affordable price range.

I believe that the Massage therphay is the best treatment if you have MPS, OA, and other orthopedic problems.
    I spent 18 months doing PT and then when I was release I started seeing my Friend.

I can tell the difference in my body aches since I quit the Massages.

Hope you get over the pain totally, and take it easy on the back now, be good to yourself and let someone else do the Heavy lifting, bending over to pick things up, unless you have one of thoes handy grabber sticks around. Stress set's off a back ache, which sets off a Sciatic, or as I call it a Physcotic attack.

Painfull and I'm gald you got some help for it.

Sincerely
    kredca4
  6. BonBons

BonBons New Member

So glad to hear you got some relief; sciatica can be tricky. I had a tumor/neuroma on my sciatic nerve root. I'm fine now but it occasionally flares up. I have a post about it - riding in cars is the worst; guess the vibrations set it off. In any case, great to hear you are recovering. Bon