Whew, I wasn't expecting this...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bren2135, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I was off work recently due to a bad back flare (one week). Returned last week for 4 hours/day, and this week at 5 hours/day, per doctor's orders.

This morning, my supervisor told me to leave immediately, that I was not permitted to return until I've had a full release.

They don't know I have FM. I've been working just 3-4 days a week for the past year, and debilitating flares for me happen only occasionally - so I've been able to manage, with a day on, a day off.

Should I disclose my illness? Are part time hours 'reasonable accommodations', legally required by employers? Or, can they just blow this off by saying, "It's our policy." ?

I don't know WHAT to do! Can't say how long it will be till I can handle a full day.. Could be working part time, according to my doc, but can't because of my employer.

Meanwhile... there is no money tree growin' in my back yard (just checked!)

I'd sure appreciate hearing your comments, experiences, advice..

Hugs,
    Brenda
  2. azbubba

azbubba New Member

Brenda,

If you do not notify your employer that you have a medical condition that requires reasonable accomodation, then they may be able to terminate you without notice, depending on the laws of your state.

It is true that some employers are not real helpful towards employees with needs requiring accomodation. However, telling your employer's human resources department or manager should ensure that they treat you fairly.

If you do not want everyone to know that you have FM (or anything else), you may want to tell whomever you're notifying that you want this information confidential. This should not be a needed step, but making that request may trigger the thought in their minds that "oh, I better not mention this to anyone else".

Hope this helps.
    Bubba
  3. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

Thank you..

Bumping this up
  4. code34me

code34me New Member

I did not tell my last employer about my FM at first. I was in alot of pain one day and I had to tell my boss. (She was a nurse and probably made a big difference.)

Come to find out she had a FM support group at her church and was so understanding once she knew. It might make more sense to your boss why you are sick sometimes and have to work part-time?

Mabey set up an appointment with you boss so he or she will understand this is an important matter for you. Mabey bring in some lierature also for he/she to take with them and read up on?

I do believe it would feel better for you to let them know and they might end up being impressed at what you are doing with this dability?

Just a thought from me.
    Take care of you! Codey
  5. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

..for your advice and comments. It helps clear my head, y'know?

Well, the next chapter in this story is, I've decided to leave this job. This profession. Have been making so many adjustments to accommodate my limitations, I've been working just part time for a year, and now I can't even do that.

I have to be honest, here. I've come to a crossroads. I can no longer pick and choose clients who meet my criteria (it's unrealistic, as senior citizens are disabled themselves, and their needs change daily!)

What I will do next, remains to be seen. Not sure where to start, but it should prolly be with a doctor who is familiar with work assessments, yes?

Hugs,
    Brenda